Trip Report MILESTONE TRIP! First Orlando Visit, Final Disney Park!

THE TIME HAS COME!

In just about a week, I will be starting my very first ever trip to Orlando…and all therein that may be explored.

As the title suggests, among other milestones, this trip will see me visiting my 12th and final Disney Park – Magic Kingdom itself! I have traveled extensively, with all the other Disney Destinations worldwide under my belt, yet somehow I have so far resisted the allures of the Vacation Kingdom. In this week days leading up to my departure, I’ll be going over “why not yet,” “why now,” my itinerary, maybe even soliciting some travel advice.

But for now…Who’s going?

7166D4BC-82E3-4FDB-981E-47ACE8702961.jpeg

Me after a hike at Bryce Canyon (the real Big Thunder). My beard is much calmer now.

Just me. Doug. Typically I’m a regular of the Imagineering forums, but I'm just a dilettante on these Trip Report boards. Traveling solo, as is my wont.

Where? Universal’s Endless Summer Resort for three nights, then the Walt Disney World Swan for like a week.

When? September 21st – October 1st.

The broadest plan is to see as much of Orlando as I can (both Disney and beyond) in the week+ prior to Magic Kingdom’s 50th. That means plans to see Walt Disney World, Universal, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, even the Fun Spots.

Over ambitious, perhaps? Sure it is, but I’ve done my research, and I know my travel style and what I'm capable of! Let’s do this!

Last edited:

D Hulk

Original Poster
0718A88F-59B3-4807-81EA-D698FD6D011D.jpeg

ONE UNIVERSAL DAY LATER…

We’ve reached the true “live” portion of the trip report, where there’s more to discuss and describe than there is time to do it. When I’ve returned home and recovered (in October), I’ll create such an in-depth report. But for now, how about simply a quick summary of each day with first impressions…

78A6EAD9-4F62-4700-A6B3-C6017D93A3C6.jpeg

Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit - Rough and forceless, not a good combo, plus an aggravating locker situation. A low point.

Lunch at Mel’s Dine-In - Serviceable diner grub, welcome as the first proper meal since leaving home.

5F756299-BC94-4CDD-954A-A8D9298135F4.jpeg

Transformers - Familiar to me from USH & USS. The projections and audio need touch up work, it’s not at its best presently.

Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon - What a silly idea for a ride, but in spite of itself I had a blast on it.

Revenge of the Mummy - Superior to Hollywood’s, inferior to Singapore’s.

7448D37B-B5C8-4E07-8092-BA0C43E04BAE.jpeg

ET Adventure - A campy “Fantasyland dark ride” throwback. Glad I caught it, not sure of its future. I rode wholly solo, and cackled my brains out!

Men in Black Alien Attack - Could this be the best shooter dark ride? It has definite personality. I’ll need to do it some more and form a stronger opinion.

6F4C9194-390C-4B28-890C-32F2EBA01D63.jpeg

Escape from Gringott’s - Diagon Alley is a high point of themed place-making, as it’s reputation suggests. The ride is interesting, but neither fish nor fowl in how it fuses coasters with storytelling.

08738E7F-0821-4667-B90B-77FBAFCBD108.jpeg

Fast & Furious Supercharged - I know objectively this is terrible, and a clone of the Studio Tour’s dumbest scene, but still I genuinely enjoyed it. The cast members were hysterical, and I’m a sucker for this franchise.

The Studios closed at six (HHN?), so I had two hours before IOA’s closing.

The Cat in the Hat - Pretty okay, but elevated by a car of drunken ironic teens.

High in the Sky Trolley - A nice rest. IOA is so cluttered with details!

A909D855-32FA-49E9-A439-05EE185EE32E.jpeg

Velocicoaster - #210! I AM DEEPLY IN LOVE!!! Would be shocked if another ride in Florida even approaches how glorious this was!

Hagrid’s Supercharged - The best family coaster I’ve done!

5A55C00C-6765-457D-8E0F-038647184818.jpeg

With IOA shuttering at 8, I had two hours before my Toothsome reservation. So I caught a $5 screening of the 1980 classic Friday the 13th. The audience laughed, applauded, and got into the spooky spirit of the endeavor.

89C261EB-922B-469B-A8BF-3F88608CF4A4.jpeg

At Toothsome now just polishing off some cocoa chicken wings, with half a house salad on its way. Then I finally test, for as long as I please. Tomorrow, I do it all over again!

Disney Dad 3000

View attachment 588431

ONE UNIVERSAL DAY LATER…

We’ve reached the true “live” portion of the trip report, where there’s more to discuss and describe than there is time to do it. When I’ve returned home and recovered (in October), I’ll create such an in-depth report. But for now, how about simply a quick summary of each day with first impressions…

View attachment 588434

Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit - Rough and forceless, not a good combo, plus an aggravating locker situation. A low point.

Lunch at Mel’s Dine-In - Serviceable diner grub, welcome as the first proper meal since leaving home.

View attachment 588435

Transformers - Familiar to me from USH & USS. The projections and audio need touch up work, it’s not at its best presently.

Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon - What a silly idea for a ride, but in spite of itself I had a blast on it.

Revenge of the Mummy - Superior to Hollywood’s, inferior to Singapore’s.

View attachment 588436

ET Adventure - A campy “Fantasyland dark ride” throwback. Glad I caught it, not sure of its future. I rode wholly solo, and cackled my brains out!

Men in Black Alien Attack - Could this be the best shooter dark ride? It has definite personality. I’ll need to do it some more and form a stronger opinion.

View attachment 588437

Escape from Gringott’s - Diagon Alley is a high point of themed place-making, as it’s reputation suggests. The ride is interesting, but neither fish nor fowl in how it fuses coasters with storytelling.

View attachment 588438

Fast & Furious Supercharged - I know objectively this is terrible, and a clone of the Studio Tour’s dumbest scene, but still I genuinely enjoyed it. The cast members were hysterical, and I’m a sucker for this franchise.

The Studios closed at six (HHN?), so I had two hours before IOA’s closing.

The Cat in the Hat - Pretty okay, but elevated by a car of drunken ironic teens.

High in the Sky Trolley - A nice rest. IOA is so cluttered with details!

View attachment 588439

Velocicoaster - #210! I AM DEEPLY IN LOVE!!! Would be shocked if another ride in Florida even approaches how glorious this was!

Hagrid’s Supercharged - The best family coaster I’ve done!

View attachment 588441

With IOA shuttering at 8, I had two hours before my Toothsome reservation. So I caught a $5 screening of the 1980 classic Friday the 13th. The audience laughed, applauded, and got into the spooky spirit of the endeavor.

View attachment 588440

At Toothsome now just polishing off some cocoa chicken wings, with half a house salad on its way. Then I finally test, for as long as I please. Tomorrow, I do it all over again!

Hopefully Penelope and Jacques are out during your meal.

That's awesome about VC. I was jazzed all morning after riding. If you get a chance for Hagrids at night, it gave it a whole new vibe/experience for me from our daytime ride.

D Hulk

Original Poster
57AEA22A-E6BC-4707-948C-853EFBB24B63.jpeg

DAY TWO UPDATE

Coming to you live from a bar in Citywalk. 🍺 There’s still an hour and a half to go before my Cowfish dinner reservation. Six PM is too early for Islands of Adventure to be closing! 😭

A quick rundown of the day’s shenanigans…

Slept in, relatively speaking…that is, I missed the early 7AM entry to Diagon Alley, even the 9AM IOA rope drop. Though I did saunter into IOA at 9:30, a Voodoo Donut in hand, which isn’t bad considering that’s only 6:30AM by my ongoing standards. And I didn’t force myself awake; I let myself sleep in and somehow that’s what happened.

DD825B7F-4D3B-4C29-8F7E-FB2AB1B7631D.jpeg

First up, my namesake, HULK! This is another fantastic coaster! It is possibly my 3rd favorite B&M, after their best flying coasters (Flying Dinosaur & Tatsu), mostly because I’m not a gigantic fan of their inverts and I haven’t done enough good hypers yet. Oh, and stand-up coasters are torture devices.

0446B67F-1035-4CDF-8041-BB81A6A6A2DB.jpeg

The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man - I greatly enjoyed this at USJ, in Japanese, and with substantially longer wait times. On reride, this is easily the best non-Disney dark ride I’ve done. Top to bottom exceptional.

Doctor Doom’s Fearfall - Basic generic drop tower. Meh.

Storm Force Accelatron - I didn’t bother with this one.
7CC35D35-7F04-4ACE-AC98-4C0C0533D7D4.jpeg

That kid is about to get drenched! HA HA HA! 😂

Popeye’s Bilge Rat Barge - A whole lotta fun! It absolutely flooded my entire torso.

Dudley Do Right’s Ripsaw Falls - The execution is lacking, thanks in part to awkward log seating, but still interesting. Finishing the job Popeye started, Dudley thoroughly bathed my undercarriage.

Skull Island - The cloned screen section from the Studio Tour is underwhelming, but everything surrounding it is lovingly made. A good supporting ride for a park which I am really fond of.

F326B5C4-C92F-4EA9-ADF9-D134D4578C66.jpeg

River Adventure - Always a classic! It could use a refresh (there are some empty spots and dead effects), but the overarching Jurassic Park land elevates it over the others I’ve done.

5561C0B1-A4C0-4E47-97BB-C84341BEB24F.jpeg

Did Velocicoaster again. Got back row (the best seat on 95% of coasters), rode alongside a tremendous coaster enthusiast whose 837 count utterly dwarfs my 214.

Forbidden Journey - I marathoned this 13 times during a soft opening at USH at home. It remains a jaw dropping dark ride achievement, but somehow the motion sickness factor hit me terribly here for the first time. Could be the humidity; I don’t mind USH’s & USJ’s. Didn’t enjoy it in Florida. 🤮

9503824C-0EA3-4A5F-A55C-72B398FB658C.jpeg

Flight of the Hippogriff - A standard Vekoma Junior Coaster. It’s a coaster credit. Feels redundant with Hagrid’s next door. Speaking of…

Did Hagrid’s again. Still good in daylight, not as good, even still it’s my #1 family coaster to date.

Did Velocicoaster again. The middle row is noticeably rougher than the back. Still gotta try the front.

1D96CF51-15A3-43D6-9B43-1B131773C7DE.jpeg

Lunch at Mythos - Among the best meals I’ve had in a theme park, and a welcome respite by this time in the day.

Hogwart’s Express to Studios - A perfect fusion of immersive design and operational functionality. Wish the load process were less tedious.

9B8A2BF6-1A89-4B00-9A40-DE7E527E10BF.jpeg

Woody Woodpecker’s Coaster Credit - An exact clone of a coaster model I’ve ridden at mini golf venues. I put way too much effort adding this to my count!

Rode ET again. Amazingly, though they said it was a 10 minute wait, it was nearer to 45 minutes, easily the longest wait of the day! Nearly everyone in line (all 20-somethings in terrifying serial murderer t-shirts) was killing time awaiting HHN, which explains the crowds.

These HHN pre-crowds are bonkers! Let’s take the Express back to IOA why not!

B1CAC338-59CF-4E5B-9939-DD5C291A01BA.jpeg

Sudden Florida-style rainstorms got in the way of my marathoning Velocicoaster for the final hour of operations. A pox on them! So rather I marathoned Spider-Man, with enough time after the rains cleared for one more rampage on Hulk before everything closed for the day. 😔

Tomorrow: An attempt at Studios early entry. Also HHN!​

Last edited:

Suchomimus

Doctor Doom’s Fearfall - Basic generic drop tower. Meh.
Would have no qualms of its teardown.
Skull Island - The cloned screen section from the Studio Tour is underwhelming, but everything surrounding it is lovingly made. A good supporting ride for a park which I am really fond of.
Would’ve made more sense as an EMV though. I don’t know why they made the vehicles long trucks.
F326B5C4-C92F-4EA9-ADF9-D134D4578C66.jpeg

River Adventure - Always a classic! It could use a refresh (there are some empty spots and dead effects), but the overarching Jurassic Park land elevates it over the others I’ve done.
When the inevitable happens, I would rather they not add in the Mosasaur and instead present us with an enclosed cave with the bioluminescent Paras from Camp Cretaceous.
741a70310ff39d769280b8e4cc0911d5.jpg

9503824C-0EA3-4A5F-A55C-72B398FB658C.jpeg

Flight of the Hippogriff - A standard Vekoma Junior Coaster. It’s a coaster credit. Feels redundant with Hagrid’s next door.
Hippogriff is okay but I don’t think younger kids would be able to do Hagrid’s (being too small and intimidated), so for what it’s worth, it serves its job fine.
Hogwart’s Express to Studios - A perfect fusion of immersive design and operational functionality. Wish the load process were less tedious.
It would also do the trains good if they were one; cleaner and not looking faded, and two; given a roof that covers the tracks in Hogsmeade Station (from the portal to the opposite wall.
9B8A2BF6-1A89-4B00-9A40-DE7E527E10BF.jpeg

Woody Woodpecker’s Coaster Credit - An exact clone of a coaster model I’ve ridden at mini golf venues. I put way too much effort adding this to my count!
Those venues actually sound interesting.

D Hulk

Original Poster
236CEAB7-301D-48FF-BFF9-6ACA4594F739.jpeg

DAY 3, MORNING REPORT

HHN is this evening, so here’s a little update now on the day’s voyages so far.

I somehow managed to wake up well before sunrise, which would be like 3 AM Pacific Standard Time, and I successfully made it to hotel guests’ early access at the Studios. Got into the Gringott’s queue precisely at 7 AM, and achieved FROTD (first ride of the day - a coaster enthusiast benchmark). From entrance to exit, with no wait at all except for pre-shows, it took only 18 minutes.

34E4AF00-8EBB-4FFC-8D7E-81D0A988F590.jpeg

Enjoyed a traditional English breakfast at The Leaky Cauldron, then explored Diagon Alley at my leisure.

When USF officially opened at 8, I rerode Mummy. After that, Transformers. Very happily, every one of my complaints from an earlier ride were fixed! The video and audio were crystal clear. Maybe someone from Uni read this?!

Half an hour into USF’s official hours, I exited. Marched over to IOA instead, to crack out a rope drop there. I followed around 90% of the rope drop crowds due right out of Port of Entry, then followed the 20% who targeted Velocicoaster. The rest made the Hagrid’s queue 45 minutes long almost instantly.

4EBB9CAE-3D9A-48AB-A171-F5C59E046F8A.jpeg

I marathoned Velocicoaster! Four rides in a row with near walk-on waits! All in under half an hour. Got to ride in every quadrant of the train. The front is good for views, the middle rattles, and the back is by far the best thrilling coaster experience. I’d’ve loved continuing, but exhaustion at last began to take effect. (I didn’t really sleep much last night.) So I crept back towards the park’s exit, stopping for another scoop on Spider-Man, leaving at 10 AM with crowds still arriving.

06FE25A9-4625-4892-8B3E-33EA1E982441.jpeg

Been chilling at the hotel for two hours now, which I gather is fairly SOP Orlando tourist behavior. (It’s stupidly loud here during the daytime.) I have a 1:30 table dining reservation at Lombard’s in the Studios, planned so I’m fed and recovered before HHN. Might go out a little sooner to reride MIB. After lunch, I hope to enjoy AC by catching a few shows (Bourne, Horror Makeup) before joining the Stay ‘n’ Scream corral within the park so I have a good starting point for the mazes.

Wish me luck!​

meggo819

I marathoned Velocicoaster! Four rides in a row with near walk-on waits! All in under half an hour. Got to ride in every quadrant of the train. The front is good for views, the middle rattles, and the back is by far the best thrilling coaster experience. I’d’ve loved continuing, but exhaustion at last began to take effect.
Impressive marathoning! And impressive use of a double contraction :)

Suchomimus

Traditional English breakfast, an elaboration:

View attachment 588731

A savory medley of baked beans, banger sausages, roast tomato, potato wedges, scrambled eggs, ham, and blood sausage (mmm).

This is a sign store breakfast at The Leaky Cauldron in Diagon Alley, though they also offer an “American Breakfast” and pancakes.
Had a dream about some products that involved baked beans and ham, as well as bacon. Lots of bacon. Like bacon wrapped in bacon.

D Hulk

Original Poster
539187CA-67E6-4A82-BFD2-6AC6D51FE2BB.jpeg

HALLOWEEN HORROR NIGHTS
EXTREMELY BRIEF RECAP

I have successfully completed 10 out of 10 houses, without the aid of Express Pass. Phew! 😴

There’s plenty more I could say about this event, and about the day leading up to it, but, well, I’m exhausted. That’ll have to wait until the in-depth report later on.

Tomorrow, something completely different: Animal Kingdom.​

Suchomimus

It would also do the trains good if they were one; cleaner and not looking faded, and two; given a roof that covers the tracks in Hogsmeade Station (from the portal to the opposite wall.
product.original.jpg

Though this station (Pickering) wasn't featured in any HP film, the railway that owns the station was, as the first film actually filmed the end scene first at Goathland station, and the roof was actually built and finished the same year of Diagon Alley's expansion. So if Universal had decided to make the Hogsmeade station roof based on that, it would not only provide a much needed second train shed but also act as an homage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom