Mission Space 2.0 wishlist

HMF

Original Poster
I am not sure whether to put this in news & Rumors or General Discussion but with the recent wonderful Test Track Refurb and Hewlett-Packard's contract up for re-negotiation in the near future what would you folks like to see in a hypothetical upgraded and expanded Mission Space, Pavilion?
No bring back Horizons requests please. Thanks to Eddie Sotto for igniting the idea for this thread.

Animaniac93-98

A graphics upgrade to start, since CGI tech has come a long way since 2003, 3-D perhaps? Maybe randomized scenes like Star Tours (for each spinner chamber)? Better interactive features and more stuff to do after the ride would also be good.

Tom Morrow

A graphics upgrade to start, since CGI tech has come a long way since 2003, 3-D perhaps? Maybe randomized scenes like Star Tours (for each spinner chamber)? Better interactive features and more stuff to do after the ride would also be good.
Definitely these things, plus:

- maybe give your team a grade based on how many of the commands you complete. It would give you more of a reason to want to do them.
- make the narrative a little clearer so people stop thinking that you "actually" go to Mars.
- Produce a "green" version that is worthy of being it's own ride. The current version has such sparse capsule movement because its exactly the same movements the orange side does, minus the spinning and g-forces that make Orange side feel like you're actually moving. For example, you are often just sitting upright (since the centrifuge is supposed to be spinning) when the capsule could be tilted back to enhance the sensation of movement.
- theme the exit hallway.

MerlinTheGoat

I'm not a big fan of simulators personally. I'd like to see another ride added entirely (you don't have to do away with the sim, just add an additional ride to the pavilion). I'm a big fan of anything with detailed physical sets and animatronic figures, it would be nice to have a Space-themed ride that encompasses those elements. Damn shame Carl Sagan isn't still with us, he'd be a fantastic narrator for such an attraction... Though perhaps they could edit in some of his stock dialog and make it work.

Randy Savage, great map concept maker that he is, proposed in one of his Epcot buildout plans that Mission Space and the now empty Wonders of Life Pavilion be combined into one single building complex to create a Space pavilion with several attractions. That would allow a ride that I want plenty of room to house it in I'd imagine.

New Horizons can take over the Universe of Energy building anyways. :p *hides from angry mob*

The Empress Lilly

1 - Move M:S to TL in the MK, as the natural successor to Mission to the Moon / Mars.
2 - A more engaging storyline. For one, I'd like to go to Mars 'for real'.
3 - Interactive controls with actual consequence. A ride without interactivity is great. A ride with interactivity is great too. A ride pretending to have interactivity, but which hasn't, is not. Let those buttons and joysticks do something, even if only switching on a light, blowing a fan, or making a sound. Preferably, let the fulfillment or not of our tasks have an on-screen consequence.

4 - On select random rides, let the screen show Space Invaders instead. Put the centrifuge on maximum. Do not let out the terrified guests until they've fended off the fifth wave of Invaders.
5 - install a breaking wheel for the people responsible for the closing of Horizons.

Admiral01

Premium Member
Full simulation of STS launch through ET sep.

You can ride that ride at the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex. For those who haven't been out there, it is a lot of fun, especially when the Space Shuttle Atlantis exibit is done in 2013. The Shuttle Launch Experience simulator is great fun, and Kennedy is a short drive from WDW.

RSoxNo1

You need to have different iterations of the ride. I understand that the motion of the individual capsules cannot vary from capsule to capsule but there certainly can be better options using the existing ride system.

The Mighty Tim

The way out needs something to look at as you leave. Grey hallways don't do it for me.

I also like the idea of randomisation a la Star Tours somebody mentioned above.

copcarguyp71

I'd hope to see Imagination or Energy fixed first.

As usual Martin hits the nail on the head. But...speaking hypothetically:

-Randomized missions similar to Star Tours
-Actual responsibilities for each position that effect the outcome of the scenario with switches that work.
-Longer ride time (if possible without ridiculous queue times) even 30-45 seconds can mean a big difference in the enjoyment.
-Something less sterile than the hallway leading from the furthest centrifuge to the exit area....kind of a long boring walk.

LorangeJuice

1 - Move M:S to TL in the MK, as the natural successor to Mission to the Moon / Mars.

I've always thought the same thing! It does seem natural to have it over there, doesn't it?! I've always thought of MK as an adventure park and Epcot as an inspirational park. I want the large-scale, quality, heart-and-soul attractions back a Epcot! Nothing wrong with short bursts of adventure, but leave them for the more appropriately themed areas of the property.

When is HP's sponsorship set to expire? I'm assuming it was a 10 year deal (2003-2013).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom