Monorail beam cleaning?

cwoms197

Original Poster
Was at magic kingdom today and at TTC today and saw that a portion of the monorail beam was a lot cleaner than the rest (picture included) went from the station to where the picture was taken. Any word on if they are cleaning these up? Looks really nice.

Attachments

• 872AA421-596C-400B-8345-39B71AC7558C.jpeg
    872AA421-596C-400B-8345-39B71AC7558C.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 857

Captain Barbossa

Was at magic kingdom today and at TTC today and saw that a portion of the monorail beam was a lot cleaner than the rest (picture included) went from the station to where the picture was taken. Any word on if they are cleaning these up? Looks really nice.
Not sure that they would clean just one beam and leave the rest.

castlecake2.0

I believe the beams are on a somewhat standard cleaning schedule. Not sure how often it is though, but that’s probably why you saw the difference.

Disone

This is a picture of the Epcot beam as it leaves the Magic Kingdom parking lot and enters the ticket and Transportation Center Station. Unfortunately this is also not new. It has been like that for a while.... Couple of years:( Nothing (new) to see here.

Disone

All exaggerations. They do the best they can when it carries 10s of thousands of people a day.
While I agree that they clearly are exaggerating, I also think they have a point. In this case I do not think Disney is doing their best even considering the tens of thousands of people that ride it per day. This is based on my own past experiences with the monorails.

There was a time where I didn't ever wonder if the air conditioning is going to work on the monorail car I'm riding in. I do worry about that now especially in the summer.

The Interiors are just not being cleaned enough. Candy wrappers, wet seats and dried up soda spills are just not acceptable and this too is a concern now that did not use to be.

Finally, in that picture earlier in this thread, If part of the Epcot beam can look that good why can't all of the beams look that good?

I try not to be an overly harsh critic, or someone that looks at everything through rose-colored glasses, and in both cases I've had failures to be in the middle.
But in this case the monorail's not as good of an experience as they used to be.

I don't think this is their best because I believe they used to do better.

JoeCamel

All exaggerations. They do the best they can when it carries 10s of thousands of people a day.
They "do the best they can" when TDO cuts the maintenance budget. In the past (90's) they found a way to keep the interiors (and exteriors) in much better condition than they are today. The things you see today are the result of years of neglect doing the minimum possible to get by. They are changing, more is being done with the exteriors and the AC units are being replaced/repaired with new finishes inside but they should never have been allowed to sink to the level they operated in for the first part of this century.

The reason they got to that level was guests thought "they do the best they can with the load they carry" rather than mentioning it to the powers that be. If you don't squeek you don't get greased but when you wear all the way through and fall off then you get some attention. Pickup shoe falling off anyone??

Last edited:

Cameron1529

The monorail system at Walt Disney World has become somewhat of an embarrassment. From the outdated trains, the disgusting interiors (the mildew smell), dirty beam, etc. it is not Disney show quality.

They are definitely in need of an overhaul. However Disney is currently putting them through small scale refurbishments, which will undoubtedly help.

TrojanUSC

No offense but you clearly didn't visit Walt Disney World in the 90s or early '00s enough to know what the monorail should look like and it was carrying just as many people then as it is today. Yes it carries thousands of people a day but there is no reason for it to have fallen into this state of disrepair. It's embarrassing, frankly. Why they haven't pulled each train off, one by one, and completely redid the interiors, for example, is beyond me.

EricsBiscuit

No offense but you clearly didn't visit Walt Disney World in the 90s or early '00s enough to know what the monorail should look like and it was carrying just as many people then as it is today. Yes it carries thousands of people a day but there is no reason for it to have fallen into this state of disrepair. It's embarrassing, frankly. Why they haven't pulled each train off, one by one, and completely redid the interiors, for example, is beyond me.
I just don't remember I guess, I take the ferry. But you're right I guess they should always maintain their stuff better. Next time I go I'll pay more attention.

googilycub

You would think this could be done easily on overnights, just have a work train pull a trailer that has a huge water tank and high pressure sprayers that spray a bleach solution on the sides and top of the beam.

I don't think you can have a bleach solution run into the drainage system. It seems that it would have to be contained somehow, making far less easy that your solution.

Goofyernmost

I don't think you can have a bleach solution run into the drainage system. It seems that it would have to be contained somehow, making far less easy that your solution.
It wouldn't do a world of good for the foliage in the area either. I'm sure there is some solution that would work and not destroy vegetation, but, it is a huge unnecessary expense, however, it wouldn't be out of line to expect them cleaned every 50 years or so.

Unplugged

@Master Yoda do you happen to know if they are using an automated system for this? It wouldn't be difficult or that expensive to create an automated cleaning vehicle for the monorail that could run at night. If TDO were to consider the cost of labor verse the cost of an automated solution, certainly this would pay for itself in only a few years, if that long. That's assuming it cleans each beam only once per year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom