Mickeys not so scary Halloween Party

Caromac

Original Poster
Is this really an event just for kids? I am a big kid and I know I would love it, but my partner isn't as big a kid as me and I'd like advice whether you think we would enjoy it? Is there a lot more going on in MK that its worth paying for? We have a 7 day hopper pass already. Im weighing up either the Halloween Party of Cirque de Soleil? Or is it a must we do both? Or do we not need to do either cause heck!...we're in Disney!!!

jayhawkmickey

My wife and I both enjoyed the MNSSHP in 2011. The parade was great and all the costumes were cute. A lot of adults dressed up as well. There were even people coming up to some dad dressed as Captain Hook asking to have their picture taken with him, hahaha awesome. Next time we will probably dress up and get some photo-pass shots together as Smee and Tink. I thought it was worth it and it's more time in the parks after dark to ride the rides while everyone is chasing their kids around looking for candy.

KCheatle

Definitely NOT just for kids. While there are a lot of kids there and a lot of "kid things" to do, it is just as much fun for adults! My DH and I have a blast at this event. We go with our kids, but we turn into big kids when we go with them - we'll be out there dancing with Woody and Jessie just as much as our 7 yo and 3 yo!

mitchk

Yes it's def. not just for kids. My wife and I went for years together. Then we had our daughter, and took her last year. She was only like 1 1/2, so she really didn't know what was going on, but we all had a great time. Like I said I have been going since 03, just me and the wife, and we were like big kids, my wife more so. We would always trick or treat, and leave the park with a big bag of candy!

Tom 55

Is this really an event just for kids? I am a big kid and I know I would love it, but my partner isn't as big a kid as me and I'd like advice whether you think we would enjoy it? Is there a lot more going on in MK that its worth paying for? We have a 7 day hopper pass already. Im weighing up either the Halloween Party of Cirque de Soleil? Or is it a must we do both? Or do we not need to do either cause heck!...we're in Disney!!!

I went to MNSSHP in 2009 and am going back next month. Our way to save a few $$ was to plan it as the first day of our vacation and not buy a park pass for that day. You can get into the MK at 4pm with the MNSSHP ticket. We do not get into POFQ till around noon so we are not missing much time at the parks. The last time we did this we did have a park pass and the party pass.

CtDisneyGuy33

We are going this year and can't wait. We are going nuts with the costumes, but we are dressing up and will be ready for our first party. I'm just praying that the weather holds up as I understand the Horseman doesn't ride if it rains..

JillC LI

No, it's also for kids at heart. For the price, you get most attractions, the Boo To You Parade led off by the Headless Horseman, HalloWishes, candy from trick-or-treating in various places, and special character meet-and-greets (for which the lines are usually huge). Our family dressed in coordinating costumes and had fun. I would recommend it. You can enter the MK at 4pm with your ticket even though the party starts at 7pm, so you can still get 8 hours in the MK. That means you might want to consider not purchasing a regular park ticket for that day, and just sleeping in and enjoying time at your resort.

As for Cirque do Soleil, I've seen about 7 different Cirque shows, and they were all wonderful, although I have not seen the one at Disney so I cannot comment on it specifically.

Last edited:

graphite1326

Well it's not just for kids. The parade is good the fireworks are great. We went on the paddle boat and they had a story teller and then the entertainment group that walks around Frontierland (can't remember the name right now). Get lots of candy (everyone). The rides that are normally open during EMH are running. BUT, I still don't think it was worth the price. My kids were small then and crashed early so we didn't stay very long, so I never went again. As an adult, I wouldn't go.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I would assume that all ages would have fun at this. My husband and I have been to the Christmas one a couple times and had fun. Have your costume ready for Halloween!

Susan Savia

Go! My son (27 yr old) and I went for the first time last year and had a ball. We plan to go back in 2014. It has fabulous fireworks, parades and trick or treating thru the park is fun not just for kids either! We thought it was well worth the money spent. We mainly skipped the rides except the Haunted Mansion as we figured we could do rides in the daytime hours but wanted to do the things that only the party would have.

Rogue21

This year will be my 4th MNSSHP. The trick or treating aspect isn't what draws me though; it's the characters (Headless Horseman and Madam Carlotta), costumes, parade and Hallowishes. Now, if only they would bring out Goliath . . . :inlove:

I've also seen about 7 different Cirque du Soliel shows and I would rank La Nouba as one of the best.

Both are "must see's" at some point. However, if you're going in the Fall, maybe MNSSHP would be a better bet. La Nouba is there year round.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Try a search; this was asked recently. You'll get some good answers. In short, its for everyone. If you can, don't miss one!

luv

Hard to say if someone else will like it. If you think you would, I bet you would. If you think you wouldn't, there is still a good chance that you would. :)

I post this in like every thread on the MNSSHP topic...

MNSSHP: luv's Not To Be Missed List... :)

(This is just my personal thing and not official in any way. Caveat emptor - and you didn't pay me, anyway, so you get what you get.:))

1. Headless Horseman - he rides before the parades and may be the highlight of the night. (Doesn't ride if the ground is wet and not safe for the horse.)

2. The Boo to You parade, which starts in Frontierland, goes to the hub and on down Main Street, is Disney's best parade, all year long. Try to get a good seat. By "good", I mean on the curb or at the rope. No one place is much better than any other, IMO. But it's more fun if you can see the Headless Horseman and parade stuff easily. Also, at the end, they hand out suckers to KIDS in the front, so a little extra bonus for your time and trouble invested in being up front and defending your spot. The 2012 parades were at 8:15 and 10:30.

3. Fireworks. The fireworks ("Hallowishes") themselves aren't all that amazing, but they're fun and the soundtrack is awesome.

4. The Haunted Mansion. The ride is the same, but there is a ghost who will chat with you as you enter the line and the staff are all decked out. Pretty cool.

5. The barbershop quartet. They're dressed for Halloween and sing Halloweeny songs. One of my favorite parts.

6. The Villains Mix n Mingle. The villains sing and dance on the castle stage and them come down for brief meet n greets. I don't go meet the Villains. If you want to do that, be up front and ready to book over to them when they come down. They don't stay long! But the show is good.

NEW THIS YEAR!! A new Celebrate The Magic (show projected on the castle before the fireworks) will be done. Per the Mickey Monitor, "the sneakiest and most infamous Disney villains will do their best to bring their creepiness to the towers and turrets." (I'm a little excited about this. :))

Trick-or-Treating - for kids and adults alike. They give you a small plastic bag when you enter. Wherever they hand out wristbands, they'll be handing out bags. They also sell a larger and more sturdy bag, if you want to get that. If your kid has a favorite pumpkin or something that they like to collect candy in, you can bring it. Lines get shorter later in the night. Sometimes there are candy trails - the one that begins in Fantasyland, back by Dumbo, and ends by Space Mountain is used more often than not...and it only runs one-way, so don't try to start it in Tomorrowland. Won't happen. :)

Meet & Greets - multiple character meet n greets (e.g. Seven Dwarfs! All together!) are set up around the park. My favorite is the one where you stand in a hitchhiking pose and they add the HM hitchhiking ghosts to it later. Jack Skellington and Sally (new in 2013) will be in Town Square. Phineas and Ferb (also new for 2013) will be on Main Street, before the parade. You can do M&Gs with characters wearing costumes, too. There are a bunch, but the lines do build, especially for the 7 Dwarfs. A lot of people start lining up for the dwarfs before the party begins.

Dance parties - for little kids (or anyone, really) - they're pretty loud, but the characters do a nice job with the kids. I generally avoid these, but the little kids are very cute, dancing with the characters. Monsters, Inc. characters will be on the stage in Tomorrowland, hosting a dance party

Souvenirs - party-specific stuff to buy, if you want something from the event, like a pin or whatever. People have posted that they run out of T-shirts early in the evening, so if you want one, you might want to get there early. (I personally think they are kind of ugly and wouldn't bother, but to each, his own. :)) There is no running out of pins! And no lack of selection on pins, either. If you like to buy pins, you can drop a bundle.

Tickets - MNSSHP is a "hard ticket" event. You will need a MNSSHP ticket to attend. (You do not need separate admission to the park.) The party is a park-wide event and your party ticket gives you access to all of it. I don't buy mine until the day of the party because I won't go in the rain. But if you put off buying a ticket until the day of the party, you risk having them sell out. It's a hard choice to make. Party dates and ticket prices can be found here: http://www.wdwmagic.com/events/mick...-scary-halloween-party-ticket-now-on-sale.htm

Passholder Advance Purchase Discounts for 2013:
-September 10, 13, 17, 20, 24, 27 - $56 adult, $51 children 3-9 (plus tax).
-September 29, October 3, 6, 10, 14, 17, 20, 22, 24 - $58 adult, $53 children 3-9 (plus tax.)
-If you have an AP that gives you free parking, it doesn't cover MNSSHP. So, be sure to get through the toll plaza before 7:00. If you don't, be prepared to pony up the dough, flyboy! ($15)

Wristbands - they'll give you one when you enter, if you enter around party time. Multiple places where you can pick one up if you've been in the park during the day - just give them your party ticket. You'll need to show your wristband periodically to the wristband police, who set up human blockades to prevent people who didn't pay for the party from being there. They even interrupted us while we were eating once and demanded to see our wristbands.

Maps - there are special park maps, just for the party. It lists the rides and places to eat that are open during the party, dance party and Trick-or-Treat locations...and has the all-important parade, villain show and fireworks times. They're cute, too. :) Pick one up! Whenever these maps come out, you will find the info here, so you can check it all out before you go, if you want. Last year's map: http://www.wdwmagic.com/events/mick...t-so-scary-halloween-party-guide-map-2012.htm

Weather - can be very hot (especially September or early October) or be cold (especially later in October.)

Costumes - No way to predict temps, so if you have costumes, try to make them adaptable to any temp. Because that's so easy, lol. :) Adults can dress up, too (but it isn't required. Some do, some don't. Whatever you choose, you won't feel out of place.) Some people go all out on their costumes and some are very funny, so it's entertaining to see them all. Disney frowns upon and may not let you wear masks that will obscure your vision, so leave those out. It is the only time of year that adults can go to the parks in Disney character costumes and many do. I don't know what the rule is on what time you can enter the park with your costume on, but have seen people in costumes as early as four or five o'clock. You can get spooky with the costumes, but not too gory.

Although the party begins at 7:00, they usually allow people with just a party ticket into the MK around 4:00.

If you all are into the horror part of Halloween, check out Halloween Horror Nights at Uni. Tons of fun...but not for children!

Have a great time!!!!

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I have been a few times and while it is a begging fest for cheap crappy sweets it is also a very good event. We will go next year, but having been to DL for the last two years I think Ill fel short changed by the HM.

Meredith

I think that MNSSHP is a MUST DO more than cirque sol le. It is definitely NOT JUST FOR KIDS the parade, fireworks, stage show, dance parties, and extra time in the park I think is worth the price. I also love the Christmas party.

Jo DeVil

MNSSHP is a must Circ you can buy a video and get the gist, has anyone mentioned the chocolate and candy!!!!
Dress up you won't regret it.

powlessfamily4

Nothing at Disney is just for kids. Here is my theory as to why..... kids need parents to pay for the Disney trip. Also, it would be illegal to allow minors to vacation alone. This is my insightful reasoning as to why nothing at Disney is just for kids. Apparently adults are needed. ;)

Whay can I say.... I have 34 days to go and I am getting giddy!! Bahahahaha

Tater tot

I'm a 44 year old kid and love the Halloween party. Last year there was an elderly couple, maybe early 80s and they were having a blast in the candy lines. They had never done it before and kept saying...this is so much fun...this is so much fun... So it's for all ages. Young and old.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom