News Mizner's Lounge to be expanded at Disney's Grand Floridan Resort into a Beauty and the Beast inspired lounge

DisneyOutsider

This UGLY lounge has nothing to do with the theming or story of the hotel. There is no way this is a Disney designer - it looks like a Hilton or Marriott hotel. It’s random, generic design, more grey, and represents more problems ahead for Disney resorts as they slowly chisel away at their brand. Don’t listen to guests - do what you have always done. Create places that don’t look like the outside world.

Yeah, I'm gonna guess you've never been to Mizner's

jmuboy

My thoughts
  • the concept is so ridiculously forced its sad
  • I appreciate the design, while not appealing, isn’t fantasyland- Esque in execution
  • in reference to my point above the library room looks very dark and “heavy” compared to the design and era of the white and red feel of the hotel now. Hope the garden room and balcony look more “light” in color palette. I can only assume they will

I write all this while having breakfast at the Del aNd wishing this hotel experience is what WDW still strived for

Attachments

• 52EF60EE-F273-4E10-ADB3-51D3781D0A5C.jpeg
    52EF60EE-F273-4E10-ADB3-51D3781D0A5C.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 107

Kman101

It looks nice. At least they go with "inspired by" instead of it being themed how I thought it would be. Still doesn't excuse location. This isn't "The Disneyland Hotel" ... it's Grand FLORIDIAN. You just can't keep shoving things anywhere, but most guests just don't care. My guess is they wanted to expand and re-do Mizner's and IP was the only way to get it approved ... shame

Last edited:

WDW Monorail

I’m hoping it will be done similarly to how the Ale and Compass Lounge was done. Very elegant. I’ve never been to Mizners but I will visit once it reopens with this fantastic remodel and expansion.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Apparently Disney can now jam a square peg into a round hole and slap their newest buzz phrase, "inspired by", on top of it, and the defenders of Dis will form ranks to celebrate the perfect fit they consider it to be.

I can take a dump in a box and , mark it "inspired by Moana", but all I sold you was an "inspirational" p.o.s. Now fork over your $50 for my mAgIcAl creation!!!!

MaryJaneP

All you Mizner's fans will have to suffer through this until TDO can really rehab the bar/lounge area as they really want to (a coin-operated beer dispenser area) in a few years.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
All you Mizner's fans will have to suffer through this until TDO can really rehab the bar/lounge area as they really want to (a coin-operated beer dispenser area) in a few years.
This is a common (and completely inaccurate) response. What you label as "Mizner fans", are simply those of us who completely welcome change and expansion, but prefer it be done correctly and with some shred of coherency.

A Prada tuxedo and a pair of Prada hiking boots are both extremely elegant and designed to be stunning, but that does not mean they match if worn together.

Missing20K

It's worth recalling that Mrs Potts and Chip are represented on the floor next to the Garden View Tea Room, so this particular IP isn't entirely new to the Grand Floridian.

348s.jpg

I agree that it's an iffy choice of theme for the bar, but I have to admit that I personally find the concept art more interesting than the old scheme. It's by no means a literal take on Beauty and the Beast, and it looks grownup rather than child-friendly. I just hope the end result doesn't feel (too) out of place.
I might argue that some character tile inlays do not make a theme. But I won't. ;)
Decoration versus experience. While a bit anachronistic, that is intended to recall an external reference (decoration), and not place one within a world (experience).

Missing20K

If nothing else comes from this reno, they could at least make the beer service interesting. How about a self-serve beer dispenser run off RFID cards? iPourIt.

First Draft Tap Room, locations in Denver, Minneapolis and LA.

Having just been to the Denver location, it's quite awesome to walk up and pour your own. RFID makes it difficult to be "overserved" as well.
ows_151439377063830.jpg

Kman101

I've never even set foot in the bar and I know this makes no sense. It's cute seeing the defenders come out in full force with their labels and dismissive tone. Heaven forbid we want consistency with theme (heck I even said this looked nice, it's just the wrong place!). I put up with a lot of stuff I probably shouldn't accept (hi, Epcot) but they really can just slap anything anywhere and folks eat it up. I guess I'm really not surprised at this point. It's sad how any valid point gets brushed under the rug as "negative" or "hating change" ... it's not always so black and white

LittleBuford

I've never even set foot in the bar and I know this makes no sense. It's cute seeing the defenders come out in full force with their labels and dismissive tone. Heaven forbid we want consistency with theme (heck I even said this looked nice, it's just the wrong place!). I put up with a lot of stuff I probably shouldn't accept (hi, Epcot) but they really can just slap anything anywhere and folks eat it up. I guess I'm really not surprised at this point. It's sad how any valid point gets brushed under the rug as "negative" or "hating change" ... it's not always so black and white

Did anyone here defend it in the terms you describe? Other threads certainly demonstrate such tension, but things have been fairly good-natured in this particular discussion (unless I missed something).

Epcot82Guy

As a normal defender of all things thematic consistency, I'll hold out judgment on this one until we see more concept art. I'm really (OK... really, really, really) hoping this is more in messaging than actual result. Mizner's was a favorite place of mine at WDW. But, it was getting a bit tired - especially for the flagship resort's main "bar/lounge". I get the "must have characters" mandate, but I also see things like Disney Springs and the other higher end pieces, and I feel like that cheapens it to drive the character angle. On the other hand, if the release had said: "Mizner's will be reimagined into a grand, beautiful space fitting for a Grand Floridian resort. From a dramatic central bar, cozy library and beautiful garden and terrace room, guests will now have a variety of locations to enjoy wonderful cocktails and relax with friends and family. The decor will transport you to a whimsical space that is both modern and timeless, with touches inspired by one of our favorite Tales as old as Time." It would have sent up red flags, but not felt as forced.

Surprisingly, I thought Yacht Club almost went TOO understated. Their rooms are quite nice, but I wanted one iconic piece - like the white sailor mickey lamps - to be that little Disney touch. When characters are used in a subtle, restrained way, it makes it feel special and unique. I think the lighting in the concept art has that. It doesn't scream BatB unless you really think about it. If the library becomes BOG: the Bar, that's a different "beast" entirely.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom