MLB 2024 Discussion Thread (Current Champions: Texas Rangers)

SteveBrickNJ

Congrats to the Phillies. Played better baseball than we did these 4 games. Now let’s see who you get next. LA on the ropes tonight.

I continue to hate playing in Philly.
WHEN a Philadelphia sports team plays well, their fans are ferocious in their vocal support.
It becomes a tough tough tough place for the opposition.
When a Philadelphia team stinks, it becomes an uncomfortable place to be for the athletes and the coach/manager.

MattC

WHEN a Philadelphia sports team plays well, their fans are ferocious in their vocal support.
When a Philadelphia team stinks, it becomes an uncomfortable place to be for the athletes and the coach/manager.
I get that. Cheer and boo as loud as you can. Dress up, wave rags, and have signs. I draw the line at mocking the other team. That’s bad sportsmanship and something all our fathers/mothers/coaches taught us not to do.

That being said, the Phillies team handled themselves well and were respectful in all the interviews I saw. They seem to really be enjoying and appreciating how they are playing and getting deep into the post season. Good for them.

Lilofan

Philly fans are tough. Even Eagles football fans one game threw ice balls and beer bottles at Santa Claus. After the 1968 incident, and Howard Cosell was describing it, media described Philly fans as the absolute worst .

Last edited:

SteveBrickNJ

@MattC to an extent and especially @Lilofan are describing the people in the crowd that had too many beers and are not Philadelphia's finest citizens.:rolleyes:
The Santa Claus thing is historic and true. Less than 0.5% of the crowd was guilty. It wasn't an entire stadium of Santa haters 😂
@MattC 's reference to today: "mocking the other team" I'd need an explanation regarding that. I was "in and out" of the game because I was helping my wife with something. I caught 10 minutes of the game....then I'd be with her for 20 minutes...then I'd watch another 10 minutes of the game and be with her the next 20 minutes, etc. etc. throughout the afternoon.
I DID see many Phillies fans doing the tomahawk chop. That is something that the Atlanta fans used to do REGULARLY until it was decided to be insensitive to Native Americans. The Phillies fans WERE guilty of that.
Was there something else? 🤔
If so, was it 0.5% of the crowd and thus unfair to paint all Phillies fans with a broad brush statement? 🤔

Lilofan

@MattC to an extent and especially @Lilofan are describing the people in the crowd that had too many beers and are not Philadelphia's finest citizens.:rolleyes:
The Santa Claus thing is historic and true. Less than 0.5% of the crowd was guilty. It wasn't an entire stadium of Santa haters 😂
@MattC 's reference to today: "mocking the other team" I'd need an explanation regarding that. I was "in and out" of the game because I was helping my wife with something. I caught 10 minutes of the game....then I'd be with her for 20 minutes...then I'd watch another 10 minutes of the game and be with her the next 20 minutes, etc. etc. throughout the afternoon.
I DID see many Phillies fans doing the tomahawk chop. That is something that the Atlanta fans used to do REGULARLY until it was decided to be insensitive to Native Americans. The Phillies fans WERE guilty of that.
If so, was it 0.5% of the crowd and thus unfair to paint all Phillies fans with a broad brush statement? 🤔
To paint all as the bad apples is par for course of media, individuals , etc to try to make points to fire up their fan base and attract new followers.

Dad 2 M & M

Booing Santa….Paul Harvey is needed for the rest of the story….

“The” Santa that was booed was a fellow drunk pulled from the stands acting as Santa….supposedly it an audience participation type scenario….

Dad 2 M & M

Congrats my Homie….well done as the best team won!

Dad 2 M & M

I get that. Cheer and boo as loud as you can. Dress up, wave rags, and have signs. I draw the line at mocking the other team. That’s bad sportsmanship and something all our fathers/mothers/coaches taught us not to do.

That being said, the Phillies team handled themselves well and were respectful in all the interviews I saw. They seem to really be enjoying and appreciating how they are playing and getting deep into the post season. Good for them.
The Braves just didn’t seem to have IT all season….

Freddie making the elimination out for the Dodgers … if he had reached the tying run would have been at the plate… looked like he was ready to go hone….

Dad 2 M & M

The Phillies Padres series is going to be a struggle as I am from La Mesa/El Cajon and the Padres have always held a place in my heart. Having lived in Atl since the 60s, the Braves have been my team. That said , little sis and nephews live in Malvern and I’ve attended Phillies games 2nd only to Atl

Would live to see San Diego bring home its 1st ring…

MattC

The Braves just didn’t seem to have IT all season….

Freddie making the elimination out for the Dodgers … if he had reached the tying run would have been at the plate… looked like he was ready to go hone….
Agreed. The Braves won a lot of games, but I never got the feeling the team synced like last year. Media kept hyping that this years Braves were better than last years Braves. I never bought into that.
Does anyone want to see Houston again?
Nope. Not even a little bit. No punishment for the players in that whole scandal left a bad taste in my mouth.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom