Monorail to Animal Kingdom?

addacollier

Original Poster
Do you think that WDW monorail would ever extend to the Animal Kingdom? If so, what would the cost of installation be?

bUU

Still unlikely (at least in the foreseeable future) but much more likely would be an extension of the gondola system. No provisions were made to connect a new line to the existing lines so it would stand alone, perhaps connecting Animal Kingdom Park, the All-Star Resorts, WWoS and Coronado Springs, by way of a hub at Blizzard Beach.

Still, unlikely but the most likely "new" transportation option we might eventually see. It would have been more likely if they left any indications that they left room to put in a second gondola station either at the Studios or at the International Gateway.

nickys

Premium Member
Or, as hinted at by our insiders, they may add a different type of “link”from AKL to AK and possibly onto Disney Springs.

Somewhere there is a discussion about it all, possibly somewhere in nearly 1000 pages of the Gondolas thread.

I’d settle for a walking path myself but that is unlikely too.

PorterRedkey

yeah that would be cool. they could give it a really cool animal kingdom vibe. like an old train track in africa vibe.
I have a feeling it will be lightly themed (if it happens). It will serve other parks, hotels and Disney Springs as well as AK most likely, so a more generic theme is probably more appropriate.

I do love your idea though! 🙂

ppete1975

How far is it, as the crow flies from the closest other park? It takes forever via bus but of course that's going on roads.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
How far is it, as the crow flies from the closest other park? It takes forever via bus but of course that's going on roads.
If we just go in a straight line from entrance to entrance, AK is a little over 4 miles from MK, but you would rarely run a mass transportation system be it monorails, gondolas or whatever in a straight line from point A to B in a situation like what you have at WDW. Generally you will follow existing infrastructure to a point.

The ironic thing is while AK gets a reputation for being in the middle of nowhere, MK is really the one off by itself. Epcot and DHS, practically back into each other and AK is just a mile and a half to the west. The gate of MK is more than 3 miles north of it's next nearest park, Epcot.

Heppenheimer

I forget if it was an online article or a Youtube video, but the current estimated cost of extending an existing monorail line runs in the hundreds of millions per mile. So, probably not going to happen, ever.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
I think it’s safe to say there will never be a monorail extension, new track or any expansion of the monorail system.

SneakyHandsomeAssassinbug-size_restricted.gif

JIMINYCR

Its been discussed many many times extending the monorail system to link with various points and the reason for not doing it is always the exorbitant costs involved. Its still far cheaper more efficient to continue running bus service from one place to the next. The cost just keeps getting higher as the years continue and Disney doesnt start. They have no real benefit to spend the money just to give guests another monorail ride.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
It's actually the opposite. Animal Kingdom is pretty far away as the crow flies but it's very direct. Coming from the Magic Kingdom, it's straight down World Drive and one right turn onto Osceola Parkway.

When you look at the travel times from Animal Kingdom Lodge to the theme parks, it's basically the same as any other resort, despite being much further away.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
The ironic thing is while AK gets a reputation for being in the middle of nowhere, MK is really the one off by itself. Epcot and DHS, practically back into each other and AK is just a mile and a half to the west. The gate of MK is more than 3 miles north of it's next nearest park, Epcot.
Not only that, but MK is much more logistically isolated as well. To actually get there, you have to navigate around a lagoon, an enormous parking lot, the entire MK resort area, and (until very recently) a racetrack.

Monorail resorts, sold as the most convenient, are actually the least convenient for anyone who spends <50% of their park time at the Magic Kingdom.

Disney Lover Addie

I highly doubt it. There is a YouTube video that explains why: (video by RobPlays, I recommend his Disney videos!) It’s because of the high expenses it would bring and there’s a lot of transportation at WDW anyways.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom