Might need to rent a wheelchair

Mystic

After both x-rays and some bone scans, I found out from my doctor that I have stress fractures in my leg. I'm now waiting to get into a fracture clinic to find out what they're going to do to treat it so I'm not 100% sure yet if I'll be in a cast or not. My mom and I are scheduled to arrive at Disney on December 1. I'm thinking I'll most likely need to rent a wheelchair as I don't think my leg, even it it's not in a cast at the time, will be able to handle a full day of walking on it in the park, even if I can manage walking on it at the resort (either with or without my crutches). I'm looking at renting a standard wheelchair for the length of our stay, I'm not comfortable with renting an ECV, and I'm undecided about which company to rent one from. I'm looking for peoples opinions and experiences (both good and bad) with renting from Walker Mobility and Care Medical.

Thanks in advance

Mystic.

DisneyJoe

1 - have you ever used a wheelchair before? How is your upper body strength?

2 - why don't you want an ECV?

WDW is very large and very hilly, little hills can seem very large when in a wheelchair.

Upvote 0

Mystic

Original Poster
1 - have you ever used a wheelchair before? How is your upper body strength?

2 - why don't you want an ECV?

WDW is very large and very hilly, little hills can seem very large when in a wheelchair.

I've not used a wheelchair before but I don't want to be tied to the ECV all the time. Also I want the ability to be able to take the boats if possible and the standard wheelchair collapses, much like a stroller, whereas the ECVs do not. I also don't know how comfortable I feel with having to drive them onto and off of the buses, having never had to do it before (my reversing is not that great even in a car). My mom is willing to push the wheelchair some of the time.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

If you think you will be able to handle walking at the resort, and don't want to use an ECV on the buses, just rent the ECV at each park.

Before you rent a wheelchair for the trip, see if you can rent or borrow one for a few hours and take a visit to the local shopping mall, and try using it yourself and then have your mom push it - and then realize that the mall is 10 times easier to use a wheelchair in than WDW is.

If you can find a place with hills, all the better.

Upvote 0

mamielynn

I actually just went through this so I wanted to let you know what I found worked best for me. I broke my ankle six weeks ago and had a trip planned with my mom, sisters, aunts, uncle and a cousin. Luckily my cousin was able to help me with pushing the wheelchair but I didn't realize until I was actually in the chair how much work it was to get around Disney. If you don't have someone that will be able to push you around the whole time and your upper body strength is not that great I would suggest you use the crutches at the resort and rent and ECV while at the parks. I know you said you weren't sure about getting an ECV on and off the bus but it really is not as bad as it seems but if it isn't something you think you would be comfortable doing that's really up to you. The price to rent the ECV at the parks everyday is not that bad at all compared to having to get yourself around or have some one push in the wheelchair. I found that while lots of people in my party were willing to push me it often made me feel dependent on them, the ECV gave me back control and they are just as mobile as a wheelchair. The person before me suggested you borrowing a wheelchair and going to the mall and trying to get yourself around that is a very good idea, also having just gotten off crutches they really take a lot out of you when you are first getting used to them so take your time and give yourself extra time to get around. I'm going to be very honest with you, my husband pushed me around Epcot less than two weeks ago and he was miserable and I could not have done it on my own. When I went on the first trip where I had plenty of people help push me it was okay cause they could trade off and idea of a wheelchair is great but you need to be realistic in how much you and your mom are going to be able to do getting you around in it. I completely understand your reasons behind wanting to do the wheelchair but having been through it please please consider the ECV at least while in the parks I promise it will be worth it.

Upvote 0

mousebymarriage

You don't need to pay to rent a wheelchair., Just go to the front desk at your resort (only on Disney property) and ask them for a wheelchair. They will give you one to use for the duration of your vacation and it is free of charge!

Upvote 0

dazzle_em55

My mom has knee problems and while she doesn't need help in all of the parks, the days when we go to Epcot and the MK she rents an ECV. It helps her get around and she parks it in the stroller parking so that she does not have to take it thought the lines with her (on some of the longer lines, she does take it with). She is completely independent then and can travel where ever she needs to. It is also not taking up space in out hotel room and we do not have to worry about lugging it up and down the buses.

For our family, renting and ECV is the best option!!!

Upvote 0

Susan Savia

My husband broke his ankle last January. He now has 13 screws and a plate in there. For short distances he gets around pretty good and uses a cane once in a while to help steady himself. We are planning our trip back to the World this coming February and I am contemplating his using a ECV for several days, especially the days we spend at Epcot since we tend to spend full days in that park. I am sure after all the walking a week long vacation entails that towards the end of our week he will be wearing down and so the ECV will come in very handy.

Upvote 0

dizzney

I have a bad knee and last summer rented the ECV when in Disneyland and it was great, this year I already reserved a rental with Care Medical, we're arriving new years eve and I doubt any ECV's will be available in EPcot and I know I cannot stand or walk for very long so I made the reservation. The ECV's are easy to use and make my family happy - I would hate to have them push me around

Upvote 0

beanbunny

Have you thought about borrowing a wheelchair from your local loan closet - usually from a senior center or volunteer ambulance. We did that for my dad & it worked out great. They had no problem with us "flying" it to Disney World - and even commented on how much they loved the Disney stickers we returned it with! :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom