MLB 2024 Discussion Thread (Current Champions: Texas Rangers)

Lilofan

i’ll be rooting for the phillies. i have zero respect for the astros until all members who took part in the cheating scandal are gone from the team.
Ways for the for the select ones to leave team is retire, get traded, demoted to minor leagues. Won't be held accountable because MLB knows they don't have a chance when players can use the George Costanza defense. Bottom line all teams cheat - stealing signs in inventive ways as an example.

Last edited:

SteveBrickNJ

162 regular season games since April then playoffs, players need a little break before WS I would think.
Or.....the ratings would be higher on a Friday night?
This World Series will extend into November.
Back when Reggie Jackson was called "Mr. October"...did the World Series also extend into November?

SteveBrickNJ

Back when Reggie Jackson was called "Mr. October"...did the World Series also extend into November?
I just looked.
The 1977 World Series with Reggie Jackson and the NY Yankees began on Oct. 11th and was done Oct. 18th
We have so many more teams eligible today....more series....good thing we are experiencing climate change (which I'd rather call global warming)
Tomorrow (Oct. 25th) in NJ it will be a high of 69F.
Even so, I bet the players would rather start Wednesday or Thursday. Friday will take forever to finally get here.

Last edited:

Lilofan

The time the Marlins won the WS over the Yankees that was a big temperature change. Playing in steamy Miami then traveling to the Bronx to play in the cold weather. The WS extends the season way into the end of the year. One incentive is bonus money for winner and loser .

SteveBrickNJ

World Series Game 1 is not until Friday. Why? Just get on with it!
I think these 21 to 35 year olds have had enough rest.
Any momentum MLB had with the fans now will be lost.
When Friday night rolls around after No baseball on Monday...No baseball on Tuesday....No baseball tonight...No baseball tomorrow....when Friday night finally arrives mostly the tv audience will consist of Phillies and Astros fans. The casual baseball fan (not associated with those 2 teams) might be thinking of football, hockey and basketball or Halloween. The multi multi day gap between the League Championship Series and the World Series is so lengthy. I think baseball has possibly "lost" those fans.
In contrast....
The NFL's Super Bowl is one big event that is on one night. People plan Super Bowl parties and they tune in.
The best of 7 games World Series has NO such tradition.

Last edited:

Lilofan

I think these 21 to 35 year olds have had enough rest.
Any momentum MLB had with the fans now will be lost.
When Friday night rolls around after No baseball on Monday...No baseball on Tuesday....No baseball tonight...No baseball tomorrow....when Friday night finally arrives mostly the tv audience will consist of Phillies and Astros fans. The casual baseball fan (not associated with those 2 teams) might be thinking of football, hockey and basketball or Halloween. The multi multi day gap between the League Championship Series and the World Series is so lengthy. I think baseball has possibly "lost" those fans.
In contrast....
The NFL's Super Bowl is one big event that is on one night. People plan Super Bowl parties and they tune in.
The best of 7 games World Series has NO such tradition.
I've worked in hotels where at times players looked liked zombies. Visiting teams returning from their night games at times at 1-2 am , flying from other cities checking in at 5 am for example , etc. It is an exhausting season that starts in Feb with spring training.

SteveBrickNJ

I've worked in hotels where at times players looked liked zombies. Visiting teams returning from their night games at times at 1-2 am , flying from other cities checking in at 5 am for example , etc. It is an exhausting season that starts in Feb with spring training.
Ok

SteveBrickNJ

In case anyone is interested, I found this....
Please note the 2nd paragraph of the article states that the date for the first day of the World Series is set weeks or even months in advance. The reason(s) are stated there.

Lilofan

Philly fans in state and out of state have a lot to cheer about between the Eagles, Union and the Phillies. I root for NY/NJ teams and there is not much love between my teams and PA teams.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom