MKT'S Mission: Space Trip Report

General Grizz

Thanks, Rob, for the pictures!

I really like some of these things:
- The 75 Years Hall - Very informative, it seems
- Email Cards - VERY creative. LONG line, though! :lol:
- Horizons - Center of that neat queue piece!
- The layout - VERY gorgeous.

Things I HATE
- The Kid area. I am SO unbelievably against this. :lol: I'm not gonna go into it, but geez, that's SO upsetting.

Otherwise, AWESOME! I can't wait to check it out! :sohappy:

Although I can really go at any minute, I don't have APs or anything...so I think I'm gonna have to wait until December when we go to the CP.

Poncho1973

Originally posted by grizzlyhall
When it opens to the public officially, that line is gonna be HUGE! (I bet you SO much! :lol: )

I totally misunderstood what you were saying... I thought you were talking about THIS week.

Sorry... it's been a LONG day... I get up about 5:15am.

(Brain Cloud probably)

imagineersrock

my goodness- there have been so many different types of ecards posted so far; does anyone have an approximate number of how many DIFFERENT moives there were to make...???

-they're awesome though; cant wait to make my own!!!

Big Pooh

Things I HATE
- The Kid area. I am SO unbelievably against this. :lol: I'm not gonna go into it, but geez, that's SO upsetting.

OK...somebody has to ask.....WHY do you hate the kid's area?

Cheers :wave:

General Grizz

OK, I don't mean to start a major argument here, but here it goes.

There is still a lot of space being unused around Mission Space.
This area, designed specifically for kids, is not an enrichment center. It's a playground. Take a kid to McDonalds for free and play there. But no...increase admission to 52 dollars and enter for this.

Think about the Image Works. 1982-1998 version. Remember that? RAINBOW TUNNEL of amazement...Drama School...conduct your own orchestra. Was there a playground? Nooo. This wasn't even a kid area. This was a family area. The magic part is - the kids had JUST as much fun as the parents. Older kids - independent folk - it was all a place of sheer amazement. This was a family place to go. No need for a McDonalds.

This right here was the dream of Walt Disney. This is the first and main reason Walt BUILT Disneyland itself. Ever week, Walt would pick his two daughters up and take them to the park. Put them on the merry go round. Go get some peanuts. Watch them. Was he only watching the girls? No... He was imagining a place where he could be WITH his two daughters - kids and parents - experiencing a world where the latest in entertainment and technology could entertain them both simultaneously.

Mission Space is one of 9 pavilions. 2 of these pavilions are directed towards older guests: Mission Space and Test Track. Both of these replaced attractions that were intended for the family - attractions of inspiration, education, amazement, quality, and comedy. I am not saying that Horizons and World of Motion should have stayed open forever. Or even for a year later. I am saying that, these were family attractions - quite replaced by thrill rides. Although I haven't ridden Mission Space, I know it's geared to the thrill seeker. And frankly, Test Track doesn't have that "heart" to it.

Future World, kinda limited in this sense of 9 pavilions (with PLENTY of space to fill - in fact, Test Track condensed could have fit twice in the motion pavilion twice and could have fit behind World of Motion at least 3 times) - so take the Land pavilion. A restaurant, a boat ride, an Animatronics Show, a theater show. Why not have a truly family pavilion? KEEP the thrill rides! I am ALL for them! :) Have a family style attraction, a thrill attraction, and a postshow.

When families enter Mission Space, let's say Mom and Dad and Big Brother of 11 years old go to ride the attraction. But young Mary of 2 years old is looking around for entertainment and finds this neat new playground. Let's say Uncle Bill or Grandma Sue has to stay behind to take care of Little Mary. While Mary is in the tunnels playing around (which I might add, seem no better than SeaWorld - yeah, Dino-Rama and now this), Uncle or Grandma sits behind, watching her...while eating a bag of peanuts.

General Grizz

(Oh, and BTW, I am REALLY looking forward to Mission Space. It looks STELLAR. I was just commenting on that kids area...it really got me sick to my stomach. Hey! I'll get as much as a thrill watching it after the ride! :lol: )

Thanks so much Rob for all of your effort. It's all so neat. :)

CTXRover

Grizz, nice post that made a lot of sense :)

But don't forget about the videos that kids and their parents or guardians can make together (the space videos that some have made and posted here). Kids of all ages will surely love that. Also, depending on its complexity, everyone can probably play the race game together. In my view, the kid's area gives the kids something special that they can call their own. Kids love climbing through tubes and ropes and parents often like to watch their children having their own fun while they can take a seat and relax (hopefully there is enough seating around the area). I imagine there is more than the tubes shown in the great photos that Rob took (If I recall, the press release showed a shuttle attached to those tubes). If the big kids have their own place (the actual ride), why can't the little ones have their own place that adults can't enter? :)

General Grizz

Originally posted by CTXRover
If the big kids have their own place (the actual ride), why can't the little ones have their own place that adults can't enter? :)

TOUCHE!! :lol:

Eh, the kids aren't that self-conscious...I can't imagine a two year old going "oh great, here comes my mom" or "must rebel..." at Disney :lol: - and I agree! The emails are GREAT - a real crowd pleaser!

But the playplace? Oh gosh... I just can't say anything more... :brick: :hammer:

What I mean is, experience this at Chuck E. Cheese. But Disney is SO different from it...it's not Disney level for me...in quality or in meaning in my opinion. You can get a playplace in every street corner at Hardees or Burger King or McDonalds...but you're at DISNEY WORLD!!! :lol:

CTXRover

What I mean is, experience this at Chuck E. Cheese. But Disney is SO different from it...it's not Disney level for me...in quality or in meaning in my opinion. You can get a playplace in every street corner at Hardees or Burger King or McDonalds...but you're at DISNEY WORLD!!! :lol:

Oh I totally see what you are saying and I agree with it on several levels. It might have been neater to have an actual mock shuttle they could climb through or something, but I will bet kids will love this place!. I just think that only at Disney would they build a thrill ride that obviously very small guests can't ride and then build a special place for them so they can experience "space" too, along with things the whole family can do together (the videos and space race game). I guess it could be more than just a typical playground, but it does have a space theme at least :lol:

CoraJack

Account Suspended
Rob--

I'll say it again, even though everyone else already has...thank you.

Question: I see kids in some of your pictures. Now I know they are not cast members, are you guys allowed to bring family/friends to ride or are these lucky guests who were let in?

Please let me know if I have any chance of riding anytime between June 17th and 24th!!!

Thanks,
Christina

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
Grizz...

here's the thing- the pavilion is still not complete. Heck, last week, the Horizons logo wasn't even on the wheel. Details are being added all the time. It has to be up to 100% show quality by August 15... we have time.

lileonard

Banned
A couple questions, When you are wieghtless is it just a sensation or are u actually floating weightless?

I am going from july 15th throught the 23rd will there be any chance that i will be able to ride?

grandmath

I also have a few questions:

is the launch more intense and longer than the one on RRC? (i think that looking upwards must make it more impressive if the feeling is the same)
is the "floating" part longer than the one you feel on TOT?
what kind of thrills do you encounter during the rest of the trip? (Is it just like star tours, or are there any difference)
Are there effects inside the pod? (lights, sounds etc)

thanks for replying

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom