MK 24 hour party 2015 - Coolest Summer Ever

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
I mis-read "the traditional kickoff to summer" as annual - never mind
No worries! Just thought I missed something somewhere. I regret not going for the Leap Day event so maybe I'll finally make it to one of these eventually.

Anyone know how Ops feels about these events? I'm guessing they aren't big fans.

Eckert

So I've never done this 24 hour day, is it really worth going to? While it sounds fun, are there some fun and unique events or food, or anything special that happens on these days? Or am I just gonna be waiting an hour for SDMT at 4am?

seahawk7

#MonstrousSummer was the single worst experience I've ever had at a Disney park. I'm not one to criticize operations but they seemed totally and utterly unprepared. It's like they were surprised it was busy. Main Street was an absolute bottleneck. People were shouting, shoving, and cursing like I've never seen. Trash cans were overflowing everywhere. Complete nightmare.
I missed all the fighting I must have been asleep in the Hall of Presidents.

DisneyOutsider

So I've never done this 24 hour day, is it really worth going to? While it sounds fun, are there some fun and unique events or food, or anything special that happens on these days? Or am I just gonna be waiting an hour for SDMT at 4am?

Each one has been a little different. I know that the past couple of times there have been some special menu items at some of the quick service. Last year I had a special Poison Apple Waffles thingy at the Sleepy Hollow Inn, themed to the 'Heroes vs. Villains' theme for the day. They don't really go all out with special menu items, just a few things here and there.

There was also a (really fun) special villains-only parade and several (poorly executed)rare villains meet and greets. Once it starts to get past midnight they also usually do some dance parties at various locations throughout the park (tomorrowland stage area, front of castle, frontierland). I know this might sound really cheesy/lame, I thought so too, but when you've been at the park for 15 hours straight and are starting to fade you kind of appreciate the excitement. Also, it's really fun to see the characters in the crowd dancing with everyone.

Admittedly, this years' theme is pretty lame, but that's not what I enjoy most about these events. I enjoy watching the Welcome Show before the sun comes up, riding Dumbo while watching the sun rise, taking it slow knowing I have all day to do whatever I want (last year people watching was awesome because everyone was encouraged to come in costumes of your fav villian/hero), riding splash mountain at all hours of the night, seeing the inside of Space Mountain with the lights ON (ride TTA after ~4am), eating a Mickey rice crispy at 3 am... heck really doing anything in MK at that hour is a unique experience.

Also, the dynamic of the crowd really changes once you start to get into those wee hours. Most of the little princesses and pirates tire out and it becomes a much more young-middle age adult crowd (I'll let you decide whether that's good or not).

Anyways, those are my highlights from going last year. I thought it was WELL worth it to experience, at least once.

seahawk7

They do have some special things but for me it's just being able to be in the Magic Kingdom over night. It's some people's cup of tea and others don't care for it. The only way to know if you would like it is to experience it.

seahawk7

SO happy that it's back and they finally announced it! Always wanted to try this once and this was the first year I've been able to go. The only way I wanted to do it was if I could get a room at the Contemporary and be able to easily walk back to the room whenever I need a break. Had to book my DVC at BLT back in October hoping that it would be on the 22nd again.

So, any advice from people that have done this before? I plan on being there at opening and closing, and as much as possible in between, resting at the room as needed.
I work graveyard so I'm used to being up for 24 hours. My advice is to hydrate and drink caffeine in small amounts throughout the night. Stay away from sweets so you don't crash and eat healthy food options and stay away from fried foods so you don't get bloated. You can take cat naps if needed in certain areas although I find they are not necessary.

Sped2424

tumblr_inline_nl2eppgKLj1qbujt4.gif

disney4life2008

I attended monster in 2013 i arrived at 6pm that night and it was crazy as others have said. However, by midnight the park was aamazing. I caught some zs at gastons Tavern and rode haunted mansion 1000 times. I achievd tthe goal of watching the sun rise by 6am i had enough lol. I was exhausted but you have to experience it once

meekoman

This year I'm finally getting to go, but, it will be with my 8 year old daughter. It will be our first trip; just the two of us since my divorce last summer. It will be a good bonding time. Any suggestions on doing this event with a child? I had planned on letting her have some nap times during the night.
Also, we have dressed up for numerous events at the parks in the past and was seeing that they encourage you to dress up for this one too. Do many people actually dress up?

MagicHappens1971

This year I'm finally getting to go, but, it will be with my 8 year old daughter. It will be our first trip; just the two of us since my divorce last summer. It will be a good bonding time. Any suggestions on doing this event with a child? I had planned on letting her have some nap times during the night.
Also, we have dressed up for numerous events at the parks in the past and was seeing that they encourage you to dress up for this one too. Do many people actually dress up?
Yes, people get very into it. Last year was the "#RockYourDisneySide" and it was Heroes VS Villains, so alot of people dressed to that, but you didn't have to.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Last year they had the big screen area over by Astro set up to show movies - they laid some type of outdoor carpet on the concrete. Folks were flaked out catching some shuteye. I would suggest bringing a pillow and blanket with you and renting a locker to store them during the day. My backpack wasn't the most comfortable thing to lay my head on. We will be going again this year and I will make sure that locker has some pillows, blankets, snacks, water, Monster drinks for my daughter, and other items so we can comfortably take a nap. Because I want to see the sun rise over the Castle this year.

seahawk7

I'm hoping you guys have a great time! I see about 1/4 of the crowd dressing up but more towards the evening. We never dress up in costumes but if we did it would be something comfortable that could last until the morning. Maybe take some cute pajamas that she can wear towards the early morning since the characters wear pajamas then too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom