Monorail beam cleaning and painting

Phil12

You see, it is definitely not as simple as we wish it were.:banghead:
Yes indeed it is that simple. These people don't really even know what was done to the monorail beams, but whatever was done has made them happy. It has given them the belief that preventative maintenance is improving at WDW. Clean monorail beams are important!

Creathir

Not to get into a business analysis, or debate here, but no, money is tight with Disney....wait, don't write your reply back yet, read my entire comment :D

The amount of money that they have to show investors is real money, however it is money that is effectively "spent" and must be accounted for in that way. Certainly there is some wiggle room in the budget for some things, but just because they cleared $x billions in profit last quarter/year, doesn't mean that they can go and spent that money all up. In the next period they have to show various things to their investors, and if they do have a large project, then certainly they can say that profit is down due to a billion being spent on star wars land, and they will likely get away with it, but they can't say "We are down 10% in profit because we are doing a bunch of maintenance projects" I would love it if they could, but they simply can't, they would get destroyed. So yes, they could spend a little extra money, most likely it would get taken from another budget line, because another wall street metric that gets watched closely is total operating expenses. They also could and might have done this a few times, sneak up the budget for certain areas during a time when a new area opens, then dismissed the increased operating expenses as being related to the new area.... thus creating a new normal operating expense level.

You see, it is definitely not as simple as we wish it were.:banghead:

Wall Street likes consistency and predictability. To solve this, you budget for more ongoing repairs ahead of time. Wall Street understands age is a factor. The problem here is priority. The current management must not feel the monorail is something they need to dump more money into. If they did, they would, and it would happen.

Rasvar

If they continue that, it is back to the original look of the beams back in 1971. They maintained the coating well into the 80's before they started to let it go. I welcome this return.

montyz81

SCAN0196.JPG

This picture was taken in March of 1983. This is not even a year old and they already looked dirty.

Rasvar

View attachment 115127
This picture was taken in March of 1983. This is not even a year old and they already looked dirty.
The beam was a few years old at the time. I can't remember when they started running the preview. I thought it started in 1981 but may not have been until 1982. They never really coated the Epcot beams after the initial install. They did the MK beams a few more times in the 1980's until they stopped. It may have been around the time they started prepping for the new Mark VI's that it really stopped.

montyz81

The beam was a few years old at the time. I can't remember when they started running the preview. I thought it started in 1981 but may not have been until 1982. They never really coated the Epcot beams after the initial install. They did the MK beams a few more times in the 1980's until they stopped. It may have been around the time they started prepping for the new Mark VI's that it really stopped.
It was probably in 1982 as I was there in March of 1981 also and there were extensive gaps in the Epcot beam construction at the time. At that time, it looked like they still had months of work still left to do on the beam construction. So, if it was a year, that means the beam was 1.5 years old by the time my picture was taken. I guess that is enough time for it to get as dirty as it is in that picture.

WDWtraveler

Original Poster
Photo update as of Thursday, August 8, 2019. It's been almost four years since my original post (see page 1, first post) of this monorail beam "test" coating. This is the same beam located in the tram lot of the Transportation and Ticket Center. Seems like the "test" of the new coating has held up pretty well. New coating applied in late 2015 on the right.

IMG_1669.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom