MLB 2024 Discussion Thread (Current Champions: Texas Rangers)

MattC

Imagine being this stupid
Yeah, really is something to see isn't it?

My Braves are going to get sucked into this too. I have been preparing myself ever since that Cardinals pitcher decided to voice his opinion during the 2019 post-season. Common sense and reason mean nothing anymore. A loud minority who find offense in everything is shouting above everyone else.

SteveBrickNJ

Yeah, really is something to see isn't it?

My Braves are going to get sucked into this too. I have been preparing myself ever since that Cardinals pitcher decided to voice his opinion during the 2019 post-season. Common sense and reason mean nothing anymore. A loud minority who find offense in everything is shouting above everyone else.
I personally don't think the Braves should be sucked into this. Cleveland Indians..yes....Atlanta Braves (not the same situation)

Our continent's Native Americans were referred to as "Indians" in my childhood. Since they have no link whatsoever to India, that should have been corrected sooner rather then later.
The name "Braves" on the other hand COULD be viewed by Native Americans in a positive light. I wonder how the majority of them feel?
Here in NJ we don't really have any Native American COMMUNITY ( at least that I am aware of)
Yet consider this: our military are always being referred to as "Brave".
Fire fighters are "Brave".
I think "Brave" is a positive attribute so why not "Braves" as well?
Thoughts on this everyone?

Last edited:

LSLS

Not to start a total war, but I find it funny how invested people are in the nickname of a team. It's not like they are moving from town, they are just changing their nickname. Is it a minority offended by the name? Absolutely. But honestly, does changing the name really hurt you that much? Heck, in this case, it's not even like this was the franchises original name.

PopCentury

I personally don't think the Braves should be sucked into this. Cleveland Indians..yes....Atlanta Braves (not the same situation)

Our continent's Native Americans were referred to as "Indians" in my childhood. Since they have no link whatsoever to India, that should have been corrected sooner rather then later.
The name "Braves" on the other hand COULD be viewed by Native Americans in a positive light. I wonder how the majority of them feel?
Here in NJ we don't really have any Native American COMMUNITY ( at least that I am aware of)
Yet consider this: our military are always being referred to as "Brave".
Fire fighters are "Brave".
I think "Brave" is a positive attribute so why not "Braves" as well?
Thoughts on this everyone?

I think the Braves will be ok. It doesn’t sound offensive to me. If anything, I think the tomahawk chant should go away.

I don’t see any other team changing their names but we’ll see. The two professional teams that changed their names were obviously offensive

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think the Braves will be ok. It doesn’t sound offensive to me. If anything, I think the tomahawk chant should go away.

I don’t see any other team changing their names but we’ll see. The two professional teams that changed their names were obviously offensive

Braves are done too...
Even the ones with “letters of support” like the blackhawks are going to go. It’s a matter of time.

Chiefs too

MattC

Braves are done too...
Even the ones with “letters of support” like the blackhawks are going to go. It’s a matter of time.

Chiefs too
Yeah.
I appreciate what you guys are saying. I agree. I think the chant should stay too. But these are not reasonable times we live in. “Cancel culture” is swinging for the fences :)

Lilofan

The ATL Braves tomahawk emblem can be offensive to some but yes to more are critical of the Tomahawk chop the fans in the stands use that stands out. It is the sign of the times. A school that I knew some attended changed their Redskins name to Red Hawks.

MattC

Braves are done too...

Chiefs too
Everything I’m reading now names the Braves, Blackhawks and Chiefs. Some pretty inflammatory things being written. Insulting things.

Part of me says just go ahead and change the Braves name. Get it over with so that I don’t have to read about it every time the team is mentioned. I just want to be able to watch baseball drama free.

Lilofan

Everything I’m reading now names the Braves, Blackhawks and Chiefs. Some pretty inflammatory things being written. Insulting things.

Part of me says just go ahead and change the Braves name. Get it over with so that I don’t have to read about it every time the team is mentioned. I just want to be able to watch baseball drama free.
There will always be drama in baseball. Every team cheats to win.

Buck Wheelie

When people mention Tommy Lasorda I always remember when he was asked about Kurt Bavaqua. That is a classic especially when he said "The guy couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat." The whole thing is on youtube and i don't think I could provide a link here since this is a family site. Lasorda goes into a tirade of profanities.

Buck Wheelie

MLB HOF vote today and nobody got enough votes to get in. That's too bad because three of them deserve the honor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom