Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run - Ride/Queue Details and Discussion

Joesixtoe

Rode it tonight.. I was engineer and yet it was still an awesome ride. Just everything from the queue, the building, atmosphere, walking around the millennium falcon, and then going into the cockpit for the first time... also the ride itself with the sense that your in the hanger waiting to take off, then just yeah flying around is very cool, I cant wait for a more star wars type of mission and atmosphere that you fly through.. but all in all what a E ticket ride... It was definitely better than I had thought it was going to be.

Stripes

The queue is incredible, but I do have to say that the announcements are quite lame and too "Disney-fied". In fact the whole ride feels tonally off from all the new films and feels like the jokey approach to Star Wars they promised they were going to move away from after acquiring Lucasfilm. Compare this to Flight of Passage, which takes a much sillier concept to try to get people to take seriously and never once feels hokey or childish.
I was reading a D23 piece on the Smuggler's Run queue they said that some of the voices are intended to be quite dumb, or something to that effect, in order to give an idea as to "what sort of operation Hondo is running here."

Tom Morrow

I wasn't exactly inspecting it to see if the characters were CGI or not, but it certainly didn't occur to me that Chewie or Hondo were CGI.
Hondo, no. Chewie, I thought, was CGI. Maybe the monitors he was on just looked weird.

I was reading a D23 piece on the Smuggler's Run queue they said that some of the voices are intended to be quite dumb, or something to that effect, in order to give an idea as to "what sort of operation Hondo is running here."
I get that, but they're dumb in a bad way. It doesn't sound like realistic comm chatter, it;s mostly on-the-nose conversations between the two characters for the purpose of spoonfeeding exposition (also why are they having conversations over the PA?). One of them has the incompetent character, I think, describe a Porg that he sees. He attempts to pet it and it bites him. :rolleyes: It's a lot of stuff like that.

I suppose tonally, this is about the same as Star Tours. The new films walk a fine line between being campy/humorous and real/gritty, so I found it a bit jarring for Smuggler's Run to take on such a lighthearted, childish tone. I hope Rise of the Resistance is more serious. It seems like it will be and perhaps Smuggler's Run is lighthearted to balance them out.

Last edited:

PorterRedkey

Original Poster
Another no-touch run...

I don’t think you should be able to get the first coaxium unit, if you aren’t touching the controls.

This video makes it looks like you can’t really control that much as a pilot. You jump regardless like M:S

Engineer seem get the short end as they are really only trying to score points (that don’t matter). The special weapon looks like it fires regardless of their input.

When this ride was announced I was hoping for two ride paths or at least 2 different ending. A “fork in the road” where to could pick your path would have been nice. I hope the other mission will include this. If they ever debut at all (I’m looking at you TSM overlays).

Of course I’ll not know my true opinion of SR, until I visit next month. After all of the reviews and videos, I’ll be going in with my expectations in check.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Sometimes controls and buttons are needed to trigger an action, and if you don't do anything, nothing happens (including avoiding crashing into things).

Sometimes controls and buttons aren't needed to trigger an action, but, you got to press them when prompted (they light up) to get credit for doing what was going to happen anyway. And that's literally get credit, galactic credits.

PorterRedkey

Original Poster
Sometimes controls and buttons are needed to trigger an action, and if you don't do anything, nothing happens (including avoiding crashing into things).

Sometimes controls and buttons aren't needed to trigger an action, but, you got to press them when prompted (they light up) to get credit for doing what was going to happen anyway. And that's literally get credit, galactic credits.
Yep. It could be so much more. The degree of motion that pilots control doesn’t seem to be anything more than where the ship is on the screen. By that I mean you can’t steer the Falcon to the far left/right and see different landscapes. You can only steer to the left/right side or top/bottom of the scene on screen. You really only avoid obstacles on the path you’re given.

I know this is much more than a video game, but the video game component isn't really much fun. Sure you don’t want to make an expert level game, but mix it up a little bit. At least with Star Tours you never know which planets you will get. SR is the same every time. I guess the rerideability is supposed to come from changing your cockpit position. The really need to add the new missions when RotR opens (at least in Disneyland).

I wonder if the credits will ever mean anything more than a new badge on the Disney Play app. Doubt it.

ProjectXBlog

has anyone figured out the point of the red window in the first garage area with the hanging engine? we’ve had it at DLR and it always looks like there’s supposed to be an animated silhouette or something there

Last edited:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I wouldn't have minded a "retrofitted" vehicle with controls in front of each seat perhaps so you weren't looking at the panels and not where you're going, especially bad as an engineer

tissandtully

So I rode this twice on Saturday. I think it's a fun ride, definitely not the E-ticket like RotR is going to be. I do think there needs to be some tweaking though on how it works.

I feel like there needs to be a way for people to opt-in to the interactivity, do you like waiting 2 hours to ride something and then just constantly crashing into things cause a 4-year-old is pilot? Me either. There should be a way for things to be done automatically. I can see down the road there being separate experiences, kind of like Mission: Space does with Orange and Green. One side can do a "simulated run" while others can do a more "expert run" where everything is controlled manually.

I had a man and woman in front of us who came up the FP+ ramp before the Hondo room load and specifically ask not to ride with any children, guessing their first ride was pretty terrible? The CMs seemed to understand completely. Although, she would've been fine riding with my 7-year-old who was great at this.

Only other thing about this attraction that is kinda weird is the mix of real-life and more cartoony bits. The Hondo and Chewie scenes are all real-life, while the ride is very much animated and cartoony, it would've been great to be more realistic like Star Tours. Overall, this is a great diversion until RotR opens and hopefully the wait times will hover around an hour or less, cause that's prob what it's worth. The rest of the land is amazing, especially all the stuff on the Data Pad. We had so much fun hacking droids and panels.

Each to their own, but I went on this two weeks ago and it was as much fun as I've had on any ride. Massive Star Wars fan, I co-piloted it with my best friend and we laughed and thrilled to it from beginning to end. It'll never be as good as the first time you ride it, but that first time - I'll never forget it. Although as others have said, it's pilot or go-home. That's where it's at.

Makes such a difference if your crew are really into it too. We had a couple of near misses on our first ride that were tremendous - everyone really excited.

I'm not saying it's one of the best rides I've ever been on, but it was awesome fun. The jump to lightspeed if you're a huge fan is gold.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom