Mission Space needs more

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
For a space attraction at Epcot I am pretty disappointed in Mission Space. Its a space pavilion, it should offer more for the family like a slow moving ride and a walk thru interactive space center. Just like the land pavilion where it has many features to offer wouldn't you think a space center would?

AEfx

M:S as it stands today was originally designed as the Pre-Show for the actual Space Pavilion. Unfortunately, of course, the budget and scope was slashed so we got the pre-show instead of the attraction.

There are some good articles on it out there, I'm sure someone can give some links.

BTW, I agree - I think it's a terrible ride (the video screens are awful and blurry to my eyes), and Space should be a central theme in Future World but it feels more like an afterthought than anything else.

Thrill Seeker

I like Mission: SPACE, but it needs a heavy duty refurb. It's nearing it's 10th birthday and it definitely looks a bit dated now. I'd say update the video screens, maybe throw in different missions ala Star Tours. Also, update the Advanced Training Lab to make it a bit more interesting than two super out of date video games and a McDonald's playground.

JIMINYCR

For a space attraction at Epcot I am pretty disappointed in Mission Space. Its a space pavilion, it should offer more for the family like a slow moving ride and a walk thru interactive space center. Just like the land pavilion where it has many features to offer wouldn't you think a space center would?

As a space buff/ amateur astronomer, I was excited when the first talks began about building Mission Space. On our first visit I liked seeing the moon buggy and mock up of the space wheel. But I was disappointed that there wasn't more to highlight the history of our astronauts and their missions. But I guess if you wanted to see that stuff you would make the trip over to Kennedy Space Center, which we did. Gary Sinese does a fantastic job setting the theme up for the ride. We ride the intense ride multiple times.

Cmdr_Crimson

And to think it was based on a movie that they don't want to admit it was.. No creativity and hollywood steps in..:brick:
212560.1020.A.jpg

Prototype82

As much as I'd love a planetarium or something, I wouldn't count on that ever happening. I'd like to see something done about Universe of Comedy or Imagination first.

jtizzle1023

I am a big fan of Mission:SPACE. But I have been thinking, since the ride is a simulator, why not do something like Star Tours 2. Have multiple missions to different planets and it could be random everytime. Its not hard to do it, you change the videos and thats about it. I think it would make more people go on the ride and add to future world

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I am a big fan of Mission:SPACE. But I have been thinking, since the ride is a simulator, why not do something like Star Tours 2. Have multiple missions to different planets and it could be random everytime. Its not hard to do it, you change the videos and thats about it. I think it would make more people go on the ride and add to future world

It's not a simulator. It's a centrifuge. Each pod gets the same amount of g at the same time.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
It's not a simulator. It's a centrifuge. Each pod gets the same amount of g at the same time.

True, there's 4 centrifuges...they could have 2 centrifuges with one mission (green and orange) and 2 centrifuges with a different mission (green and orange)

:cool:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
True, there's 4 centrifuges...they could have 2 centrifuges with one mission (green and orange) and 2 centrifuges with a different mission (green and orange)

:cool:
Yep, but each chamber would run the same program. Not very variable or interactive.

jtizzle1023

I know, but I'm saying that every time you get on the centrifuge the story is different. Each of the "capsules" are telling the same storyline but lets say maybe the next group getting on that centrifuge goes to a different planet... IDK if thats clear haha

George Lucas on a Bench

I don't know if the ride could ever be seriously improved unless they went with an entirely new concept.

For the record, this ride has perhaps the worst pre-show in all of WDW after you've seen it once. It goes on forever.

RedFurredCadet

And would it not hurt to expand not just to a base on Mars according to the story, but probably takes a tour through the rest of the solar system. How about through Saturn's rings?

SeaBase86

I'm in the minority of this thread, I like Mission: Space. It's the first ride I hit at Epcot. IMO I believe the ride needs a little touch up, but other than that I'm fine with the ride.

surfsupdon

Remember 10 years ago when it opened and the message board world was telling us it was Disney's first "F-Ticket" ride??! How incredible the pre show was??! Then the ride itself being amazing??!

And there were a slew of new usernames "ISTC.... MS.... "

What a fad M:S was when it first opened....seems to have seriously cooled off over a decade. Whereas Tower, Splash, Space, Everest, Pirates, and Mansion are all going strong with positivity and loads of fans who ride several times each trip.

Yeah, MS has lots of fans, but it isn't quite what everyone originally thought ten years ago when it opened. Just based on the above posts talking about changing the concept up, and making it more "to date."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom