News Mobile Dining Check-In comes to My Disney Experience to eliminate podium check-in at restaurants

ThatMouse

Any mention on if the podium will be available for those without smartphones or data plans?

Most likely they can check you in using their device and send you a text when the table is ready. The QR code would take you to a website, so don't use that method.

Minthorne

Any mention on if the podium will be available for those without smartphones or data plans?

I’d assume that free WiFi for guests is available at any dining location at WDW so no data plan is no issue.

As for no smartphone - I think that there will be a cast member present that can handle the few people In this category.

DVCakaCarlF

As a follow up, let’s say I’m at poly and I want to go to GF for quick service, do I need a reservation? Is my hotel reservation, magic band, or affinity membership enough to allow movement? What about Olivia’s Cafe? I assume I need a reservation ahead of arrival?

wendysue

I’d assume that free WiFi for guests is available at any dining location at WDW so no data plan is no issue.

As for no smartphone - I think that there will be a cast member present that can handle the few people In this category.
You might be surprised at how many people don't have a smartphone.

disneygeek90

agree some of this is really starting to get depressing, now you cant even talk to anyone first? what if you have a special request or what if you dont want that table the screen tells you to go to?
I didn't get the impression that you would be seating yourself. Regardless, none of this is shocking to me. The crowds that build up at the host stand can get ridiculous when an entire family of 4 thinks they need to all be at the podium at one time.

Things are gonna be a lot different, beyond the fireworks and meet and greets. It is what it is.

icc2515

You might be surprised at how many people don't have a smartphone.
Ages 18-29 4%
Ages 30-49 8%
Ages 50-64 21%
65+ 47% The crazy thing is that 91% of them have a phone, just not a smart phone. They have to dig deep to get that flip phone AT&T offers 2 an Alcatel and something called a Sonim. Even consumers cellular only has 2.

Source is Pew Research.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member

If they're going to have someone with a device to check people in, it might as well be behind a podium of some sort so people know where to go.

icc2515

Again back to Ohana, I absolutely hate being the center of attention. I prefer sitting in the back away from the action. Just give me the food. Who do I tell this to now?
I have sat all over at 'Ohana and I don't even know what you are talking about being the center of attention. Maybe you are talking about breakfast. I have never been to 'Ohana breakfast.

But just so you know. 'Ohana is not opening initially and we don't know when or if they will open during the time of these restrictions.

icc2515

Another job gone! One of my favorite things I'm old school is checking in and interacting with the host especially at ohana.
Why what does the host do besides tell you that you are 30 minutes early come back in 15 minutes so we can tell you to go sit and wait 30 minutes until the pager goes off. I am happy that they are doing away with the hostess because we don't have any special seating requests. special celebrations, special this that or the other thing requests and don't need to take up 10-15 minutes of the staffs time like the people we usually get behind. This just gets me to the Tambu Lounge faster.

TrainsOfDisney

It will be very interesting to see how much they try to enforce the access to the resorts. If you’re staying at contemporary but are not allowed to take the boat over to Wilderness Lodge without a dining reservation for example.

The smartphone thing will be an issue with battery life if so much of the parks require them now. the Disney app drains it pretty fast for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom