Mission Space Month of opening?

WDW/SFOG_freak

Original Poster
When is mission space to open in 2003? I will hopfully be going on May 28 to WDW, and was wondering if it will be open by then, or not.

AndyMagic

Almost everything points to no. Cast Members begin to transfer over to Mission: SPACE in mid May so I would think they would need more time even for a soft opening. However, I suppose there is a slight chance that everything goes smoothly and they want to test the ride on guests in late May. Perhaps a pre-soft-opening?

ToTBellHop

I honestly would not bet on a soft opening until late June or early July. They need time to train the first batch of workers before they could start limited soft openings. Keep in mind, according to Marty Sklar, only two of the four centrifuges are now complete, and it's taken about two months to build and complete those two, so figure on another two months before they can start letting guests ride on a limited basis, and then slowly increase the volume of guests who can ride leading up to the grand opening in August, most likely. "Late summer" grand opening, according to Marty Sklar.

jmarc63

Got a question on soft openings, I work in retail and the way we do a soft open is we compleate the store with all the fixtures and merchandising and we try to hit a fimly set date, then we just open and since were in high traffic areas we will get walkins with no advertising, then a few weeks later we will flood the media with advertising and and promotions to draw costomers, with that said how do you do a soft open with out all the current guests interested in M:S packing the queues like a regular opening or is the diffrence is the fanefair with respect to opening a new attraction

CTXRover

Originally posted by jmarc63
Got a question on soft openings, I work in retail and the way we do a soft open is we compleate the store with all the fixtures and merchandising and we try to hit a fimly set date, then we just open and since were in high traffic areas we will get walkins with no advertising, then a few weeks later we will flood the media with advertising and and promotions to draw costomers, with that said how do you do a soft open with out all the current guests interested in M:S packing the queues like a regular opening or is the diffrence is the fanefair with respect to opening a new attraction

I know when I was at the "soft opening" for Test Track and Primeval whirl it was open like any normal day. However, they let us know it was a soft opening. Thus, you can get in line, but at any moment they can shut the whole thing down and there is no guarentee you will ever get to ride it (even if you wait 1-2 hours and you're the next one and they shut it down). So basically everything is there, but there is no guarentee it will work (I think) :)

triparkal

Originally posted by WDW/SFOG_freak
When is mission space to open in 2003? I will hopfully be going on May 28 to WDW, and was wondering if it will be open by then, or not.

A cast member i work with who is being transfered to misson space was breaking the news to us yesterday and told us it'll be open "june-ish"
that long talked about 4th of july opening date dosen't sound so far off now does it?
-john v

ToTBellHop

Re: Re: Mission Space Month of opening?

Originally posted by triparkal
A cast member i work with who is being transfered to misson space was breaking the news to us yesterday and told us it'll be open "june-ish"
that long talked about 4th of july opening date dosen't sound so far off now does it?
-john v
Hah! I was right! Oh ye of little faith. I knew Disney was planning to have this attraction open for the bulk of the summer crowd, and all that has happened in the past few weeks has suggested the same.

imagineersrock

oh man, i just got a not-so-happy update; despite what i had assumed about the supposed july 4th opening date, apparently on one of our local tv show's here in tampa (who was being shot live from disney today and tomorrow) they had a preview of M:S, along with an interview of a disney spokesperson who claimed M:S would not be opening until FALL! -with all the current info we've been receiving, i would assume this wrong, but why on earth would they promote a major attraction and say it wouldnt be opening until late this year if it would actually open within a month or two???
-i dont know what to think anymore...? (keep in mind, no one expected test track to open like 3 years late!) *ok that might be a little exaggerated, but you know where i'm going with this...:brick:

ToTBellHop

I don't really buy that considering all that has happened, along with the fact that the first Mission: SPACE pin just went on sale, and Marty Sklar already said it is opening late summer. Furthermore, with the last group of cast members showing up in mid July, I find it hard to believe they would train through the fall--considering two of the centrifuges are still open. My assumption is that because not official date has been assigned, they give the conservative date at the point--kinda like how they released park hours for May that were not nearly as good as they are now. A spokesperson would say fall in case something does happen. And it could just mean the official opening won't be until September or so, while soft openings will start this summer. Perhaps they want a very extended period of soft openings for this attraction, which I would not blame them for. Kali River Rapids had two months of soft openings (I rode it in February of 1999, and it "opened" in late April), so I could see more with this attraction. Generally, when Cast Members are told June/July while prospective guests are told "fall", that would just have to do with soft openings. Remember soft openings are not announced. They don't want people hoarding the ride.

Mr D

Well I am in the process of booking 18 days at a vacation home rental from Dec 1-18, and I bet it opens in early December, soft opening one month before Thanksgiving.

Everybody wants it now,(LOL) TT had delays of two years with closures, OTOH M;S could soft open say June even, I would listen to the news of when NASA re-starts the shuttle program and expect Disney to respectfully follow suit.

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by Mr D
Well I am in the process of booking 18 days at a vacation home rental from Dec 1-18, and I bet it opens in early December, soft opening one month before Thanksgiving.

Everybody wants it now,(LOL) TT had delays of two years with closures, OTOH M;S could soft open say June even, I would listen to the news of when NASA re-starts the shuttle program and expect Disney to respectfully follow suit.

I don't think Disney has to necessarily worry about tact any more. It's been a few months since Columbia exploded, and the nation isn't really in shock over that any more. That may be sad, but we seem to have moved onto Iraq, so I think Disney is safe to open SPACE whenever they want.

Mr D

Well look into what Superstar Limo was supposed to be, it was changed out of respect of Princess DI, and the ride never recovered from its "alteration", Florida is NASA country, too easy to start animosity in that area, TWISTER was delayed over at the other park because of respect for those killed from a local storm, I think it should open later this year.

Besides the fact its a rumor from Screamscape that its pushed up to December. But soft openings could happen soon, the advertised opening will be much much later.

Originally posted by Mr D
Florida is NASA country

You're right. I also think that, psychologically, the opening of M:S would be a huge boost to Florida and hopefully renew interest in the space program. When this ride opens, it is inevitably going to be successful. My next proposed trip is in 2004, so I know it'll be open by then.......won't it? :lookaroun

WEDINDISNEY

I was just checking out a few other Disney sites and they are all saying that Disney is claiming that its opening day is Aug 15 2003. <sniff sniff sniff> I really thought that it would have been open at least by the middle of the July (summer crowds) Oh well Guess we will have to book another trip down there again. :D

foxfire

According to Themeparks.com, 8/15 is the soft-opening, with the "official" opening sometime in Oct. I rode TT during it's soft opening period (geez, that lasted forever, should still be going on with all the breakdowns =b).

Anyhow, assuming the S.O. is 8/15, what's usually the best time of day to catch the ride? Right @ the opening of the park, or later in the day?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom