Monorail maintenance building

WDW Monorail

Original Poster
By looking at satelite photos, I have noticed that the monorail maintenance building contains only 11 slot entrances. If WDW has 14 monorails and operates 12, where do they keep the others?

Does anyone know?

Buried20KLeague

WOW. I've GOT to say... This pretty much makes us officially "Disney Geeks". :lol: For a while I thought maybe we were just fans. But no. This steps us up into the "obsession" category.

Funny thing is, I'm interested in the answer. :lookaroun

Invero will know. Hopefully he'll see this thread.

hardcard

Since there were originally only 10 monorails planned, when the Coral and Lime monorails were added in 1993, they did not have enough room in the storage and maintenance facilities behind the park.

Because of this, two monorails must sit outside during the night. A monorail never stays outside the maintenance bay for more than 2 nights in a row.

WDW Monorail

Original Poster
Good answer.
That seems to be along the lines of what I was thinking.

But wouldn't they be worried about damage during a hurricane?

As far as I know...they park them in the Contemporary (They can fit four parked side by side, nose to nose i think) and just close the hurricane doors over the track.

WDW Monorail

Original Poster
That is what I was also thinking, but I had completely forgotten that there are storm doors that they close in the event of a hurricane.:brick: .

LilRoo714

That is what I was also thinking, but I had completely forgotten that there are storm doors that they close in the event of a hurricane.:brick: .

Is there a requirement for the category of hurricane that comes through for them to close the doors? If it's only a category 1 and won't shut down the parks, will they stop running the monorail? (I've never been there in a hurricane! :veryconfu )

WDW Monorail

Original Poster
I was there during Dennis last year and they didn't close any parks except for the water parks.

The monorails were still running.

LilRoo714

Right, I know they've only closed the park completely for one hurricane. I just wondered if smaller hurricanes were enough to stop running the monorail.

Slowjack

You know, I'd noticed the same thing from the photos but hadn't thought to ask here. That's what I love about these forums...no question is too Disney-geek to be asked (and answered!).

metscool

I think know what harricane that it was. Did it start with J and instead of hitting FLorida it came up to the Northeast and it was a bad strom.

GrowingUpDisney

Last year when Wilma hit Florida (late October 2005), all four parks closed until 1:00pm at which time they opened ONLY Epcot & MK to resort guest (not the general public). They did not open MGm or AK. We went to EPCOT that day and did not notice whether the monorail was running.

By the way - I though this was a little ridiculous:
Even though the storm was incredibly bad early that morning, the Cast Members at Epcot still had to report to work at 6:00am. They were still cleaning up debris when we arrived right at 1:00 through the international gateway.

I am unsure of any other days that parks had been closed due to a hurricane.

Niki

LilRoo714

Last year when I was there I heard that Hurricane Charley I believe it was, that came through 2 years ago was the only hurricane to completely shut down the parks for the day - no opening to resort guests - all parks closed all day.

WDW Monorail

Original Poster
What about Andrew(1992), that hit Miami mainly but WDW is about 250 miles north and it had to have some major impact on the parks.

If they ever do expand the monorail system, they would have to build a new/expand the current maintenance building (due to the increased number of monorails) and that would solve the problem of storage during a hurricane.

cloudboy

OK, I can understand that during a hurricane you do not want the monorail vehicles sitting up on an elevated section of track, but... why do they have to sit inside a garge every night? And why can no monorail be out for more than two nights in a row? Are they still teenagers?

What do they do with busses and trains at night and during hurricanes?

WDW Monorail

Original Poster
OK, I can understand that during a hurricane you do not want the monorail vehicles sitting up on an elevated section of track, but... why do they have to sit inside a garge every night? And why can no monorail be out for more than two nights in a row? Are they still teenagers?

They have there own depots aswell.

Madison

I imagine they keep them outside on a rotating basis to reduce wear as much as possible, minimize the opportunity for vandalism, and to perform regular maintenance on whichever trains are in the barn.

The buses have a depot but it's likely not large enough to house the whole fleet as there's really no use for that. The Walt Disney World railroad consists share the maintenance barn with the monorails.

The launches and ships that cross the lagoon from the TTC have a dock in Bay Lake up near Tomorrowland. Does anyone know if Epcot's Friendships have a similar dock or do they just moor at a resort? I can't recall ever seeing a dock.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom