Mickey's Halloween and Christmas parties?

jkl2000

Are those Mickey's Halloween and Christmas parties best to just avoid? My kids could live without them, so should I just treat those nights (the Halloween party probably since we're probably going in October) as nights the MK closes early, or is it worth paying for the party because the park is less crowded and attractions are still open?

MY 4 yo son might just be so distracted by the party decorations that he'd just want to look at them and not experience the attractions. Actually, are those Halloween decorations up all around that time, or are they brought out each night - guess that doesn't make sense.

So please clue me in on this - the unnoficial guide doesn't seem to mention them, or I'm missing it...

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
The party decorations are up during the day except for a few inflatable decorations that pop up on top of building etc. We like the Halloween Party -never been to the Xmas one.

They have a special parade, fireworks, villain's stage show, a couple dance parties, trick or treating, not seen as often characters plus most of the rides are open. They also have special magic picture spots set up where you can take your picture in front of the Haunted Mansion and ghosts will be in your picture.

We like to go our first night or on our AK day. Some families will buy one less day on their park tickets and relax at the pool during the day and head into MK in the evening. Your party ticket lets you in at 4:00 and the party starts officially at 7:00 so you can get 8 hours in the MK with your tickets.

Upvote 0

ThankstoMOM

We'll be down in early Oct this year, taking our DS for his 1st b-day and 1st visit, Its a great time to go. DW and I have done both. The decorations are up for the entire season(both halloween and x-mas),We enjoyed both parties but we loved the Halloween party! You get all dressed up,you get to go Trick or Treating, Boo To You parade is awesome,there are fun stage shows and of course the Villains dance party and Hallowishs fireworks. I wouldn't worry about the attractions and rides as much as I would want the kids to Trick or Treat and experience the special Halloween things, If your at the MK all day you can knock out the attractions/rides during the day and enjoy the party at night, well maybe sneak in a couple of rides. The Christmas party was fun too and with all the same type of specialty seasonal shows, The Osbourne Family lights at Hollywood Studios is a DO NOT MISS its amazing.

Upvote 0

JillC LI

Some families will buy one less day on their park tickets and relax at the pool during the day and head into MK in the evening. Your party ticket lets you in at 4:00 and the party starts officially at 7:00 so you can get 8 hours in the MK with your tickets.

This is exactly what we did for MNSSHP. We showed up at the park at 4pm, kept our costumes in a locker and changed into them at 7pm for the party, which we thoroughly enjoyed. I think the party gets more crowded as you get closer to Halloween. You can see almost all the decorations by day if you don't want to attend the party though.

On the other hand, when we visited WDW in early December last year, we decided not to attend MVMCP, and made sure that we visited the MK on a day when the party was not taking place so we wouldn't be kicked out early.

Upvote 0

luv

I wouldn't take a four year old. They're too little to keep them out as late as you need to for the party.

I am a big fan of MNSSHP, but not with a little one. I'd just skip it.

Upvote 0

jkl2000

Original Poster
Thanks, I was more just trying to figure out if the parade was going to be an obstacle or not. To me they seem like a big pain - I finally have the dates of my visit pretty well nailed down (Oct. 19-27), and because of that parade for every day that TouringPlans considers it a Best Day for the MK, that parade is running, except for one. So that's really the only evening we can spend in the MK, because it closes at 7pm every other day. I suppose we can head into the MK for the evening on a day when it's just a Neutral day, if we want to see Wishes more than once. I guess it'll be fine, but "special" parades like the Halloween and Christmas ought to be on just a couple of nights total, IMO. Who are these people for whom WDW isn't special enough already? :)

Upvote 0

93boomer

Premium Member
If you have the extra money and want to go to the MNSSHP then go. It is so much fun!! Your son will have a blast. Just pace yourself and leave if he gets too tired. You're down there to have fun anyway.

Upvote 0

jkl2000

Original Poster
What I was trying to figure out is if the cost for the party was worth it to have access to the attractions for those hours - probably not, really.

I can pretty much guarantee that my kids wouldn't be wearing costumes (aside from maybe mouse ears!) but I'm sure they'd enjoy trick or treating in WDW. What's so much fun about the Halloween Party? I can't seem to find a good description of it.

We'll see how it goes with my son. At home he's rarely asleep before 9pm these days, and he doesn't nap. We definitely plan to be spending some down time at the resort each afternoon.

Upvote 0

JillC LI

What I was trying to figure out is if the cost for the party was worth it to have access to the attractions for those hours - probably not, really.

What's so much fun about the Halloween Party? I can't seem to find a good description of it.

Well I think RandomPrincess said it best above:

They have a special parade, fireworks, villain's stage show, a couple dance parties, trick or treating, not seen as often characters plus most of the rides are open. They also have special magic picture spots set up where you can take your picture in front of the Haunted Mansion and ghosts will be in your picture.

(And I'll add to that list, green Dole Whips.)

If none of that interests you, then it is definitely not worth it.

Upvote 0

pluto13

I wouldn't skip either, because I hate leaving the MK early so I usually do it. I have only been to the Christmas One and it is amazing!

Upvote 0

jkl2000

Original Poster
We like to go our first night or on our AK day. Some families will buy one less day on their park tickets and relax at the pool during the day and head into MK in the evening. Your party ticket lets you in at 4:00 and the party starts officially at 7:00 so you can get 8 hours in the MK with your tickets.

Hey, that's a neat idea. Any way to know how crowded the park will be during the party?

Upvote 0

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Hey, that's a neat idea. Any way to know how crowded the park will be during the party?

They tend to be less crowed then full days in the same weeks people want to get their money's worth they want the full day with fireworks at night. That said it all depends on how busy the week is overall. It will be one or two points lower then full days with no party.

Upvote 0

MommyAmelia

My family went with two toddlers this past october along with a group of friends. My experience was nothing short of magical. We arrived early (around 5pm) and were allowed into the park. The trick or treating was super cool and fun, but it really isn't the reason to go. If you go only to trick or treat, then you are spending a lot of money on regular candy (albeit they do a nice job in having a lot of spots you can go to get candy and have different offerings in different areas).

We met so many characters without a long line or wait. We literally walked right up to Mickey and Minnie and my daughter was the only one there, so they spent a long time with us. We waited maybe 2-3 minutes to see Snow White, Cinderella, and Rapunzel. We also met the 7 Dwarves, which are a rarity for a character meet and greet. Besides the great character sightings, we really enjoyed the parade and the fireworks were extraordinary. It was really a magical experience for us - one that I would highly recommend.

As for not buying a regular park ticket for that day, if we go again, I personally would not. I would spend the day resting at the pool and then head over early. You can get basically a full day at the park out of the party ticket since the park is open so late. It is considerably cheaper than a typical ticket, and the discount for little ones is a much broader group.

In addition, the decorations are beyond cool! The whole thing is just awesome.

Upvote 0

MommyAmelia

Also, when we were there, the park was definitely much less crowded during the party than on a regular park day. There was still a decent crowd, but we could get on the rides very quickly. We walked onto most or just had a very short wait.

Upvote 0

jkl2000

Original Poster
Thanks, all. I'm pretty sure we'll skip park tix for a day and do the party instead. We need to see the MK parade and fireworks more than just once, but this will allow us to do it in a unique and leisurely way.

Upvote 0

MomofKatie

The fireworks and parade are different than the "normal" ones during the party, so you will see 2 different fireworks shows, and 2 different evening parades. The special MNSSHP ones are really great!! Fireworks show is called Hallo-Wishes and is narrated by the Ghost Host from the Haunted Mansion. The parade is amazing- the Haunted Mansion Gravediggers are not to be missed!! And the Headless Horseman rides down the route to start the parade- very cool!

There are special effects that only appear on MNSSHP nights- I would consider them part of the party decorations. They project images on the Main Street buildings and there is special lighting- there are also inflatable decorations around and the Trick or Treat stations are decorated.

Upvote 0

luv

I can pretty much guarantee that my kids wouldn't be wearing costumes (aside from maybe mouse ears!) but I'm sure they'd enjoy trick or treating in WDW. What's so much fun about the Halloween Party? I can't seem to find a good description of it.
I've posted this before. It's not all-inclusive, but I did my best. :D

MNSSHP: luv's Not To Be Missed List...

(This is just my personal thing and not official in any way. Caveat emptor - and you didn't pay me, anyway, so you get what you get.)

1. Headless Horseman - he rides before the parades and may be the highlight of the night. (Doesn't ride if the ground is wet and not safe for the horse.)

2. The Boo to You parade, which starts in Frontierland, goes to the hub and on down Main Street, is Disney's best parade, all year long. Try to get a good seat. By "good", I mean on the curb or at the rope. No one place is much better than any other, IMO. But it's more fun if you can see the Headless Horseman and parade stuff easily. Also, at the end, they hand out suckers to KIDS in the front, so a little extra bonus for your time and trouble invested in being up front and defending your spot. The 2012 parades were at 8:15 and 10:30.

3. Fireworks. The fireworks ("Hallowishes") themselves aren't all that amazing, but they're fun and the soundtrack is awesome.

4. The Haunted Mansion. The ride is the same, but there is a ghost who will chat with you as you enter the line and the staff are all decked out. Pretty cool.

5. The barbershop quartet. They're dressed for Halloween and sing Halloweeny songs. One of my favorite parts.

6. The Villains Mix n Mingle. I don't go meet the Villains. If you want to do that, be up front and ready to book over to them when they come down. They don't stay long! But the show is good.

Trick-or-Treating - for kids and adults alike. They give you a small plastic bag when you enter. Wherever they hand out wristbands, they'll be handing out bags. They also sell a larger and more sturdy bag, if you want to get that. If your kid has a favorite pumpkin or something that they like to collect candy in, you can bring it. Lines get shorter later in the night. Sometimes there are candy trails - the one that begins in Fantasyland, back by Dumbo, and ends by Space Mountain is used more often than not...and it only runs one-way, so don't try to start it in Tomorrowland. Won't happen.

Meet & Greets - multiple character meet n greets (e.g. Seven Dwarfs! All together!) are set up around the park. My favorite is the one where you stand in a hitchhiking pose and they add the HM hitchhiking ghosts to it later. You can do M&Gs with characters wearing costumes, too. There are a bunch, but the lines do build, especially for the 7 Dwarfs. A lot of people start lining up for the dwarfs before the party begins.

Dance parties - for little kids (or anyone, really) - they're pretty loud, but the characters do a nice job with the kids. I generally avoid these, but the little kids are very cute, dancing with the characters.

Souvenirs - party-specific stuff to buy, if you want something from the event, like a pin or whatever. People have posted that they run out of T-shirts early in the evening, so if you want one, you might want to get there early. (I personally think they are kind of ugly and wouldn't bother, but to each, his own. ) There is no running out of pins! And no lack of selection on pins, either. If you like to buy pins, you can drop a bundle.

Tickets - MNSSHP is a "hard ticket" event. You will need a MNSSHP ticket to attend. (You do not need separate admission to the park.) The party is a park-wide event and your party ticket gives you access to all of it. I don't buy mine until the day of the party because I won't go in the rain. But if you put off buying a ticket until the day of the party, you risk having them sell out. It's a hard choice to make. Party dates and ticket prices can be found here: http://www.wdwmagic.com/events/mick...-scary-halloween-party-ticket-now-on-sale.htm

Wristbands - they'll give you one when you enter, if you enter around party time. Multiple places where you can pick one up if you've been in the park during the day - just give them your party ticket. You'll need to show your wristband periodically to the wristband police, who set up human blockades to prevent people who didn't pay for the party from being there. They even interrupted us while we were eating once and demanded to see our wristbands.

Maps - there are special park maps, just for the party. It lists the rides and places to eat that are open during the party, dance party and Trick-or-Treat locations...and has the all-important parade, villain show and fireworks times. They're cure, too. Pick one up! Whenever these maps come out, you will find the info here, so you can check it all out before you go, if you want.

Weather - it can be very hot (especially September or early in October) and it can get cold (especially later in the month).

Costumes - No way to predict temps, so if you have costumes, try to make them adaptable to any temp. Because that's so easy, lol. Adults can dress up, too (but it isn't required. Some do, some don't. Whatever you choose, you won't feel out of place.) Some people go all out on their costumes and some are very funny, so it's entertaining to see them all. Disney frowns upon and may not let you wear masks that will obscure your vision, so leave those out. It is the only time of year that adults can go to the parks in Disney character costumes and many do. I don't know what the rule is on what time you can enter the park with your costume on, but have seen people in costumes as early as four or five o'clock. You can get spooky with the costumes, but not too gory.

Although the party begins at 7:00, they usually allow people with just a party ticket into the MK around 4:00.

If you have an AP that gives you free parking, it doesn't cover MNSSHP. So, be sure to get through the toll plaza before 7:00. If you don't, be prepared to pony up the dough, flyboy!

If you all are into the horror part of Halloween, check out Halloween Horror Nights at Uni. Tons of fun...but not for children!

Have a great time!!!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom