Monorail

Disstevefan1

Riding up front was ended after the tragic crash of a monorail where a cast member was killed.

I remember my only and only ride up front; EPCOT loop and got to see the lights of winter display in EPCOT from the front of the monorail.

Both riding in front of the monorail and the lights of winter are gone forever 😭

Ayla

The monorail trains were designed to have passengers up front at least for as long as I can remember. I don't remember the exact date but a few years ago there was an accident, I think during the fourth of July weekend where a pilot was killed when another train backed into it during a track change procedure. It was at that point the the ride in the front cab was ended.
2013, I believe.

celluloid

The reason I brought it up and was shocked is it was once said no guests would be in those areas again until new trains happened...so that has yet to happen and this is a huge deal.for.this monorail fan who grew up with a couple of rides up front.

Goofyernmost

The reason I brought it up and was shocked is it was once said no guests would be in those areas again until new trains happened...so that has yet to happen and this is a huge deal.for.this monorail fan who grew up with a couple of rides up front.
We still don't have and answer to when it started. It's nice that they let people just get inside it, but that is completely different then riding up there. I can't even picture how it would be sitting there in one place long enough for people to get in and out unless it was broken down.

celluloid

We still don't have and answer to when it started. It's nice that they let people just get inside it, but that is completely different then riding up there. I can't even picture how it would be sitting there in one place long enough for people to get in and out unless it was broken down.
.yes, it was during downtime. Just shocked that it is back to being allowed, as I never heard tell of that sort of guest service moment before.

Goofyernmost

.yes, it was during downtime. Just shocked that it is back to being allowed, as I never heard tell of that sort of guest service moment before.
I'm confused, why were you someplace that had access to a monorail train at "downtime"? Considering the guy that was killed in the cab back then was not moving. He was sitting waiting to move. I can't imagine what might happen to a monorail CM for letting a family or even a single person in the cab that wasn't a CM. Just curious about where this happened and when?

celluloid

I'm confused, why were you someplace that had access to a monorail train at "downtime"? Considering the guy that was killed in the cab back then was not moving. He was sitting waiting to move. I can't imagine what might happen to a monorail CM for letting a family or even a single person in the cab that wasn't a CM. Just curious about where this happened and when?
You are starting to get why I brought it up./ And was shocked.

If you read my posts again you will see where and when(last week, TTC)

Goofyernmost

You are starting to get why I brought it up./ And was shocked.

If you read my posts again you will see where and when(last week, TTC)
Thanks, sorry I hadn't noticed the TTC in post #8. Was that early in the morning before they started to run. I'm sure they must overnight some of them at TTC so they are there in the morning.

celluloid

Thanks, sorry I hadn't noticed the TTC in post #8. Was that early in the morning before they started to run. I'm sure they must overnight some of them at TTC so they are there in the morning.

Later at night. MK closing and waiting for monorail transfer. Before fireworks. Monorail Blue.

jloucks

I still recall riding up front clearly and fondly. This was in summer of 1982.
MonoRail83.jpg

MR83b.jpg

Last edited:

muddyrivers

During the course of the day monorails stop in the station and need to be "rebooted." This is something fairly recently I've noticed in my visits and of course wasn't a common occurrence in the past (would be curious if any current or recently former monorail pilots could explain). I think the circumstances of the monorail accident were very different than the likely circumstances when the family got to sit in the cab.

In the accident a train was being switched onto another track and as part of that process had to proceed in reverse and through the TTC. Point being is other monorails were in motion on the track. When these monorails reboot I *think* all other monorails stop and stay in their station otherwise they would proceed along the track and eventually have to enter a hold at a stopping point due to the MAPO block system (is that still used anymore?) showing a monorail being too close to them ahead.

So if a monorail is having "downtime" and in the station, there isn't going to be any sort of movement on the track or potential for a situation that could endanger the cast member and/or the family in the cab.

I'm sure I got some details wrong so feel free to correct me 👍

MickeyCB

We got to ride up front I think maybe 18 years ago or so. When you came up to the top of the ramps you could ask the CM politely (not pesky), at the station if you could ride in the front and if no one was there they walked you up to the front car.
It was awesome and they gave the kids one of the cards.
The seats were sideways and you could see everything.
A wonderful memory!

Raxel7851

Some of our fondest memories were co-piloting the monorail. We did it multiple times on multiple trips. It was very popular with guests and you had to be lucky that your request to ride up front was received before another family got in. Got our co-pilots license which is framed in my Disney room.
@JIMINYCR is that something you had to ask for or did they give you the license on the end of your trip? That’s so cool! I remember riding up front several times but can’t remember the license thing. Maybe I did get one. On a side note, I do remember getting an Honorary Hoop-Dee-Do member certificate when they took me up on stage. I need to look for that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom