Trip Report Mom & Kids Take on the World COMPLETED

Well, like a few others lately I've been a long-time lurker on these boards - I actually read for years without an account, spending most of my time in these trip reports. Earlier this year I finally became official & I've commented on a few threads, but mostly still just read (I need to get better about that). But, inspired by @heatherhy01 and @akneeconnors I thought I'd a give my own report a go. And we're down to just 10 days until we're in the World!

So, here we go:

When: June 16 - 21, 2019
Where: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Bunk Bed room with a savanna view (yay! everyone gets their own bed!)
Who: Me, Jen, and my kids - Sam (14) and Jacob (12) my husband Jeremy decided to sit this trip out - he's not quite as Disney-obsessed as the rest of us & summer is a busy time at work for him. Here's us during our quick trip in January:

We're trying to keep with the mindset we had on our last trip of not stressing to do everything because we've been enough times to have experienced most everything multiple times. And we're actually taking a break this time around and just doing a pool day! VERY excited about that!

Current Plans:
Sunday, June 16

• Flight leaves CLE at 8:10 am and arrives at MCO at 12:15pm after a quick stop in Atlanta. Right now the plan is to grab a bite to eat at the airport before heading to the Magical Express, but excitement day of may change that.
  • Right now, the afternoon is open. We may spend some time at the pool or may go for a round of mini golf (since we have vouchers for a free round - yay!) or we may explore MK area resorts. We'll see what we feel like when we arrive.
  • Dinner @ Artist Point at 6:10. Snow White is my daughter's favorite character & she loves a good villian interaction, so this should be fun. My son is excited for Dopey.
Monday, June 17
  • Rope drop EMH at Animal Kingdom & try to get on FOP before the wait gets too long (this was the only highly desired FP we couldn't get
  • FP Na'vi River Journey, Safari & Festival of the Lion King
  • Dinner @ Yak & Yeti
Tuesday, June 18
  • Arrive to MK early, but not necessarily rope drop. My goal this day is to spend some time enjoying the entertainment on Main Street.
  • FP for Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan & Seven Dwarfs
  • Dinner @ The Plaza Restaurant
Wednesday, June 19
  • POOL DAY! We're going to relax/play at the pool, have lunch at the pool bar and generally just chill. Might fit mini golf in here if we don't go on arrival day.
  • Late afternoon we'll head to Disney Springs.
  • Dinner @ Planet Hollywood...not my top choice, but Sam really wants to have one of their milkshakes & Jacob is a bit of a picky eater, sooooo....
Thursday, June 20
  • Hollywood Studios! We finally get to ride Slinky Dog!
  • FP for Star Tours, Beauty & the Beast & Slinky Dog - will also try to ride Alien Swirling Saucers
  • Dinner @ Mama Melrose with the Fantasmic package (Fantasmic is Jacob's request)
Friday, June 21
  • Check luggage, then spend the morning at the pool.
  • Tragical Express pickup around 1pm :(
So that's what we have! The rest of this week will be consumed with dance recital activities, then just a few days to pack & get ready to leave. I might pop in a few times during the trip, but definitely not ready to attempt a full live report...now just to see if I can do as good of a job remembering things as all of the rest of you!

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
Well, like a few others lately I've been a long-time lurker on these boards - I actually read for years without an account, spending most of my time in these trip reports. Earlier this year I finally became official & I've commented on a few threads, but mostly still just read (I need to get better about that). But, inspired by @heatherhy01 and @akneeconnors I thought I'd a give my own report a go. And we're down to just 10 days until we're in the World!

So, here we go:

Where: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Bunk Bed room with a savanna view (yay! everyone gets their own bed!)
Who: Me, Jen, and my kids - Sam (14) and Jacob (12) my husband Jeremy decided to sit this trip out - he's not quite as Disney-obsessed as the rest of us & summer is a busy time at work for him. Here's us during our quick trip in January:

View attachment 379607

We're trying to keep with the mindset we had on our last trip of not stressing to do everything because we've been enough times to have experienced most everything multiple times. And we're actually taking a break this time around and just doing a pool day! VERY excited about that!

Current Plans:
Sunday, June 16

• Flight leaves CLE at 8:10 am and arrives at MCO at 12:15pm after a quick stop in Atlanta. Right now the plan is to grab a bite to eat at the airport before heading to the Magical Express, but excitement day of may change that.
  • Right now, the afternoon is open. We may spend some time at the pool or may go for a round of mini golf (since we have vouchers for a free round - yay!) or we may explore MK area resorts. We'll see what we feel like when we arrive.
  • Dinner @ Artist Point at 6:10. Snow White is my daughter's favorite character & she loves a good villian interaction, so this should be fun. My son is excited for Dopey.
Monday, June 17
  • Rope drop EMH at Animal Kingdom & try to get on FOP before the wait gets too long (this was the only highly desired FP we couldn't get
  • Dinner @ Yak & Yeti
Tuesday, June 18
  • Arrive to MK early, but not necessarily rope drop. My goal this day is to spend some time enjoying the entertainment on Main Street.
Wednesday, June 19
  • POOL DAY! We're going to relax/play at the pool, have lunch at the pool bar and generally just chill. Might fit mini golf in here if we don't go on arrival day.
  • Dinner @ Planet Hollywood...not my top choice, but Sam really wants to have one of their milkshakes & Jacob is a bit of a picky eater, sooooo....
Thursday, June 20
  • FP for Star Tours, Beauty & the Beast & Slinky Dog - will also try to ride Alien Swirling Saucers
  • Dinner @ Mama Melrose with the Fantasmic package (Fantasmic is Jacob's request)
Friday, June 21
So that's what we have! The rest of this week will be consumed with dance recital activities, then just a few days to pack & get ready to leave. I might pop in a few times during the trip, but definitely not ready to attempt a full live report...now just to see if I can do as good of a job remembering things as all of the rest of you!
Looks good! I am a little jealous, I must say.

jlag1006

Original Poster
Welcome, welcome!! I was a long time lurker for quite awhile myself—but I have @Tuvalu & @TrolleyFollower91 to thank for bringing me out of my shell!!
Looking forward to hearing more!! BTW—we arrive on the 18th & will be at MK by mid afternoon. I’ll keep a lookout for you!!
Oh yay! I will look for you too! Yours are definitely some of the reports I’ve followed over the years 😄

tabby1222

We are there from the 19-24, but our paths won’t cross. Boo!

We have learned that slow and steady with no rushing and stress is the way to go! It’s going to be soooo hot!!! I’m so nervous. It’s just as hot as outlet July trip last year, in June!

jlag1006

Original Poster
We are there from the 19-24, but our paths won’t cross. Boo!

We have learned that slow and steady with no rushing and stress is the way to go! It’s going to be soooo hot!!! I’m so nervous. It’s just as hot as outlet July trip last year, in June!
Bummer that our paths won't cross! I hope you have a great time! And I'm with you on the HOT, yikes! Unfortunately, with the kids' schedules we can pretty much go at Christmas/New Year's or during June - this year we're doing both, but I think the Christmastime crowds are just too much for me!

tabby1222

Bummer that our paths won't cross! I hope you have a great time! And I'm with you on the HOT, yikes! Unfortunately, with the kids' schedules we can pretty much go at Christmas/New Year's or during June - this year we're doing both, but I think the Christmastime crowds are just too much for me!
We did Christmas. And last July. With me being a teacher, those are the available times. :(. Christmas was not terrible, but we knew what to expect. We have made the mistake years ago of going on New Years.... Nothing can be worse!

I am so looking forward to being there for more than a night or two. Mostly we have drove in each day, or spent a night/two. This is our first trip of any length!!

jlag1006

Original Poster
We are officially in final planning mode! I had tried to set things up to give us time for this, but we ended up having DD’s birthday party last night, and we have a graduation party today so we’ll be rushing to finish our packing later today!

My SIL came to the party last night to do henna for the girls and the kids & I got Disney themed henna tattoos!

Mine:

Sam’s:

Jacob’s:

OK, here we go for one last crazy day of prepping!

jlag1006

Original Poster
I’ve decided my best bet is to do a daily recap right away so memories are fresh, so here we go!

Day 1
Got up at 4:15 to do final packing & get out the door about 5:15. Hour drive to airport and there in plenty of time to get some Starbucks & bagel sandwiches. Everything went smoothly with just a few minor annoyances ( I could have sworn there was a toddler sitting behind me with a much as my seat was kicked on the first leg....turned about to be a girl about 13) and we made it to MCO a few minutes early!

We had a short wait and were nearly the last to board our Magical Express...which meant we got the back row & all sat together. After arriving at AKL the kids made a beeline to pick up their birthday buttons, then headed to Mara for a quick lunch. While there, we got our room ready text so we heard straight there. We were very excited to look out the balcony to see several giraffes & zebras ( a bit tough to see in this photo)

Shortly after arriving in the room, it began to storm which apparently made us all sleepy as we all took a AP I the room while it was raining. We had a slight glitch with luggage delivery and only received 2 of our 3 bags. Of course the missing one was DDs and she was freaking out, so after I woke from my nap,I walked to the lobby & found that it had been separated and was waiting to be delivered.

With all the bags safely here, we could get ready for dinner!

jlag1006

Original Poster
Day 1, cont. Dinner at Artist’s Point
With the delay on luggage, we were a bit behind schedule for getting to Wilderness Losge, but I had planned to treat the kids to a ride in the Minnie Van, so thought we were OK. But when I opened the Lyft app I just couldn’t bring myself to pay $40 for a ride there, so we went with a regular old Lyft instead and we arrived 5 minutes before our reservation.

My daughter loves Snow White and interactions with villains, so this was right up he alley! Jacob is not as into character meets, but he enjoys the meals...he just really doesn’t want to wait in lines for it.

Overall we really enjoyed it. The character interactions were fantastic as were the desserts & specialty drinks. Meals were a bit hit or miss. DD has prime rib & loved hers, but DS felt his was undercooked. I had the beef stew and was happy with it, but might try something different if we went back. Appetizers were a miss for us. None of us are especially adventurous eaters and have a low spice tolerance, so they just weren’t up our alley,

After dinner, we caught a boat to MK and then a bus back to AKL. Settling in now for a good nights sleep before AK tomorrow!

Last edited:

Janir

So, here we go:

View attachment 379607

Current Plans:
Sunday, June 16

Monday, June 17
  • Dinner @ Yak & Yeti
Tuesday, June 18
Wednesday, June 19
Thursday, June 20
Friday, June 21
Missed this as it was originally posted but in searching for AKL Savannah view TR's this popped up and I had to follow along since in 2 months our AKL Savannah view stay will be happening. Looking for what to expect and whet my appetite.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom