Monsters, Inc. Hollywood Studios rumor

Thrill Seeker

My hunch is possibly Avatar. Disney filed a patent for a cable car style ride system. If this is for a suspended type ride, it sounds like a good fit.

WDW1974

Nothing at all would lead be to believe this is anything Mouse-related.

I'd be looking at contractors announcing major hotel/timeshare projects for LBV myself.

~Remember a pre-DVC WDW? I do!~

maxairmike

If it's contract work for a company out of Utah, it is definitely for S&S/Arrow. The Mine Train should be a Vekoma (Lee and I had that discussion here quite a while ago), so it definitely isn't for that. If it would be for the rumored Monsters Inc. coaster, I would be kind of surprised at that design choice (S&S vs. Vekoma), although I guess they could hang a prop door from the middle of each vehicle...

Perhaps SeaWorld or BGT are looking at adding some more rides for the younger crowd and this is part of that package.

thelookingglass

If its from Utah its probably S&S, and the only suspended coaster design they make is the fourth dimension, which is too big and intense for what the rumored Monsters Inc. coaster would be.

Lee

Adventurer
It's been a while...wow, probably two years now...but if memory serves, I was told the MI coaster was going to Gerstlauer (if it ever happens).

Disney hasn't worked with Arrow in many years, and to my knowledge, never with (Arrow's new owner) S&S.

I suspect this is going elsewhere, though I don't know of any suspended coasters in the pipeline for the southern US for the next couple years.:shrug:

Absimilliard

Actually, Disney bought the now gone Maliboomer in 2001 for DCA from S&S. So back then, Disney dealt with them.

Gerstlauer making the MI coaster? That would have problably meant using their great spinning coaster ride system. Amazing and smooth rides, but with terrible capacity! The existing models barely get 500 guests an hour and that's with ride crews doing their best. They haven't worked for Disney as far as I know.

Recently, Disney has dealt with the following companies for their worldwide projects:

Intamin, for the two Toy Story Playland. What I had heard was that Intamin and Zamperla both bid on the contract to supply the 3 rides and Intamin won out. Disney bought a larger junior Parachute Tower (think one of the Jumpin' Jellyfish at DCA with 50% more capacity), a custom Musik Express carnival ride using rollercoaster track and a Halfipe coaster with a custom 20 seats non spinning car. Previously, they had provided Grizzly River Run, Jumpin' Jellyfish and California' Screamin at DCA. They also did the Kali River Rapids.

Vekoma, for the prototype launched coaster going to Hong Kong Disneyland. They were seen last year testing the new weird track part that will be used to start the backward section on the new Grizzly coaster. Previously, they had built Big Thunder Mountain at DLP, both Rock n Roller Coaster, Space Mountain at DLP and HKDL.

Sansei Yusoki seems to be Disney favorite company right now! They're a japanese company that was used at first only by Tokyo Disney and now they are used stateside. They built the track for the 3 Buzz Lightyear rides at DL, HKDL and TDL. They also from what I heard built the impressive cars on the Toy Story Mania! and Monsters Inc TDL. They even did a rollercoaster for Tokyo Disney Sea, Raging Spirits.

Maurer-Sohne is from Germany and can be blamed for the Hollywood Rip! Ride! Rockit! fiasco at Universal Florida. They worked with Disney once and it also turned to disaster. Crush Coaster at Disneyland Paris got terrible capacity and got structural issues. It was down for a week last year for emergency track repairs, had issues with guests escaping the restraints (thus forcing Disney to install lap bar sensors and tall guests over 6'3 can't really ride anymore). According to a structure analysis, Crush Coaster is showing something 15-20 years of abuse after only 3 years in operation (I was told this in 2010 and the ride opened in 2007).

Disney is also to blame in this, for causing some of the structural damage themselves! The ride is an off the shelf model for the coaster part, with a custom gravity driven dark ride section, bigger station and small lift at the beginning. The off the shelf model is normally not braked to slow down the cars in the coaster portion and Disney does some serious braking of the cars. So, it cause the ride structure to shake a lot more than it should. Disney for noise concerns decide to have the dark ride portion gravity driven. So, it means that once the car leave the first lift hill, it runs on gravity outside for a drop and then inside for the dark ride. The issue here is that if a heavy car is sent after one filled with kids, the heavier car will catch up to the lighter one and cause the ride to automatically E-stop and cause a ride breakdown.

hauntdmansion79

Disney hasn't worked with Arrow in many years, and to my knowledge, never with (Arrow's new owner) S&S.

This was credited on the S&S website....

Disney California Adventure
Anaheim, CA, USA
Space Shot (3)

Is that the Maliboomer? But I couldn't find any other Disney properties in their online portfolio.

Lee

Adventurer
hauntdmansion79 said:
Is that the Maliboomer? But I couldn't find any other Disney properties in their online portfolio.

Yep.
A triple Space Shot, right off the shelf with some added cosmetic theming.
I won't miss it...

NYwdwfan

Here's a photo of Maliboomer - to save those (like me) from having to google it:

picture.php

07vanquish

If it happens to be for Disney, it's going to be either for Avatar (the more likely scenario) or DHS, taking into consideration the money already dumped into MK (fantasyland) and epcot (all the revamps in the country and Test Track). Avatar is going to be a major project so I'm guessing most of the funding and any new projects are going to AK. Not a terrible idea when you think of what DHS got for the Pixar area and Star Tours.
A coaster would still be great for Pixar however, whether it's the doors of Monster's Inc, the EAC for Finding Nemo or a Spider-Man-type similator for the Incredibles

lazyboy97o

Vekoma, for the prototype launched coaster going to Hong Kong Disneyland. They were seen last year testing the new weird track part that will be used to start the backward section on the new Grizzly coaster. Previously, they had built Big Thunder Mountain at DLP, both Rock n Roller Coaster, Space Mountain at DLP and HKDL.

Sansei Yusoki seems to be Disney favorite company right now! They're a japanese company that was used at first only by Tokyo Disney and now they are used stateside. They built the track for the 3 Buzz Lightyear rides at DL, HKDL and TDL. They also from what I heard built the impressive cars on the Toy Story Mania! and Monsters Inc TDL. They even did a rollercoaster for Tokyo Disney Sea, Raging Spirits.
Just to add to this great lists, Vekoma also did Expedition Everest - Legend of the Forbidden Journey and I believe Sansei Yusoki did the track and vehicles, and maybe some more fabrication, for The Little Mermaid dark rides.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom