Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run - Ride/Queue Details and Discussion

eddie104

Or, while I giddily admire the genius behind recent ride systems like Flight of Passage and Smuggler’s Run made possible by spectacularly inventive talent at WDI, I am also of the opinion that the quality of art direction coming out of Imagineering has taken a turn for the bland and literal, resulting in environments that are pleasant and impressive but lack style.

It can be both! :)
Not really because that doesn’t make any sense. Multiple teams work on different projects so depending on the talent on hand and the budget provided the quality is mixed.

180º

Not really because that doesn’t make any sense. Multiple teams work on different projects so depending on the talent on hand and the budget provided the quality is mixed.
Isn’t that basically what I said? That quality is mixed? That was my whole point. Imagineering is neither dead nor perfect. Your original post made it seem like it can only be one or the other.

drod1985

Looks like we’ve got some leaked shots of the docking door that leads you into the Falcon.

bshah365

Question: So will the "screens" behind Hondo have a day/night mode? How awkward would it be to ride at night and pass by the real windows, then into the pre-show where the screen shows its day time...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Question: So will the "screens" behind Hondo have a day/night mode? How awkward would it be to ride at night and pass by the real windows, then into the pre-show where the screen shows its day time...

I think that by the time we get to Hondo, we're supposed to be inside a huge hangar.

sedati

Looks like we’ve got some leaked shots of the docking door that leads you into the Falcon.

View attachment 357512View attachment 357513
Here's a pic I used last year to show this location (I'm assuming we enter cockpit side, though there is an identical ring on the opposite side as well. You can see the hexagon shape.

From an earlier preview showing off the docking port on the exterior version.

drod1985

I think that by the time we get to Hondo, we're supposed to be inside a huge hangar.

But during the Hondo portion there are screens that show the Falcon leaving it's parking spot outside and getting ready to dock so that we can board it.

So yeah, conceivably they'll need both day and night versions of that video. They'd be wise to have a Central Florida rainy afternoon version too. :)

tomast

But during the Hondo portion there are screens that show the Falcon leaving it's parking spot outside and getting ready to dock so that we can board it.

So yeah, conceivably they'll need both day and night versions of that video. They'd be wise to have a Central Florida rainy afternoon version too. :)
And maybe Hondo could say something of the Day/Night/Rain haha

JBIRDTO

Would they also then need to have day and night versions of the actual experience not just the pre-show video? I agree it would keep the story legit however I don't see them going to this level of time accuracy unfortunately.

Disney Maddux

Would they also then need to have day and night versions of the actual experience not just the pre-show video? I agree it would keep the story legit however I don't see them going to this level of time accuracy unfortunately.
It'd be like Soarin', where even if you're riding in the morning, the ending at Epcot will be the very end of the day with Illuminations starting.

PorterRedkey

Original Poster
So I doubt the current management would do this but....
IIRC, when Star Tours opened in DL the attraction was open for 60 hours straight.

Has anyone one heard if there could be something similar could be done at DL or DHS?

Maybe not 60 hours straight, but something more than the extended hours that the Pandora addition got when it first opened.

Epcot_Imagineer

Has anyone one heard if there could be something similar could be done at DL or DHS?

The only thing I've seen in regards to this is @marni1971 saying Operations wouldn't dream of keeping rides as complex as RotR or Smuggler's Run open for longer than they'd have to, due to their complexity. These rides will 100% need their attention from the third shift.

PorterRedkey

Original Poster
The only thing I've seen in regards to this is @marni1971 saying Operations wouldn't dream of keeping rides as complex as RotR or Smuggler's Run open for longer than they'd have to, due to their complexity. These rides will 100% need their attention from the third shift.
That makes sense. Star Tours was a lot less complex than anything we’re getting for Galaxy’s Edge. I was only hoping they would do this so it might not be so crazy on the 1st day.

hpyhnt 1000

That makes sense. Star Tours was a lot less complex than anything we’re getting for Galaxy’s Edge. I was only hoping they would do this so it might not be so crazy on the 1st day.

I imagine Star Tours also benefited from having individual simulators, allowing maintenance to take them off line in sequence for work while keeping the attraction open (albeit at reduced capacity). Flight of Passage does this when issues pop up in each theater, and Tower of Terror is getting refurbished one drop shaft at a time, too.

In theory, Disney could do something like that with Smuggler's Run, assuming the turntables are physically separated from each other. But I can't imagine Rise of the Resistance being partially shut down while remaining open to guests.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I imagine Star Tours also benefited from having individual simulators, allowing maintenance to take them off line in sequence for work while keeping the attraction open (albeit at reduced capacity). Flight of Passage does this when issues pop up in each theater, and Tower of Terror is getting refurbished one drop shaft at a time, too.

In theory, Disney could do something like that with Smuggler's Run, assuming the turntables are physically separated from each other. But I can't imagine Rise of the Resistance being partially shut down while remaining open to guests.

This is like what they are going to do with Tower of Terror during it's refurb, only shutting down one drop at a time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom