Moleskins or Blister Bandaids?

mmnw

Original Poster
Even with good shoes, I tend to get blisters in the warmer months in Disney. Is one product better than another?

Thanks!

Tinkerbell397

My routine for walking in Disney is of course, comfortable, well worn shoes...maybe 2 pairs to alternate. I start with foot powder and good moisture wicking socks. I use moleskins but I find that Bandaids rub off easily. You can also try Hiker's Wool.... 100% lambs wool ...you can buy a generic brand in the store...looks like fuzzy fluff in the bag. I think I bought mine is CVS. Be sure to wash your feet and reapply powder etc, change your socks when you go back to your hotel for a mid afternoon rest. If I am going to dinner right from my hotel room, I give my feet a break and a breather and wear sandals. If you do get a blister, address it immediately....I carry my foot first-aid in the bag I carry into the park. Good Luck! :cat:

danpam1024

I buy really good socks as @Tinkerbell397 said. once I put those little sheer panty hose type peds on under socks and that worked pretty well. I know it's not a fashion statement or anything, but the very best thing have always been crocs with socks :(

thomas998

Even with good shoes, I tend to get blisters in the warmer months in Disney. Is one product better than another?

Thanks!

You might have good shoes, but they aren't the right shoes. I used to have problems until I found the right shoe for me, it was hiking boots, clearly not fashionable but when fitting properly they never give me a blister like a normal shoe. If you don't want to go that route consider some high top sneakers (assuming you are getting a blister on your heal) because a lot of the blister are caused by the shoe sliding up and down on your heal, but when you wear a high top you eliminate that possibility.

danpam1024

I agree with @thomas998 - this year I bought Nike free trains- they are a super soft shoe and don't rub my piggie toes raw :D AND they dry really fast!
upload_2014-5-1_12-18-15.jpeg

NeedMoreMickey

I find the moleskin is better to help prevent the blisters but if I do get one than I switch to the blister bandaid. I have always had trouble with my feet so I go the Dr. Scholls isle at Walgreens and stock up on anything I think I may need. I usually cut the moleskin up in different size, like little patches and keep them in my backpack. One other use for moleskin is if you have clothes that a bothering you. The granddaughter had her Cindy dress on and it had some kind of lace that was rubbing her arm. Little patch of moleskin on the inside of the dress and problem solved, the rubbing stopped and no meltdown. Someone told me once moleskin is duct tape for the body.

allgiggles

I always have at least 2 pair of cross-training type sneakers that I alternate each day. I make sure they're broken in (wearing them a few times a week for at least a month before our trip) and 2 different brands (preferable). By having 2 completely different pair of shoes, my feet aren't rubbing at the same spots every day and I'm not putting pressure on my feet in the same spots every day. I also use Dr. Scholl's Blister Defense stick on my heals and other potential blister sites on my feet and wear moisture wicking socks. I've never had anything close to a blister. My husband doesn't feel the need to take the precautions that I do, so he usually ends up with a blister or two by the end of the week. He likes the Band Aid brand blister band-aids. They're much stickier and stay in place better than regular band-aids. He's tried moleskin as well, but prefers the blister band-aids as they have more padding.

NeedMoreMickey

I wonder how the Dr. Scholl's Blister Defense stick compares to the Body Glide? I use the Body Glide that I get at the running shoe store for my legs or where ever I feel something rubbing and moleskin won't work. Maybe I'll try it on my sandals this summer.

Camelot

I've tried the blister bandaids, but it didn't cushion my blisters like I hoped it would have. So I'll try the moleskin next time. I've read on these boards about using Body Glide for blisters, but have not used it.

GenerationX

We haven't tried Blister Bandaids, but Moleskin works great to prevent blisters and to make walking bearable if you have blisters.

Clamman73

I've tried the blister bandaids, but it didn't cushion my blisters like I hoped it would have. So I'll try the moleskin next time. I've read on these boards about using Body Glide for blisters, but have not used it.
The key is to put the body glide or blister defense on spots that normally might get blisters before they start.

allgiggles

The key is to put the body glide or blister defense on spots that normally might get blisters before they start.

Yes, this! I've even thrown the little stick of blister defense in my pocket to take to the parks with me if I think I'll need to reapply during the day. Much better to prevent blisters than to treat them.

Maelstrom Troll

Thanks!

I'd buy better socks. I have running socks which do a great job of wicking moisture away which seems to help immensely. I also bring 2 pairs of tennis shoes, a pair of Chaco hiking sandals, and a pair of flip flops for the pool. A lot of footwear, but worth it in the long run when your feet, knees, and hips are killing you.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I had comfortable, well worn shoes that sadly gave me a blister during our trip a couple of weeks ago, on the first day, no less. Put on band aides and ended up buying Mickey crocs and wore them with my socks. Not very fashionable, but I was able to enjoy - and walk - the rest of our trip. And discovered the soothing bath bombs at Basin to add to my bath at night to soak my aching feet in. Like others have mentioned, I bring several pairs of comfortable shoes and a pair of Croc flip flops to wear at night. And good socks.

ninjaprincesst

I just avoid any shoe that requires socks, almost every time I've got a blister it has been due to socks. I think crocs are the ugliest shoes on the planet, but when I wear them I never get blisters. I don't know if anything helps when I do get a blister, I can't keep blister bandages or moleskin on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom