MKCP 1986's Easter Weekend Trip Report

Our crew of six consisting of my wife and me, along with our two children, each of whom brought a friend, arrived in Mickey land on Thursday night, April 8. Our “scheduled” Disney time had us arriving on Friday morning, but we were driving from the Mississippi Gulf Coast and made better time than expected, so we called from the road and found an opening for one night at the Ft. Wilderness cabins. I had stayed there back in the mid-90s when they were trailers, and was pleasantly surprised to find they have changed their appearance. They now look like little trailer-shaped log cabins. Much better!

After checking in, we made priority seating arrangements at Whispering Canyon Café at the Great Wilderness Lodge. The food was good, and more than we could eat – always a good sign! I recommend this restaurant for its fun atmosphere. The napkins are bandanas, and the wait staff brings extra bandanas for the kids, making them into headbands, decorated with straws or crayons in lieu of feathers. The wait staff is very involved and try to be funny (with good success).

This meal was a very good start to our trip, but the Great Wilderness lodge is not the best place to be at suppertime to catch the Wishes fireworks show. You are directed to the parking lot – not the front entrance, but the actual parking lot in order to gain the best view! Still, I love the GWL and Whispering Canyon Café is a super place to take a hungry family.

When we arrived back at the cabin, we were happy to find a dedicated Walt Disney cartoon channel on the television. Classic Mickey Mouse cartoons ran all the time on a continuous loop. Nice!

Friday morning came and we gathered our belongings and drove over to Coronado Springs Resort. Registration was a breeze and we left our belongings with the bellman, since we were way too early to get a room. The length of stay, ultimate park hopper tickets were printed on what would become our room keys. This was curious, because we were given the tickets/keys without being assigned specific rooms, and I was given a slip of paper with a number to call in the afternoon to learn my room numbers. We could then go directly to the room and the keys would work, without any need to return to the registration desk. I was impressed!

After grabbing a light breakfast, we were off to the Magic Kingdom! Because we are not the earliest of risers, we didn’t leave Coronado Springs until shortly after 9:00 a.m. The Coronado Springs bus runs directly to the park with no delays, so we made good time getting to the park, and went straight for fast passes to Big Thunder and stood in line for Splash Mountain, a 30 minute wait at 9:45. We knew Friday would be a heavy attendance day and the lines would get longer as the day went on and they did. We were able to get in Splash Mountain, Big Thunder, Pirates, TTA and Astro-Orbiter and grabbed a fast pass to Haunted Mansion before our priority seating reservation at Cinderella’s Royal Table.

While in Adventureland, I went out of my way to eat a Dole Whip in tribute to my college roommate who was assigned to the Dole Whip machine during the summer of ’86, Good as ever! The kids explored the Treehouse while I got the ice creams and by the time the whips were ready, they were back.

At Cinderella’s Royal Table, our waiter was “impressed” with my 11 year old son’s appetite for the pretzel bread and challenged him to a contest. As he explained, my son would have to answer three easy questions. If he did not like the question, he could pass and be given another question in its place. If he successfully answered three questions, our waiter would pay for our meal and give my son $100 in spending money. If he failed to answer any question correctly, he would have to do a specific chore for each other person in our party. Sound easy? I thought we had lucked into an unannounced promotional giveaway! To my disappointment, my son declined the challenge and would not be prodded. Later, after I had settled the check, the waiter told me that although his questions are easy, no person has ever won the free meal! Not a promotional give-away after all! Easy “trick” questions!

After lunch, we cashed in our HM fast pass. The stretching rooms are in fine condition – no noticeable wear and tear on the picture frames. At the point when the hitchhiking ghosts are in your car, just before you unload, I snapped a photo of my son and his friend in their doom buggy - the ghost was between them, but on the developed photo - no ghost! Spoooky!

We then returned to Tomorrowland and hit Buzz Lightyear, Space Mountain and Carousel of Progress. Yes, the curtain in one room is in disrepair, but the show went well and was enjoyable. Also, on Astro-orbiter, the planets definitely were not rotating, although the ride itself worked just fine.

We got ice cream in front of Space Mountain from a poor cast member who I doubt will make it through the Spring Break weeks. As a graduate of Outdoor Foods, I have great compassion for the ice cream and popcorn vendors, and go out of my way to encourage them as I have strong, fond memories of spending two summers in those positions. This poor girl who was obviously in her first day (her trainer stood alongside) couldn’t calculate the cost of three $3.00 Toll house cookie ice creams (demanding $12.00), and then couldn’t figure the change from a $20.00, and finally, the trainer had to tell her what I was owed back. Shame, shame!

By late afternoon, the crowds were outrageous, and we left around 6:00 and went over to the Polynesian for an early supper at ‘Ohanas. ‘Ohanas was great, and was more food than we could eat, but I took an extra helping of the pork. My 14 year old daughter asked me if I wasn’t being a pig, and I responded saying, “That’s right – whenever I come to the Magic Kingdom, the Big Bad Wolf always comes after me.” When you are the father of a 14 year old daughter, you have to say things like that so she can be EMBARRASSED, especially in front of friends.

After supper, we went back to the Magic Kingdom and rode pre-rehab Small World for the lat time, rode Teacups and Space Mountain again, then took our place in line for Wishes, which was a great show, later winning my crew’s award for best current firework show at WDW. Afterwards, we waded through the mob to Frontierland to wait for the Spectromagic parade. To my dismay, I was still too stuffed from supper to eat a turkey leg! This would be a recurring theme throughout our stay, and I learned that if we want to eat the popcorn, ice creams and turkey legs, we need to stay away from the big supper meals served so well throughout the resort.

During Spectromagic, what do you know, but the Big Bad Wolf spotted me, came over and shook my hand. Daughter was speechless! What a laugh. After the parade, we were all worn out from a big day, so we left the park without riding any more rides. We all were a little disappointed at something we didn’t get to do (primarily Philharmagic and Peter Pan).

On the way out, we made a convenience stop by Casey’s Corner, so while I was waiting for everyone, I wandered inside to check it out, since that is the location of the first place where I worked during my time on the college program. I met a very nice young lady from Wyoming, currently on the college program. She told me she would be there through the end of summer and was splitting her time between foods and entertainment, and was having a great time.

(Next – Day 2)

cherrynegra

Originally posted by MKCP 1986

We got ice cream in front of Space Mountain from a poor cast member who I doubt will make it through the Spring Break weeks. As a graduate of Outdoor Foods, I have great compassion for the ice cream and popcorn vendors, and go out of my way to encourage them as I have strong, fond memories of spending two summers in those positions. This poor girl who was obviously in her first day (her trainer stood alongside) couldn’t calculate the cost of three $3.00 Toll house cookie ice creams (demanding $12.00), and then couldn’t figure the change from a $20.00, and finally, the trainer had to tell her what I was owed back. Shame, shame!

Very nice trip report. Very funny. As for the newbie CM, I'm not surprised. Everything is done by machines these days that it makes everyone dependent on them. But I think I'd be able to figure out the cost of three $3.00 Toll House cookies and change for $20.:lol:

MKCP 1985

Original Poster
Day 2:

Day 2: Saturday April 10

We were up early (for us) and rode the CSR bus to Animal Kingdom. This bus makes a stop at Blizzard Beach and then proceeds to AK. We arrived at the park entrance around 8:45 a.m. Walking in, I never saw the Rainforest Café. This was my second trip to Animal Kingdom and I didn’t notice it either time.

After getting through the gate, we went straight for Dinosaur. The line was short (walk on) so we went over to Primeval Whirl (twice) and then back to Dinosaur. Everyone enjoyed these two attractions, although the Primeval Whirl is certainly not up to Disney quality standards. It is a midway ride without pretense of being anything more. There was an extremely unattractive dinosaur character outside this area. The girls had their photos taken with it, and later commented that it was by far the ugliest Disney character they have ever seen. I’ll post a photo later. Poor thing. Dinosaur, on the other hand, was awesome! The kids had voted Space Mountain their Friday favorite, but they greatly preferred Dinosaur.

We left Dinoland and proceeded to the Tree of Life for the Tough to be a Bug show. Everyone enjoyed it, but remember to sit back against the back of your seat - don’t slouch forward or you may miss some of the “4-D” effects. I don’t want to spoil anything for you who haven’t been so that’s all I’ll say about that.

Next was Asia. The Everest construction is very visible, and the footpath is well beyond the areas of the park we were visiting, so I did not walk the path. The kids rode the Kali River Rapids and we all checked out the tigers and other animals on the walking trail. Someone had put two fast passes on the machine for the rapids, so after making sure they didn’t belong to somebody, the kids flipped to see who could go twice. The boys won so they were able to ride the rapids twice. The girls enjoyed a snack of McDonalds French fries while waiting for the boys and their fastpass time to arrive. McDonalds?

Afterwards, we walked to Africa and rode the safari. By the time we finished, it was lunchtime, and we headed out of the park, stopping at Pizzafari for lunch. Something about the heat of the Animal Kingdom Park brings out the grumpiness of our group at lunchtime in the heat of the day. I was glad to get out of there as fast as possible. We had overstayed our limit of patience by about 30 minutes.

We went back to CSR for an afternoon swim. I am told someone had deposited an unwelcome natural object into the main pool, the result of which was the pool was closed for cleaning. Cue the scene from “Caddy shack” – but we enjoyed the “quiet” pool nearest our Casita rooms – not so quiet since all the guests were redirected from the Dig Site pool.

A couple of hours later, we headed to EPCOT Center and upon arriving all split up. The boys and the Mrs. went with me to Spaceship Earth, and then we boys only went over to Mission: Space while the Mrs. went to shop and look at flowers.

There were no fastpasses left for Test Track for the remainder of the day, and no-one was being allowed on the ride at that time, so after Mission Space, we started towards Mexico, but realizing our Supper reservation was in Morocco at Marrakesh, we decided to go via the closer route through Canada. Walking along the lake, we could not see any evidence of Soarin’ encroaching on the Canada skyline.

The Moroccan restaurant was well attended, but not full. The belly dancer was lively, “sassy” and entertaining, and the meal was good. Unfortunately, something happened that spoiled the dinner for the girls. Someone had gotten sick in the ladies room, including on the door. The less said here the better, but do you get what I am saying? It is a shame, too, because the meal had been good. Now, all I hear is “next time – back to Japan, or Italy, or let’s try Mexico.”

Desserts were from the France pastry shop and made everybody happy, and we settled down for the Illuminations show, which I still think is hard to follow since so much of it is on that globe out in the middle of the danged lake and hard to see. My group was unanimous in finding the Wishes show was better. While in France, the boys had a photo taken with Emilie, a very attractive hostess who invited us to come inside and watch the film with her. Actually, she didn't say she would be joining us, but we had to get on to our Illuminations viewing spot. As long as there are Emilies, there is hope for France.

We didn’t allow ourselves enough time to really do much at EPCOT Center. The girls shopped around the countries while we were split up. They reported Test Track was closed when they tried to get in line, but they had gotten on board Mission: Space. We didn’t get to the American Adventure, Maelstrom or Mexico, all favorites. All six of us enjoyed M:S. I was disappointed the souvenir barf bag had no logo. Just a plain white bag, so I left it for someone else.

We left EPCOT through the exit to the Boardwalk resorts and poked around there for a while, checking out the ESPN Zone, with the plan of catching a bus to Downtown Disney. This decision proved to be a mistake. There was a protracted wait for a bus. When it finally arrived, it made stops at the Dolphin, the Swan, and almost certainly somewhere else before going to Downtown Disney. We calculated roughly 1 hour and 15 minutes of elapsed time between the time we arrived at the Boardwalk bus area and when we exited the bus at Pleasure Island. It was 11:00, and everyone in the group was exhausted by the bus ordeal, so we got straight onto the Coronado Springs bus and went back to our hotel, and were back in ten minutes. The Coronado Springs Resort bus has to be the best of them all.

We were never able to find that Disney classic cartoons channel on the television at Coronado Springs Resort. I don’t know why, but after ten minutes of channel surfing, it was lights out for Day 2. We went to sleep that night with Dinosaur as the kids’ favorite ride, but Disney MGM was yet to come . . . .

(Next – Day 3: Easter Sunday)

MKCP 1985

Original Poster
Day 3: Disney MGM Studios

Thank you for the kind encouragement, cherrynegra and mansionmaiden. As mentioned in the Day 2 report, here is a link to possibly the ugliest Disney character ever, standing alongside the girls:

http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/showphoto.php?photo=9159

On Day 3, we awoke early and the Easter Bunny had made a visit to our rooms during the night. Chocolates and candies were left for the kids, and added to the festive mood as we prepared for what would be our last day in the parks. After a quick devotional of remembrance of the day, we headed out for breakfast at . . . The PEPPER MARKET! I don’t know how much you all have heard about this place, but it is the Coronado Springs Resort’s food court, with a twist. First, you are seated and given “Bingo Cards.” There are assorted food stations where you can get pretty much anything you wish and a charge is posted for each item. A 10% gratuity is added onto your charge, even if you get your breakfast to go - very controversial!

The Pepper Market is decorated with an enormous Rooster Head, which appears to be smiling as it overlooks the entire seating area. While the Mrs. and I each had a simple packaged breakfast, the kids each loaded up their plates with eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, muffins, bananas, grits and juice or milk at a la carte prices. Our cards had two simple stamps, but the kids’ cards looked like a world traveler’s passport! I knew this would be trouble, and sure enough, when the cards were tallied, the total cost came out to around $90 for the six of us. Now I know why that danged Rooster is smiling!

Again, quick bus service took us directly to Disney MGM Studios and we arrived within 10 minutes of sitting down at the bus stop. Not all of us were up for the Tower of Terror, so we got fast passes for TofT and went straight for RocknRollerCoaster, a 10 minute wait at 9:00. The ride lived up to expectations and was every bit as fun and exciting as it had been the last time we visited, in 1999, when it was brand new. Afterwards, we split up with those who wished going to Tower of Terror while the Mrs. – there I said it – she was the only one who wouldn’t go – trekked off to Star Tours for a fast pass for the lot of us. ToT was soo much better this time than in 1999. We all loved it and made plans to ride again late in the day.

Solely in the interest of allowing the kids to experience the full park, we left Sunset Blvd and proceeded to the Great Movie Ride, where we met back up with Mrs. and walked onto GMR. They had changed the live action sequence *** Warning – spoiler ahead - *** since my last visit so that there was no longer a gangster shootout in the Chicago mobster scene, right after seeing Jimmy Cagney, but instead there was a Western shootout right after John Wayne, and instead of a mobster commandeering the Ride, we had a Western female bandit (female!) The change meant the gangsters and the police officers in the car glared at each other, while we waited for something to happen that never did. In the western scene, the shootout between the AA “Snake,” live action female bandit, and AA Sheriff on the balcony was not bad, since the bandit set the bank ablaze with a bomb, but I preferred the police car racing in, with the barrage of machine gun fire. *** End Spoiler ***

I asked the kids what they thought of the GMR and the direct quote – “It wasn’t so great,” was a little disappointing, but was better than the other: “It was better than that stupid Spaceship Earth at EPCOT.” (Sad) These kids today! I tellya!

At this point, we were able to use our fastpasses for Star Tours, which looked to have about a 35-40 minute wait in standby. After finishing Star Tours, we left the park for an Easter dinner with friends in Orlando and a second attempt at a swim at the Coronado Springs Main Pool. One of the friends’ children works at City Walk and we learned the Mummy was in soft openings! Man – a missed opportunity!

When we returned to the hotel, the main pool was open and we had a grand ole time on the water slide and playing around the pool. The boys went off to explore the extra large hot tub, and my son’s friend came back impressed. Apparently, his parents had always told him that hotel hot tubs had a minimum age of 18, so this was his first experience! LOL Sorry, parents – you should have told me - I hope I didn’t ruin your alone time on your next family trip!

We had booked the Fantasmic dinner package at 6:10 p.m. at Hollywood & Vine, so we went back to the park at around 5:00. We went back into the park and rode RocknRoller Coaster, then found we had not quite enough time to do TofT or Muppet 3D before our appointed priority seating time. I wanted to take them to see Walt Disney – One Man’s Dream, but on the way encountered a troupe of street performers. The boys wanted to watch this, so we settled in for their "funniest person in Hollywood" contest which lasted until time for our meal. When we checked in, they told us there would be a 20 minute wait, and I immediately began lamenting the fact we could have done the shows had we not been required to check in five minutes early to be seated 20 minutes later! Some people walked up right ahead of me with no priority seating appoitments and got seated at roughly the same time as we did.

Anyway, the wait was more like 10 minutes and Hollywood & Vine had a well stocked buffet. The menu had something for everyone and the dessert bar was outstanding!

Our waiter explained the check-in system for Fantasmic. For an 8:30 performance, we would have to be at the check-in area (Oscar’s) no later than 8:00 p.m. This later caused us problems again, as when we left the restaurant, we had not quite enough time to catch the Muppets 3D show before we had to be at Oscar’s, so we walked around a bit and it began to rain.

The Sunday night rain was the first precipitation encountered during our entire trip, so we had no complaints. Unfortunately, the rain did not immediately pass and Fantasmic was delayed on a “wait and see” basis. There was a large mob of people who'd done the package milling around at Oscar's. At that point, we were hating the fact we’d done the dinner package and we’d had it with sacrificing ride time in order to be on a schedule, so we agreed to meet back together at the main gift shop at 9:00 p.m., ditched the Fantasmic show and split up again with the boys going to Rock n Rollercoaster and TofT and the girls going off to Muppets and whatever else. I never heard whether the early Fantasmic show was performed at all that night.

At 9:00, we left Disney MGM for Downtown Disney. The boys were dying to explore Disney Quest and the girls wanted to explore the whole area. Mrs. and I were looking forward to Pleasure Island. Because of the bus problems from the night before (the 1 hour and 15 minutes of madness), we had driven our own car this time, and that worked out just fine. Disney Quest stayed open until 11:00, and we made plans to meet back up at its exit at that time.

Pleasure Island was DEAD!!!! I could not believe how empty it was. I have never seen it so empty. When we crossed the bridge and came into the stage area, a rock band was playing to an empty courtyard. There may have been 20 people scattered in the area. It broke my heart, but maybe it was early and maybe the rain had kept people away.

We walked into the Adventurers’ Club, which was well attended. Every seat was taken in the main downstairs area, but there was plenty of room in the adjoining rooms and upstairs. A show was beginning in the mask room, so in we went and to the horror of Mrs., she was singled out by the masks for a little special attention. Afterwards, back in the main room, a young guy and a father from Albany, NY, were selected to compete to become bodyguards for the goddess mask on the wall. It was all in fun, but they were required to bow to her, and carry on, and because it was Easter Sunday, it was just unsettling enough that I felt uncomfortable so we left. I love the Adventurers’ Club – KUNGALOOSH! – but I wouldn’t have bowed to the pretend goddess on Easter Sunday.

We checked out the other clubs (dead) then returned to the West Side and sat down for drinks at House of Blues where a big line started forming around 10:15 for some live band playing inside, so there was some excitement after all! At 11:00, we gathered the boys who absolutely loved the Disney Quest, and the girls who had a great time walking around spending their money at the record store. Because we had driven over, we were able to leave immediately and were back in our rooms by 11:30.

Everyone agreed their favorite attraction of all was RocknRollerCoaster, followed by Dinosaur. After those two, the remaining favorites were in no particular order, Tower of Terror, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain and Mission: Space. We were sorry to miss Fantasmic, and thought Wishes outdid the Illuminations.

It was a great trip, with only minor problems of no consequence. Disney cast members did a great job of fixing the small things that went wrong. Despite reading warnings here of anticipated exess capacity crowds and possible park closings, we only ever felt crowded at the Magic Kingdom, and the other parks were well attended, but manageable. We never encountered any problems re-entering any parks at night.

Walt Disney World seemed to be doing quite well, thank you, and we all look forward to going back soon. The kids will probably require us to bypass EPCOT altogether next time, but Animal Kingdom scored highly enough that with the added allure of Expedition Everest in 2006, we will undoubtedly keep it in the rotation, certainly adding Islands of Adventure and probably Universal Orlando.

cherrynegra

Very excellent report. You DEFINITELY get an A+ in my book. Almost felt like I was almost there myself. I have to agree that that Dinosaur has to be the ugliest character yet. Other than Eisner. Whoops. Did I say that out loud?:lol:

BRER STITCH

Great report! Thanks for sharing!

Interesting comments on the Pepper Market! I had read similar things about that in the past. Hard to believe Disney would let them operate that way.

My favorite line: "Now I know why that danged Rooster is smiling!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the warning!

Glad you and the family had a good time!

:cool:

MKCP 1985

Original Poster
Now that the remainder of the photos are up, here is France's Emilie from our Saturday night at EPCOT Center:

http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/showphoto.php?photo=9287&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

and the "bingo cards" for our Pepper Market breakfast:

http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/showphoto.php?photo=9295&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

and in closing, the girls modeling their Moroccan scarves:

http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/showphoto.php?photo=9293&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

It was a great trip, and we can't wait for Expedition Everest!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom