Missing riding a Roller Coaster, Mineshaft Coaster at Big Bear Lake opening this weekend

Stevek

I just got a heads up that the Magic Mountain Recreation Area in Big Bear Lake (nothing to do with the Six Flags one) will be opening its gravity coaster this weekend.

We have a place up there, right around the corner, and have been watching them build it for the past few months. It looks absolutely amazing. Should be a great hit with the visitors especially.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
We have a place up there, right around the corner, and have been watching them build it for the past few months. It looks absolutely amazing. Should be a great hit with the visitors especially.

And just $20 per ride. (Includes chair lift ride, so 2 for 1!!!)

Stevek

I've ridden that a few times, always feel like I'm going to flip or go over the side. Good fun.

The new ride looks pretty cool. Runs to the left of the slide (from the downhill riders perspective) and through some trees. A good downhill run and some nice big turns before ending up at the bottom of the hill near the park entry/parking lot.

DavidDL

The wife and I have our first anniversary coming up and have been missing the parks dearly but haven't felt like braving the case numbers/folks in general down in Florida. This looks like a perfect middle ground for us to look into. I haven't been up there since I was a kid. Thank you for sharing it!

cmwade77

The wife and I have our first anniversary coming up and have been missing the parks dearly but haven't felt like braving the case numbers/folks in general down in Florida. This looks like a perfect middle ground for us to look into. I haven't been up there since I was a kid. Thank you for sharing it!
Try Silver Dollar City or Dollywood, particularly during the week. There are enough people there to make it enjoyable, but not so many that you feel it unsafe.

DavidDL

Try Silver Dollar City or Dollywood, particularly during the week. There are enough people there to make it enjoyable, but not so many that you feel it unsafe.

Someday, maybe. But we're SoCal based so getting on a plane is a big no-no right now for us.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Lisa and I have booked The Lodge at Big Bear, opted to rent a Premium Crossover vehicle, and have cash to buy Mineshaft Coaster tickets this weekend.

Some outdoor dining, and a few other State approved activities

But with all that has happened to our family, Lisa needs to take a break from things, even if just for a weekend.

Besides, Sunday is National Roller Coaster Day!

Last edited:

DavidDL

Lisa and I have booked The Lodge at Big Bear, opted to rent a Premium Crossover vehicle, and have cash to buy Mineshaft Coaster tickets this weekend.

Some outdoor dining, and a few other State approved activities

But with all that has happened to our family, Lisa needs to take a break from things, even if just for a weekend.

Besides, Sunday is National Roller Coaster Day!

Share how it goes! My wife and I had our one year anniversary this past weekend and had originally planned to visit Big Bear but ultimately decided against it after doing some research on Big Bear-local webpages/forums/etc. It sounds like an insane amount of people have had similar ideas on the weekends in an attempt to "get away from it all" during COVID and it's resulting in an overly crowded, tourist filled town on weekends and long waits to get up the mountain. Toss in the locals not being a fan of us "flat-landers" swarming the place and the area's seemingly anti-mask mindset and we just felt it wasn't worth the risk. But I'd like to know how much your experience differs from the experiences I've seen and heard about online over the past few weeks!

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Good morning from Big Bear.

Got a late start yesterday, due to a lot of issues, but got here about 9 PM last night.

About to go find breakfast, relax, then off to Alpine Slide at Magic Mountain.

Last night, when we drove by, you could see the last section of Mineshaft Coaster from the Street.

So will let folks know our true opinions of the ride, and the entire complex. Even planning to play Mini Golf today!

Best thing, the high is on supposed to be 85 today.

Have a great day, and if in SoCal, stay cool!

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Found a good writeup while having breakfast.

>>The much-anticipated Mineshaft Coaster at Alpine Slide in Big Bear is expected to start rolling this month, featuring two 100-foot tunnels and a mile-long track.

First ride of its kind in California, Mineshaft Coaster is on track (pun intended) to open Friday, July 17, taking riders down six-tube stainless steel tracks aboard gravity-propelled carts they control, just like on the Alpine Slide bobsleds. Carts hit speeds up to 27 mph going through steep descents, dips, twists, hairpin turns and more.

Riders cross three 200-foot bridges during their journey on Mineshaft Coaster, with three complete 360° corkscrews. Mineshaft Coaster, open year-round at Alpine Slide, has two up tracks on a motorized bullwheel pulley system, including a long one out of a new start house built at the bottom, and two down tracks. The whole ride is elevated above the ground, at times two dozen feet up, really giving riders a sense of speed.

Each cart accommodates up to two riders secured by multipoint safety belts. Rider in back controls the cart’s braking mechanism and is required to keep at least 80 feet from the cart in front. But Mineshaft Coaster is equipped with a computer controlled, fail-safe magnetic braking system that automatically applies brakes if a rider gets too close to another. Plus carts are equipped with speed governor and centrifugal brake to control top speed.

Carts feature specially designed, lockable seat belts and shoulder restraints to assure proper ride speed and rider comfort at all times. Plus have energy absorbing front and rear buffers. Front rider must be at least 38” tall and three years old, while rear pilot 54” and age 18 or older. Carts handle up to 375 lbs. combined weight in dry conditions.

The track traverses Alpine Slide’s entire property and through forest above. The two rock-lined tunnels will be decorated to look like mines and were carved out below Alpine Slide’s cement track. Rides last between 7-9 minutes, depending on driver speed.

Coaster tracks are popular in Europe and are popping up in ski resort towns including Jackson Hole, Steamboat, Bogus Basin and Heavenly’s Nevada side. Plus entertainment hub Branson, MO. Construction began on Mineshaft Coaster in early January.

Ride tickets are $20, children $10. High-tech videos with camera captures from throughout the ride are available for purchase.<<

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
So came around Noon, and hard rain, thunder and lighting had everything closed.

Came back at 5 PM, and it just reopened. What a great ride, tandem with Lisa. Didn't use the sled brakes at all. Three lift hills, some trim brakes, but on a couple of turns, tested the under set of wheels, since we were close to maximum weight.

Going again as singles.

And of course tomorrow for National Coaster Day!

More later, but just wanted to say that both Lisa and I give it a big thumbs up.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster

>>More than 200 of the 729 U.S. coasters in the Roller Coaster Database won’t be operating on National Roller Coaster Day at closed amusement parks in California, New York, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Michigan, North Carolina, New Jersey, Virginia, Massachusetts, Maryland, Minnesota and Colorado.<<

Took the train from the bay area to Colorado with my kids last month. We spent one day in Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park in Glenwood Springs. They have one of those alpine coasters, and it was a blast. Since my kids weren't big enough to go on their own, I'd get to go twice in a row with a kid swap. They have a few other rides. I expected we'd only stay a couple hours, but stayed almost the entire time they were open.

The park is up on a mountain, and you have to take a gondola up to it. It got real windy a few times and they shut down the gondolas, so even if you wanted to, you couldn't leave.

They're closed now due to a fire close by, but if you got some time to kill and want to do a few rides, it's a nice place. Beautiful scenery too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom