Minor Attraction Enchantments

Sharon&Susan

Original Poster
When talking about post-opening changes, most people within this community tend to gravitate towards the big “plussings” such as the JC extensions over the years, the HBG, and so on. But what are some of your favorite enchantments that aren’t discussed often? My favorite has to be the Bayou man in POTC, he was added sometime within the 70’s. He is so much of a natural addition and adds so much to the atmosphere, most people wouldn’t know that he was added years after PoTC opened.

Last edited:

britain

When talking about post-opening changes, most people within this community tend to gravitate towards the big “plussings” such as the JC extensions over the years, the HBG, and so on. But what are some of your favorite enchantments that aren’t discussed often? My favorite has to be the Bayou man in POTC, he was added sometime within the 70’s. He is so much of a natural addiction and adds so much to the atmosphere, most people wouldn’t know that he was added years after PoTC opened.

Didn't know that!

(I think you want to fix that 'addiction' typo.)

mickEblu

When talking about post-opening changes, most people within this community tend to gravitate towards the big “plussings” such as the JC extensions over the years, the HBG, and so on. But what are some of your favorite enchantments that aren’t discussed often? My favorite has to be the Bayou man in POTC, he was added sometime within the 70’s. He is so much of a natural addition and adds so much to the atmosphere, most people wouldn’t know that he was added years after PoTC opened.

He wasn’t always there? Mind blown.

Sharon&Susan

Original Poster
Old Bill was also a later addition with this piece of concept art specifically noting that he was a new character for the MK version (that was added to the DL version some time after).
768660A5-AA17-495F-B3D4-EA40EB4F21B8.png

George Lucas on a Bench

Was the hat box ghost really a major addition? I don't see it as being any different than adding those various robots and things to Pirates of the Caribbean. It was just hyped by the internet even though many people didn't know of its existence until recent years because of the internet.

My favorite would have to be the ghost fruit in the Haunted Mansion. I've heard conflicting stories that it was either meant to be a thing or not, they just started shining a light on the fruit bowl. Either way, it's a thing that was not seen for an extremely long time at DL and never in any other version of the ride.

Last edited:

Rich T

When they enhanced the "scattering embers" effect on Mr. Toad's break-apart fireplace. It really helps.

When Toad re-opened in 1983, the fireplace featured a projection-on mist effect. The idea was that it would look like you were driving through a fire. It never worked right for the public; the cars were too closely spaced to allow time for the mist to form any kind of image, and all it did was make the loading area super humid. They eventually replaced it with the scrim that's there now, and the new sizzling embers sound effect and lighting setup is a great, effective touch.

Note: The 1983 Peter Pan re-opening tried the same mist effect with the waterfall doors at the end. Never worked. Replaced with a solid projection surface.

wityblack

I loved that 2014 update to Alice in Wonderland. The screen-based elements were all very natural and elegant when added to the ride, without taking away the charm it already had. Although, what ever happened to the 2 million dollar Queen of Hearts animatronic? Fingers crossed we get the same treatment to the rest of the Fantasyland Five. I know we got minor projection updates to Snow White in the past, and that 2015 Peter Pan refurb, but that one felt a little lacking.

D.Silentu

The 1997 refurbishment of Pirates did actually bring two positive enhancements. The coins held by the skeleton in the treasure cave were given fiber optics, so they appeared to glitter. I also was immensely fond of the skeletons added to the final ascent; a fitting bookend for the ride. Neither of these survived the 2006 refurbishment.

mickEblu

The 1997 refurbishment of Pirates did actually bring two positive enhancements. The coins held by the skeleton in the treasure cave were given fiber optics, so they appeared to glitter. I also was immensely fond of the skeletons added to the final ascent; a fitting bookend for the ride. Neither of these survived the 2006 refurbishment.

Hmmm I don’t remember the skeletons. I remember the 2 pirates trying to push the treasure up the hill though.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I wonder how these changes would have been perceived if the internet was available back then. WHY ARE THEY ADDING MORE DRUNKS TO THE POTC? THIS IS SHAMEFUL AND RUINS THE RIDE.

YOU'RE KIDDING, RIGHT? THIS IS PLUSSING THE RIDE AND DISNEYLAND IS NOT A MUSEUM.
They would probably be as welcomed as the new skeleton that turns back into a pirate in the net and octopus they recently added which are great additions. Something that adds to the experience without taking away anything from the original experience will always be welcomed on any attraction no matter the decade, wheras something that takes away from what was there before i.e. jack sparrow, the new red head and new auction scene, will always be considered bad ideas since we lost something we loved. A bad idea is never welcomed no matter the decade my good sir.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Little Mermaid got some very minor additions after opening (and was rumored to receive more). It was mostly lighting changes, but it made a big difference.
it got a new ariel at one point or they changed her hair, I can't remember which. but one ariel AA did not look right for the under the sea portion of the ride and they did something to change it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom