More Captain Jack Sparrow?

Magenta Panther

Original Poster
So! Now that cancel culture just lost to Johnny Depp, will "Disney" allow him to be in any more Pirates movies?

I say it should. I originally thought that his baggage would hurt the Pirates film series, but after this court case, his street cred is through the roof. His return as Captain Jack would guarantee a blockbuster box office. I know I'd go to see it.

Meanwhile, I'll just leave this here:

sparrow.jpg

Jacob Marley

I surely hope he's back as Jack someday. The question is, will HE want to come back to Disney? Last I heard he was steamed at the company for rushing to drop him before all the facts came out and his story was heard. Regardless, I am happy for Johnny either way.

mf1972

i just watched the recent fantastic beasts movie on hbo max. if i were depp, i’d stay away from that series. wasn’t that good.

MerlinTheGoat

Doubt he's coming back. He's very angry with Disney at this point, and they haven't given any indication they regret burning bridges with him either. Disney seem to be working on a semi reboot/sequel now without Depp, and i'm guessing it won't go well for them.

I doubt we're getting any more Beasts movies either. The second one heavily underperformed at the box office and the third one is considered an outright flop. WB said they were waiting to see how the third one would do before greenlighting more, and we can surmise they didn't take to the news well. The third movie even feels like it was made with the assumption that it might be the end of the series. One very minor change to the ending scene and you could easily call the plot wrapped up and finished.

I was disappointed that they recast Grindelwald. I thought FB2 was a fairly poor movie, but Depp's performance was excellent and one of the few legitimately great things about it. It's a shame he wasn't kept on for the third, I will always associate the character with Depp. The only issue I had was his look. His reveal in FB1 actually made me skeptical i'd enjoy him in the role. But he ended up doing a great job. Not a good movie, but he singlehandedly made it worth sitting through. I still wish they had kept his long haired look from the beginning of 2 though.

FB3 was a FAR better movie than 2, but Depp's absence negatively impacted it IMO. I think Mads is a highly capable actor, and he made an excellent Hannibal Lecter. But his performance as Grindelwald just wasn't nearly as good as Depp's. It was merely ok. Not a bad performance, just a lesser one than what I know he's capable of as well as what Depp pulled off.

Vegas Disney Fan

Doubt he's coming back. He's very angry with Disney at this point, and they haven't given any indication they regret burning bridges with him either. Disney seem to be working on a semi reboot/sequel now without Depp, and i'm guessing it won't go well for them.

I doubt we're getting any more Beasts movies either. The second one heavily underperformed at the box office and the third one is considered an outright flop. WB said they were waiting to see how the third one would do before greenlighting more, and we can surmise they didn't take to the news well. The third movie even feels like it was made with the assumption that it might be the end of the series. One very minor change to the ending scene and you could easily call the plot wrapped up and finished.

I was disappointed that they recast Grindelwald. I thought FB2 was a fairly poor movie, but Depp's performance was excellent and one of the few legitimately great things about it. It's a shame he wasn't kept on for the third, I will always associate the character with Depp. The only issue I had was his look. His reveal in FB1 actually made me skeptical i'd enjoy him in the role. But he ended up doing a great job. Not a good movie, but he singlehandedly made it worth sitting through. I still wish they had kept his long haired look from the beginning of 2 though.

FB3 was a FAR better movie than 2, but Depp's absence negatively impacted it IMO. I think Mads is a highly capable actor, and he made an excellent Hannibal Lecter. But his performance as Grindelwald just wasn't nearly as good as Depp's. It was merely ok. Not a bad performance, just a lesser one than what I know he's capable of as well as what Depp pulled off.
I didn’t even realize the 3rd movie was already out, I don’t watch much TV but that’s some bad marketing when a huge Harry Potter fan didn’t even realize a new HP movie came out a month ago.

Ghost93

I STRONGLY disagree. While I think it's wrong that Depp got fired, Mads gave a much, MUCH better performance as Grindelwald.

Jedijax719

This I HIGHLY doubt. I mean HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt.............at least with Depp as Sparrow.

Now, I have always wanted to see D+ have a POTC series. Either a whole new set of characters or prequels to the movies with younger actors as Sparrow and Barbossa.

Oh, spoke too soon (or rather too late)

Magenta Panther

Original Poster
When I thought Depp's issues might be a problem, I suggested here that having a young Jack Sparrow as a protege to the female pirate captain Redd might be a solution. That would keep Sparrow in the ongoing storyline. But I have a feeling now that Depp fans wouldn't go for that. If Depp is willing, perhaps having him pop in now and again during a Redd storyline might be the answer. We'll see what happens.

In any case, "Disney" isn't going to remove the Jack AAs from Pirates, and having Jack portrayed by some other actor might backfire (although I've suggested just that in the past). I do think Depp winning his defamation case might be a game-changer. I didn't follow the trial very closely, but I did think that (given current sensibilities) that he would lose. His win is refreshing and opens up all kinds of avenues for him IMO. I'm hoping for the best...

Anyway, I still want more Pirates in the parks. I want a Pirates restaurant with pirate actors giving the place some fun ambiance, for instance. If Star Wars can have its own restaurants with AAs and all that, then Pirates deserves no less. The Disney Pirates IP is iconic no matter what happens with the movies. "Disney" is a fool not to expand on that. Tortuga Tavern isn't enough and was never open when I visited the park anyway. A Pirates restaurant, plus a flat ride modeled after the Christopher Columbus ride in Europa Park in Germany would be epic. Take a look:

erasure fan1

Doubt he's coming back. He's very angry with Disney at this point, and they haven't given any indication they regret burning bridges with him either.
I will say, it's amazing what a dump truck full of money pulling up to your house will do. Personally I'd never say never. The Pirates franchise needs Depp, Depp doesn't need pirates. I don't think anything will happen until the next pirates move flops. If by some miracle the next movie does great without Depp, then I can see a scenario he never returns.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
If Disney were smart they would open the checkbook to Depp, issue an apology, commit to not knee jerking anymore due to cancel culture pressure, and even commit to Lone Ranger Two if they had to in order to get Depp the opportunity to close the book on Capt Jack Sparrow.

Indy_UK

Disney as always knee jerk and shoot themselves in the foot with things like this. I personally want to see the pirate franchise move on and start fresh but I wouldn’t be surprised if Johnny was willing to go back

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom