Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run - Ride/Queue Details and Discussion

PJBuckeye

In the Parks
Yes
Also, the guy handing out cards is flexible if you want pilot. The third time through my son hadn't piloted yet. I just asked to wait one group, and he let my kids pilot it.

RETLAW

Been on it 2 times, and I am not thrilled about this ride. Star Tours is a far better ride. The ride feels rushed, the graphics almost feel like they were done by an new intern. The concept is great, but the actual ride is far from it. I have no desire to ride it again.

I was talking to some other AP holders and everyone feels the same way. Avatar was done much better, and so was HP@USO.

Next Big Thing

Was able to sneak in 11 rides yesterday, mostly due to the ease of Single Rider. I haven't even been on FoP that many times in 2+ years. I still don't quite know what to make of the ride. If you're a pilot, it's exhilarating, Gunner is pretty lame and I had fun on my many rides as an Engineer.

I can see how someone could like Star Tours better than this, although the two rides are different most notable with how ST is a Passive experience and SR puts you in control and your actions actually have consequences. I appreciated the ride, but I think RotR will blow the pants off of SR.

RSoxNo1

Was able to sneak in 11 rides yesterday, mostly due to the ease of Single Rider. I haven't even been on FoP that many times in 2+ years. I still don't quite know what to make of the ride. If you're a pilot, it's exhilarating, Gunner is pretty lame and I had fun on my many rides as an Engineer.

I can see how someone could like Star Tours better than this, although the two rides are different most notable with how ST is a Passive experience and SR puts you in control and your actions actually have consequences. I appreciated the ride, but I think RotR will blow the pants off of SR.
I think the move for pilot is to turn off auto mode so at least you have the high/medium/low aiming.

Tom Morrow

Got to ride twice tonight, on my first visit. First time, not gonna lie, I kinda hated it. The team was not into it at all and it didn't feel like much. Also I think we had some technical issues and some elements were missing. The second time I liked it a bit more, it helped that my crew was into it. I wish the visuals were a little better but they don't seem to even match Star Tours (understandable because this is interactive). Lots of people complain that its bad if you have a bad pilot, or are not the pilot, but the influence you have on the ride is more minimal than it seems. This will be more apparent on a second ride. You will still complete the mission regardless of how you do.

The queue is incredible, but I do have to say that the announcements are quite lame and too "Disney-fied". In fact the whole ride feels tonally off from all the new films and feels like the jokey approach to Star Wars they promised they were going to move away from after acquiring Lucasfilm. Compare this to Flight of Passage, which takes a much sillier concept to try to get people to take seriously and never once feels hokey or childish.

So overall I'm not entirely sold on the ride experience, but I appreciate that they tried something very different.

durangojim

This was a great ride! My daughter and I were pilots and y wife and son were gunners. It was awesome! I just wished we had had more time inside the falcon to explore before going into the cockpit. Also for our first ride without reading spoilers we earned about 6000 credits. Not too bad in my opinion! Also my 11 y/o daughter got to launch the falcon into hyperspace which was fantastic!

rsm

Sounds like the ride would benefit if the first 30-45 seconds were the "training time" where the ship takes off in autopilot and Hondo's voice prompts you to familiarize yourself with your station ("To automate your station push the blue flashing button"). The ship sortof just hovers for 30 seconds and the voice tells you to test out your controls and everyone can do so without having to worry about running into things.

Tom Morrow

Sounds like the ride would benefit if the first 30-45 seconds were the "training time" where the ship takes off in autopilot and Hondo's voice prompts you to familiarize yourself with your station ("To automate your station push the blue flashing button"). The ship sortof just hovers for 30 seconds and the voice tells you to test out your controls and everyone can do so without having to worry about running into things.
They don't want you to be "good" at it. The fun comes from being thrown into piloting the Millennium Falcon with little instruction or explanation, being bad at it, and laughing about it with your team as you crash into stuff.

People also aren't grasping that it's way more automated than it seems. Your actions have much more impact than the buttons on Mission: Space, but you will still complete the mission every time, see the same events, and the computer still takes over if you don't do key maneuvers.

Expecting the experience to be like a video game that you can "master" if you beef up your skills is only going to lead to more disappointment.

rsm

I humbly disagree on your last point. The fact that they give you a “score” encourages that very thing - or at least attempts to. Especially since different parties are sharing a dinner table it would seem reasonable that if there is such a thing as “autopilot” people not be expected to have to read a forum post to understand how to activate the bloody thing that impacts the experience that they just waited in line for.

Tom Morrow

I humbly disagree on your last point. The fact that they give you a “score” encourages that very thing - or at least attempts to. Especially since different parties are sharing a dinner table it would seem reasonable that if there is such a thing as “autopilot” people not be expected to have to read a forum post to understand how to activate the bloody thing that impacts the experience that they just waited in line for.
The score is nice but as is, you can’t really “fail” - until they add new missions, you will see the exact same chain of events every time (unless you get the load delay stuff like the asteroid field). The only meaningful impact you have on the experience is how much you bounce around. The score is more like the score you get on your Test Track vehicle.

Rich Brownn

The score is nice but as is, you can’t really “fail” - until they add new missions, you will see the exact same chain of events every time (unless you get the load delay stuff like the asteroid field). The only meaningful impact you have on the experience is how much you bounce around. The score is more like the score you get on your Test Track vehicle.
I saw one video where they did so bad they owed credit at the end! I think that's a fail! LOL

Tom Morrow

I already posted my initial thoughts but I forgot one thing: it really bugs me that Chewie is CGI in the pre-show! Why is he?? They have movie-accurate Chewie costumes FOR the park! There's no excuse to use CGI.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom