mine ride for BIG PEOPLE..

Steve Johnston

5'11" and 320 and my first ride on this ride was painful to the point that I started to feel paniced towards the end of the ride. I am a 'fat all over' guy which means I have large legs. I wasn't thinking and grabbed the lap bar and pulled it back firmly. My legs fit but the bar pinched my legs and as the ride started my body settled and wanted to slide forward a bit which really increased the pressure on the outside of my legs. It really hurt. I spent the whole ride trying to slide back or shift my legs to relieve the discomfort. Probably looked like I was trying to climb out the whole ride.

My kids wanted to ride again and wouldn't go without me so I rode again. This time I didn't pull the bar back as far. Was still uncomfortable but was able to enjoy the ride.

I guess my advice is to be very careful when pulling the lap bar back.

For me, I wouldn't ride it again 'for myself'. I would ride so we were together as a family.

This is the only ride that I had trouble with at any of the WD Parks. Kids and I did Everest 7 times in a row at animal kingdom and I loved it. The kids did the 8th ride without me cause I was getting light headed :) Also love Rocking Roller Coaster, first time I have been upside down on a ride in a LOONG time.

IWant2GoNow

I rode this for the first time in October and I'm only 5' 7", 175 and I still complained a bit about the comfortability. I can only imagine for those larger than I how tight this ride may feel. I hope Disney is working on a more relaxed fit train for this ride for the near future.

Steve Johnston

Dude , chill pill. I read the thread, but I did not see anywhere where someone suggested that if you are careful when pulling back the lap bar that you may be able to prevent your self discomfort. Yes it's an old thread but it is also still relevant.

If you're referring specifically to me digging up the Space Mointain quote, yeah, then maybe it didn't need to be mentioned again.

Sped2424

Dude , chill pill. I read the thread, but I did not see anywhere where someone suggested that if you are careful when pulling back the lap bar that you may be able to prevent your self discomfort. Yes it's an old thread but it is also still relevant.

If you're referring specifically to me digging up the Space Mointain quote, yeah, then maybe it didn't need to be mentioned again.
tumblr_inline_njywl5tnPl1ribe1l.gif

Donald Razorduck

I'm a 6'2, 290 big boned, size 15 nike wearing ex football player of the collegiate kind. My waist size is a 40 but I have a massive chest and over the shoulder restraints are my kryptonite when it comes to coasters. I have zero issue with Big thunder, Space, Everest, even Barnstormer. That said, the leg portion of the restraint of SDMT are insanely restrictive and tight for no good reason. The only thing I can come up with without going back and reading all this thread is it is made to let smaller children ride. Why this ride doesn't have the restraint come down between your legs(T BAR) like most new coasters, even inverting ones with over the shoulder restraints like my local park, SDC has for Outlaw Run is beyond me, especially considering how tame the SDMT is. I rode a Gerstlauer compact Euro Fighter called Iron Shark at the Galveston Pleasure Pier last summer and it was only lap bar only, a ride with inversions and a beyond 90 degree drop. The SDMT bar is a huge design flaw that I'm sure was a product of overthinking for allowing smaller children and the insurance implications.

Other than that, the ride needed another 10 to 15 seconds of roller coaster action.

Last edited:

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
I'm a 6'2, 290 big boned, size 15 nike wwaering ex football player of the collegiate kind. My waist size is a 40 but I have a massive ches and over the shoulder restraints are my kryptonite. I have zero issue with Big thunder, Space, Everest, even Barnstormer. That said, the leg portion of the restraint of SDMT are insanely restrictive and tight for no good reason. The only thing I can come up with without going back and reading all this thread is it is made to let smaller children ride. Why this ride doesn't have the restraint come down between your legs like most new coasters, even inverting ones with over the shoulder restraints like my local park, SDC has for Outlaw Run is beyond me, especially considering how tame the SDMT is. I rode a Gerstlauer compact Euro Fighter called Iron Shark at the Galveston Pleasure Pier last summer and it was only lap bar only, a ride with inversions and a beyond 90 degree drop. The SDMT bar is a huge design flaw that I'm sure was a product of overthinking for allowing smaller children and the insurance implications.

Other than that, the ride needed another 10 to 15 seconds of roller coaster action.
This scares me. I'm 6'3 240 and have bad knees on top of that. Dang it!

Victor Kelly

The seats can be small for bigger or heavier people. Even then some can ride, others cannot. The cars are small and fairly snug even for me and I am only 5'10 and 175.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I'm 9'7", 734 pounds and fit OK after I threw all the tiny, munchkin humans out of the train so I would have room to stretch out. The CM didn't want to let the train go, but I threatened to destroy the whole area if I didn't get a ride and they relented. I did find the 13 elephant tranquilizers they shot me with as I exited a bit off putting and I hope that isn't part of the normal ride experience.

Last edited:

bjlc57

Original Poster
well some people are a bit off topic.. being that its almost a year, I wonder if Disney has DONE ANYTHING, to let you know of the 'squeesh" factor.. and again.. I would wonder to this day if I could have done " one click of the safety bar.. or if there is a better place for a guy like me to sit.. My whole intention was to help everyone here be aware that its just a narrow safety bar.. the seats themselves weren't bad.. but in retrospect, the safety bar is the culprit..

dedeldm

Lots of conflicting stories :( I guess since people the same size have different experiences it's based on where your weight is. So... Is it all about how large your legs are or how far your tummy sticks out?? Also, any experience here on Kali since they've changed to the individual seat belts? Going next week. I'm a women's size 24, about 28o and 5'6". Help! ;)) first trip and hoping to ride everything with my kids.

dedeldm

Some might consider me Pooh-sized, or even Baloo-sized after a Dole Whip or two. I'm 5'6", 310lbs (hey...I'm workin' on it). So when I went to WDW last week, I had some concerns about my fit on the 7DMT.

After riding it 6 times (the first 2 times within a few hours of eating at Whispering Canyon Cafe), I can say that it wasn't an issue for me. The seats themselves weren't as bad as some have made them out to be on this forum and the bar, although a bit unforgiving on the width, wasn't that much of a problem. I was able to pull it back fine over my large-ish legs.

Of course, different bodies are shaped differently, so YMMV. I can just say that I had no trouble and wasn't terribly uncomfortable during any part of the ride.

dedeldm

Thanks for sharing! I weigh 280 but all my weight is around my belly do you think I'll be okay on mine train? What about Kali River Rapids

bjlc57

Original Poster
has anyone found out if there is a cart outside to see if you fit? or a copy of the ride vehicle? or even just the safety bar? something so that you can test your self to see if YOU FIT?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom