Mission Space: Are the Ride Capsules Monitored?

Disney2002

Original Poster
Does anyone know if the ride capsules are monitored by audio/video at same main location. Personally, if I black out and become limp, I'd like to know that someone spots it and can e-stop the ride.

Anyone know?

BenS

I assume that the cameras used to film the commercials and famous people riding are still there, so they're probably used for security/safety purposes.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by BenS
I assume that the cameras used to film the commercials and famous people riding are still there, so they're probably used for security/safety purposes.

I doubt those cameras are still there... they were mounted for just that... testing the ride and getting peoples reactions, and shooting promo video.

If they are still there... sorry... just taking a stab in the dark here :wave:

But they may have smaller cams mounted somewhere in the Ride Capsules(?) *shrug*

Anyone else know more? :confused:

Centrifugeer

There are no cameras in the capsules for monitoring purposes or otherwise. The ones used for the commercial were specially mounted in the capsule for that reason.

There are cameras in the ride room but those are used for the automatic intrusion system to ensure there are no obstacles, human or otherwise, in the ride room before the centrifuge begins to spin. If you glance along the wall before you enter a capsule you can see a plastic dome or maybe two. The cameras are inside those domes.

Basically, the cameras are one of many automatic safety features of M: S that people don't realize are even there. Disney's good at hiding things.

Disney2002

Original Poster
Originally posted by Centrifugeer
There are no cameras in the capsules for monitoring purposes or otherwise. The ones used for the commercial were specially mounted in the capsule for that reason.

There are cameras in the ride room but those are used for the automatic intrusion system to ensure there are no obstacles, human or otherwise, in the ride room before the centrifuge begins to spin. If you glance along the wall before you enter a capsule you can see a plastic dome or maybe two. The cameras are inside those domes.

Basically, the cameras are one of many automatic safety features of M: S that people don't realize are even there. Disney's good at hiding things.

I just can't believe Disney wouldn't have cameras in every capsule. With all of the potential for problems during the course of several minutes of intense ride experiences -- time in which some serious health issue could manifest itself from ride conditions -- every second would count in an e-stop.

Atta83

Thats crazy that they woulndt have a camera in there..but there is a button to punch to stop your capsul right???

Disney2002

Original Poster
Originally posted by Atta83
Thats crazy that they woulndt have a camera in there..but there is a button to punch to stop your capsul right???

If there are no cameras, I hope there is a rider self-stop button. Anyone?

se8472

nope, that button would be pressed every 5 minutes if they did and no one would have any fun.

Really when you think about it ride like space or splash don't have any...you got to ride it out.

Centrifugeer

Originally posted by Disney2002
I just can't believe Disney wouldn't have cameras in every capsule. With all of the potential for problems during the course of several minutes of intense ride experiences -- time in which some serious health issue could manifest itself from ride conditions -- every second would count in an e-stop.

It's one of the reasons why there are so many warnings along the way about M: S being an intense ride. AFAIK there have been no major issues along that area since the ride opened to the public. Supposedly during the testing of M: S an older guy didn't divulge that he had a pacemaker, rode M: S, then an ambulance was called when he began having heart palpitations after the ride was over. Once he was stabilized at the hospital, he mentioned to the doctor that he wanted to ride M: S again sometime. Take that as a rumor and/or Disney folklore though. ;)

And I forgot, there are also cameras mounted along the lower part of the center area of the centrifuge. If you look carefully between the doors of the capsule before you enter one you can see them within the domes, just like along the walls. Infrared sensors are used as well. They are small, white plastic devices with little LEDs that are also part of the intrusion system. Like the cameras they are mounted on the perimeter and around the center of the centrifuge.

yensidtlaw1969

I got on the line for Mission Space, but when I saw the capsules I decided that there was not enough leg room for my liking:hammer: so I chickened out, but I seriously doubt that they would have a rider stop button, seeing as, some people are extremely rude and always want to ruin a good time for others, and since not knowing where it was would serve no purpose, they might announce where they are and obnoxious people would keep stopping the ride.

Disney2002

Original Poster
Originally posted by Centrifugeer
It's one of the reasons why there are so many warnings along the way about M: S being an intense ride. AFAIK there have been no major issues along that area since the ride opened to the public. Supposedly during the testing of M: S an older guy didn't divulge that he had a pacemaker, rode M: S, then an ambulance was called when he began having heart palpitations after the ride was over. Once he was stabilized at the hospital, he mentioned to the doctor that he wanted to ride M: S again sometime. Take that as a rumor and/or Disney folklore though. ;)

And I forgot, there are also cameras mounted along the lower part of the center area of the centrifuge. If you look carefully between the doors of the capsule before you enter one you can see them within the domes, just like along the walls. Infrared sensors are used as well. They are small, white plastic devices with little LEDs that are also part of the intrusion system. Like the cameras they are mounted on the perimeter and around the center of the centrifuge.

Anyone know how many RPM the cetrifuges reach.... or what the diameter of the spinning circle is?

Testtrack321

Anyone know how many RPM the cetrifuges reach.... or what the diameter of the spinning circle is?

22ish mph, and a radius of about 30 feet. Also, the max Gs is 2-2.5.

Centrifugeer

Testtrack321 already hit the others, but the max rpm's, iirc, is around 17-18, which is what it hits during liftoff.

Centrifugeer

2.5 doesn't seem that bad seeing as Nitro at six flags pulls 5.
Nitro pulls 5 G's only momentariily though. Mission: Space pulls those G's for a more sustained period, though it's still only for about 8+ seconds or so during the launch sequence (where the maximum G's occur). Lesser sustained G sequences happen during the Space Station/Earth/Moon flyby and during Mars decent.

Testtrack321

2.5 doesn't seem that bad seeing as Nitro at six flags pulls 5.

And falling into your couch after a long weekday pulls around 9. 2.5 is sustained, and on your back too, so it feels like more. Overall, if you can handle Nitro, you can handle M:S.

DisneySaint

If they monitored you or they had an emergency stop button, it would ruin the ride for almost every time for the rest of the guests. Consider a merry-go-round. If someone hit a kill switch there, EVERYONE on the ride would suffer for it. Likewise at MS, people are in capsules of 4 which spin around a central turner. I'm sure many guests have tried to kick out the door while they are on it, though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom