Monorail Pub crawl / Bar hop, Dec 2019

Jimdalva

Original Poster
We just returned from our Monorail Pub crawl. We live local so we drove to the Poly Resort, arriving at 1pm ,Tues , Dec 10th. Security at the gate asked why we were there and we said for lunch (we had no reservations), he was friendly and asked for my ID, and let us in.

I was surprised that we parked for free. We were 2 hrs early for our first stop at Trader Sams which opened at 3, so we hopped on the monorail for the grand tour.
We traveled to the TTC and changed over to the EPCOT monorail. We traveled to EPCOT and back to the TTC where we then walked over to the ferry and sailed to the Magic Kingdom. Both parks have A LOT of construction going on with LOTS of construction walls. Next we took a small boat from MK to the Grand Floridan( but didn't get off) and on to the Polynesian Resort.

The monorail and boat rides took 1hr and 45 min, so we timed it perfect and arrived at Trader Sams at 2:45 for a 3pm opening. To our surprise 20 or more people were already waiting in line. While we waited a second line formed, it turns out that you can knock on the door around 2:30 and put your name on a list. When they finally opened late at 3:15, those people were called by name and went in first. Our line went in next and everyone was accommodated.

Trader Sams was fun, but not as much as I had hoped after reading so much about it. We had on drink each and an appetizer , and then moved on. We toured a little around the resort then on to the Grand Floridan, one stop on the monorail. Every trip back to the monorail entailed a security bag check. Every one went quick.

The GF was very upscale, much different than Trader Sams. Here Christmas decorations really stood out against the all white background of the GF. We had our drink and toured the resort. This was my wife favorite resort. Then we went back thru security , on to the monorail and on to the Contemporary Resort.

At the Contemporary we went up to the California Grill for dinner. When we arrived it was still light out and the view of the MK was very good. As we ate dinner the sun set and the darkness showed off all the lights of the Magic Kingdom. The restaurant has an outdoor Observation Deck, but it is closed until the fireworks (10pm that night) but there is another one around by the restrooms that was open, so we went out and enjoyed the lights of the MK.

This is the last stop on the monorail pub crawl, but we took the boat over to the Wilderness Lodge for one more. This resort was my favorite. It is just like the Grand Floridan, only completely different. We toured the resort and chose the outdoor bar because the one inside was dead. Then back on the boat to the Contemporary, upstairs thru security and onto the monorail and back to the Poly and our car.

We parked at 1pm and returned to our car at 9pm. At each resort we had good conversation with other guests and the servers. When I added up the recites from the 4 resorts, we had spent $192. Thank goodness parking was free.

Im in my 60s and have enjoyed WDW all my life with literally 100 clicks of their turnstiles (I know, turnstiles are gone)but I had never visited any of these 4 resorts, (and riding the monorail thru the Contemporary doesn't count)and we have a very enjoyable day.

macefamily

Sounds like you had a great day. My wife, daughter, and myself just started doing the visits to the lounges at different resorts. My daughter just turned 23 so it's a nice respite from the park crowds. We've been to Trader Sam's several times. Also visited the Wave, Enchanted Rose, and the outdoor bar at Wilderness Lodge. We had dinner at California Grille twice and it is one of my favorites. We're trying to figure out when we will take our next trip. Hopefully soon because it was 15 degrees this morning in PA !

Jon81uk

$192 sounds quite reasonable to me for four drinks, appetisers and entrees for four people! I'd expect just the California Grill bill to get to that sort of price for four people.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I'll be "that guy"...

You could have done exactly the same thing parking in the TTC lot. //long judgmental diatribe about resort guests not being able to find parking here//

Jimdalva

Original Poster
Wilderness Lodge was the 4th. Polynesian , Grand Floridian and Contemporary were 1, 2 and 3.

As for 'that guy' , parking was allowed at Poly on a slow day. Other days they direct you to the TTC, or valet at Poly which costs more.

We found $192 to be reasonable for two (not 4) people having a total of 8 drinks 1 app, and 2 dinners at California Grill. Next time, the Skyliner tour.

Jon81uk

Wilderness Lodge was the 4th. Polynesian , Grand Floridian and Contemporary were 1, 2 and 3.

As for 'that guy' , parking was allowed at Poly on a slow day. Other days they direct you to the TTC, or valet at Poly which costs more.

We found $192 to be reasonable for two (not 4) people having a total of 8 drinks 1 app, and 2 dinners at California Grill. Next time, the Skyliner tour.

Sorry I think I mis-read the four resorts as four people! so yes that price is reasonable but a little higher than it may cost outside of the WDW bubble.

George Myers

Sorry I think I mis-read the four resorts as four people! so yes that price is reasonable but a little higher than it may cost outside of the WDW bubble.
We just returned from our Monorail Pub crawl. We live local so we drove to the Poly Resort, arriving at 1pm ,Tues , Dec 10th. Security at the gate asked why we were there and we said for lunch (we had no reservations), he was friendly and asked for my ID, and let us in.

I was surprised that we parked for free. We were 2 hrs early for our first stop at Trader Sams which opened at 3, so we hopped on the monorail for the grand tour.
We traveled to the TTC and changed over to the EPCOT monorail. We traveled to EPCOT and back to the TTC where we then walked over to the ferry and sailed to the Magic Kingdom. Both parks have A LOT of construction going on with LOTS of construction walls. Next we took a small boat from MK to the Grand Floridan( but didn't get off) and on to the Polynesian Resort.

The monorail and boat rides took 1hr and 45 min, so we timed it perfect and arrived at Trader Sams at 2:45 for a 3pm opening. To our surprise 20 or more people were already waiting in line. While we waited a second line formed, it turns out that you can knock on the door around 2:30 and put your name on a list. When they finally opened late at 3:15, those people were called by name and went in first. Our line went in next and everyone was accommodated.

Trader Sams was fun, but not as much as I had hoped after reading so much about it. We had on drink each and an appetizer , and then moved on. We toured a little around the resort then on to the Grand Floridan, one stop on the monorail. Every trip back to the monorail entailed a security bag check. Every one went quick.

The GF was very upscale, much different than Trader Sams. Here Christmas decorations really stood out against the all white background of the GF. We had our drink and toured the resort. This was my wife favorite resort. Then we went back thru security , on to the monorail and on to the Contemporary Resort.

At the Contemporary we went up to the California Grill for dinner. When we arrived it was still light out and the view of the MK was very good. As we ate dinner the sun set and the darkness showed off all the lights of the Magic Kingdom. The restaurant has an outdoor Observation Deck, but it is closed until the fireworks (10pm that night) but there is another one around by the restrooms that was open, so we went out and enjoyed the lights of the MK.

This is the last stop on the monorail pub crawl, but we took the boat over to the Wilderness Lodge for one more. This resort was my favorite. It is just like the Grand Floridan, only completely different. We toured the resort and chose the outdoor bar because the one inside was dead. Then back on the boat to the Contemporary, upstairs thru security and onto the monorail and back to the Poly and our car.

We parked at 1pm and returned to our car at 9pm. At each resort we had good conversation with other guests and the servers. When I added up the recites from the 4 resorts, we had spent $192. Thank goodness parking was free.

Im in my 60s and have enjoyed WDW all my life with literally 100 clicks of their turnstiles (I know, turnstiles are gone)but I had never visited any of these 4 resorts, (and riding the monorail thru the Contemporary doesn't count)and we have a very enjoyable day.
Several years ago (before security checks) 5 of us did a pool bar tour which included the same 4 resorts. Still had fond memories of that day.

Epcot-Rules

Glad you enjoyed it. Wife and I spend that much just eating dinner at the CG.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom