News Mizner's Lounge to be expanded at Disney's Grand Floridan Resort into a Beauty and the Beast inspired lounge

Bocabear

Expanded seating and a real Mizner themed lounge would be amazing...Though honestly if they were going for a true Addison Mizner look, it would end up being very reminiscent of the Hollywood Tower Hotel... Which is actiually not a bad thing at all...quite the contrary...A richly themed Gentlemen's Bar (open to all) would be the perfect style and a great prelude to V&A...

71jason

I'm beginning to think this is a spoof/hoax/April 1st joke that landed a week too early. A 140-seater lounge is double the size of any other resort lounge at Disney (Trade Sam's capacity is 50). The article talks of an external terrace, but Mizners is on the second floor and the nearby balcony (whilst very nice) is only about the size of my living room. Plus, as everyone has said, the theme is totally wrong.

As the original source--used to post here years ago, still pop in on occasion to read Martin's posts and see if the Spirit ever returned--it's not a joke. I wish it were. Construction starts in 2 weeks.

I want to say current Mizner's capacity is around 65; they'll be adding a huge bar in the men's store plus half the hallway and the one balcony, so doubling that not too hard. Already two widely spaced large tables on the patio--make it four smaller tables, that's 16 seats. (Grog Grotto horrible for comparisons, lack of exits limits its capacity from what it could be.) Yeah, it's a lot of seats, but I assume they're overcompensating for previous failures to build capacity in Grand Villas and Grog Grotto. But when there's a convention or more than one wedding, I see every one of those seats being full.

Bocabear

If they were just using the set design and did not include B&TB Characters it would not be bad...But Addison Mizner was known for his m,editerranean style homes and buildings...

Less like this...
More like this

Kman101

If they were just using the set design and did not include B&TB Characters it would not be bad...But Addison Mizner was known for his m,editerranean style homes and buildings...
View attachment 359399
Less like this...
More like this
View attachment 359401

Um, that's a total fit (sarcasm) :joyfull: WDI Executive: THOSE PICTURES ARE EXACTLY THE SAME WE SHOULD DO THIS! GUESTS WILL LOVE IT. IT WILL BE THE NEW TRADER SAMS.

EVERYONE ELSE: Nope. Hard pass.

Kman101

This does not make any sense at all. The GF has always had some upscale class. Having it be 'B&TB' lowers the total theme of the GF. Should be one place where there are no children. This lounge is not a pub.

It really makes no sense except from the mind of an executive who decided this. "More Disney, more family friendly, more timeless" yet totally doesn't fit the theme of the resort. I mean, remember when we scratched our heads on a Snow White dinner. I feel like they said "hold my beer" .... I feel like this is someone from the cruise line who knows you can "theme" anything and it will fit in. A Tangled restaurant on the ship? SURE! But that doesn't mean Tangled fits, say, the Contemporary ... just because it's "Disney" doesn't mean it can be shoved anywhere and "oh it fits" ... nope nope nope.

I think this could end up looking beautiful (depending on the length of the decorating and theming they do). But it's going in the wrong resort.

christine7257

As the original source--used to post here years ago, still pop in on occasion to read Martin's posts and see if the Spirit ever returned--it's not a joke. I wish it were. Construction starts in 2 weeks.

I want to say current Mizner's capacity is around 65; they'll be adding a huge bar in the men's store plus half the hallway and the one balcony, so doubling that not too hard. Already two widely spaced large tables on the patio--make it four smaller tables, that's 16 seats. (Grog Grotto horrible for comparisons, lack of exits limits its capacity from what it could be.) Yeah, it's a lot of seats, but I assume they're overcompensating for previous failures to build capacity in Grand Villas and Grog Grotto. But when there's a convention or more than one wedding, I see every one of those seats being full.
You got quite the scoop! :) Any sense of how “heavy” the theming will be? Are they trying to make it more “family friendly”? Are the cast members excited about this or scratching their heads like many of us are? I’m excited about expansion... just really nervous about changes to one of my favorite spots.

Bocabear

perhaps the B&TB themed library interior is being done to upsell the fancy tea parties by day in a beautifully themed cinematic interior which would then convert to the Mizner Lounge in the evening... It would make it more sellable to have a more interesting interior than the Garden View Lounge.

jt04

perhaps the B&TB themed library interior is being done to upsell the fancy tea parties by day in a beautifully themed cinematic interior which would then convert to the Mizner Lounge in the evening... It would make it more sellable to have a more interesting interior than the Garden View Lounge.

Thanks for typing this. My thoughts exactly.

Bocabear

Even the Library angle is weird.

I mean it’s been a while since I’ve been to the library, but I don’t remember people doing shots there.
The Mizner Lounge isn't really a bar you would go and do shots...thought I suppose you could...
Most old hotels had small reading rooms or libraries for the guests use...and idea which seams foreign to us, but at one time was more common to go find a book to read before bed... The idea of a victorian beach hotel having a library bar works...
I would suspect if there are any characters or anything overtly B&TB it would only be used during the off hours when Mizner's lounge is closed... Or I would hope anyway...lol

Kman101

Good to see you again!

I have no doubts they'll fill the seats. But it seems incredibly out of place. Does no one on this project understand it? I guess bottom line matters more ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom