Mickey's Fun House for MK's Storybook Circus (open brainstorming)

mharrington

Original Poster
Happy birthday, Mickey Mouse! In honor of that, I would like to bring something out once again!

There have been numerous attempts on my part to bring Mickey's Mad House to life, but as a regular dark ride and not a roller coaster, and renamed Mickey's Fun House. It was originally planned as an addition to the never-built Dumbo's Circusland, which was intended for Disneyland way back when.

But now, Circusland has come to fruition, in heavily modified form, as Storybook Circus. I have been struggling again and again with developing this ride, but with little to go on, I tried to rethink as a ride through a circus. While it does seem like a good idea, I have been trying to set it up so it can be replicated in other parks, such as Paris and Hong Kong, because I don't really know how popular circuses are in the world.

I have seen it on many other people's threads, too, but they usually don't go any further than just the same description over and over: "A thrilling dark ride based on the classic 1930's black and white Mickey Mouse cartoons and ragtime music." That's not really much to go on. I need help with this. The ragtime concept sounds interesting. I don't believe I ever heard of it before. Perhaps that can be expanded to regular jazz in general.

In any case, it will go over where Pete's Silly Sideshow is right now. There was produced an article from Passport 2 Dreams on ten of the Magic Kingdom's biggest blunders, with Mickey's Birthdayland/Starland/Toontown Fair coming in at #1. It singles out the tents in particular, which were retained from the transformation from Starland to Toontown Fair, and which were transformed into meet-n-greets and a shop, which were ostensibly retained for their alleged profitability. Here's what the article said (ellipses are to condense the article for clarity):

By 2001 the Toontown tent complex had become the single most profitable structure per square foot at Magic Kingdom. Mickey was the anchor, pulling crowds into Toontown, then dispersing them through a variety of shops and photograph locations. This profitability would ensure that the tents would survive yet another round of renovations - Storybook Circus.

[...]

Despite the fact that the reasons for the success of those tents were being scattered to the winds, it was proclaimed by fiat that the tents must remain due to their profitability. What had previously been the Princess Tent was transformed into Pete's Silly Sideshow, a permanent venue for Mickey, Donald, Minnie and Daisy with a nicely done circus theme. The crowds never quite returned to their original levels. What had previously been a bustling store where Princess dresses and Mickey dolls flew off the shelves now seems nearly abandoned after nightfall. The Sideshow meet and greet has started closing early.

[...]

Now that the power of the circus tents is on the wane, it really would be a nice gesture to finally lose them and build a permanent ride in that spot. The three Storybook Circus tents take up about as much room as the Mermaid ride next door. The basic problem is that the use of tents, no matter how nicely you build them or how intricately you theme them, still evoke temporary structures and, by extension, cheapness. Cheap ideas and cheap aesthetics are what Birthdayland initiated, yet it must be said that the new Magician Mickey and Fairytale Hall attractions are far above its standard, leaving just those three tents as symbols of Birthdayland's enduring legacy.

Thus, this whole area will be the new spot for this new dark ride. With that said...

@spacemt354, @MANEATINGWREATH, @FigmentJedi, @orlando678- and others, I would greatly appreciate some help. And I will try to be as accepting as possible.

spacemt354

Chili's
Responded to the other thread, but I'll move it over here.

I think circus elements are pretty popular and would fit in other international parks so that you can duplicate this attraction.

Cirque du Soleil is French for Circus of the Sun. While based in Canada they perform around the world (including Hong Kong) and their French origins are pretty clear in the title.

Les Colporteurs is another circus act, this time actually from France.

Casey Jr. Le Petit Train du Cirque is an attraction in Disneyland Paris, which adds an additional Dumbo attraction and the potential for a circus area.

Shanghai Disneyland also has Mickey Avenue, along with the Gardens of Imagination, which are both ripe for a Mickey Fun House attraction, because there is so much space left in that park to develop.

So I'd say - go for it! Circus is pretty popular in France and in Shanghai (not sure about Hong Kong) there is plenty of room to develop a circus area.

spacemt354

Chili's
However, what of circuses like what is seen in "Dumbo"? I believe those are on the wane, due in no small part to animal rights activists, and rightfully so, I believe.

Also, I just posted a thread about Mickey's Fun House, which I'm still struggling to do after all these years.
Dumbo is fantasy though, and they just built one in Shanghai as recent as 2016.

In Disney parks -- circus themes akin to the old versions of roadside amusement - are quite popular. And in these locations you want it in - actual circus acts are also common.

It seems like the best of both worlds as this checks off your requirements for this attraction to be a reality.

mharrington

Original Poster
Circus is pretty popular in France and in Shanghai (not sure about Hong Kong) there is plenty of room to develop a circus area.

But in this day and age, due in no small part to animal rights groups, circuses, like those seen in "Dumbo" or shorts like "Mickey's Circus" (look it up) with live animals, are on the wane, so there's the concern they could become out-of-step. The Madcap Circus concept has at least a few animal acts in there. I want to make sure it doesn't become too dated too fast. That's why I was returning to the Fun House concept.

Also, in the case of Paris, I was thinking of having be in this area here (which ironically houses a Mickey meet-n-greet):
P1MA06.png

As the map shows, also, there is the concern of it butting up against the railroad tracks. I don't think too many train tracks GO THROUGH circuses. It could go through the fun house (in Florida, too, for that matter), but not necessarily a big top.

AceAstro

Casey Jr. Le Petit Train du Cirque is an attraction in Disneyland Paris, which adds an additional Dumbo attraction and the potential for a circus area.
A bit off topic but this is my favourite ride at DLP :D

That being said I think a dark ride through a circus would be quite successful! Would you want it IP-based or an original story?

AceAstro

As the map shows, also, there is the concern of it butting up against the railroad tracks. I don't think too many train tracks GO THROUGH circuses. It could go through the fun house (in Florida, too, for that matter), but not necessarily a big top.

To avoid this you can also do what the Haunted Mansion does in Disneyland and under the train tracks via the Stretching Room.

spacemt354

Chili's
But in this day and age, due in no small part to animal rights groups, circuses, like those seen in "Dumbo" or shorts like "Mickey's Circus" (look it up) with live animals, are on the wane, so there's the concern they could become out-of-step. The Madcap Circus concept has at least a few animal acts in there. I want to make sure it doesn't become too dated too fast. That's why I was returning to the Fun House concept.

Also, in the case of Paris, I was thinking of having be in this area here (which ironically houses a Mickey meet-n-greet):
P1MA06.png
The location looks fine...but I'm confused. The Fun House attraction is going in a Circus themed section...correct?

The circus themed section is themed around Dumbo among other Mickey shorts. Those are timeless pieces of cinema - and themes that have been put into Disney parks for decades, even as recently as last year. So what is this talk of being 'dated'? I don't think that's anything to be concerned about.

mharrington

Original Poster
A bit off topic but this is my favourite ride at DLP :D

That being said I think a dark ride through a circus would be quite successful! Would you want it IP-based or an original story?

It would be based on the old Mickey cartoons of the 1930s with not just ragtime music, but jazz in general. It would be built (at first) for WDW's Magic Kingdom. I know they're doing Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway at the Studios, but that's based on those newer cartoons.

I also am trying to do it so it's not just black-and-white shorts, as per the original concept, but also color shorts, too. I'm also having difficulty trying to come up with a storyline around it. Maybe it could involve Pete trying to mess up the fun house for some reason. Or maybe it could be the Lonesome Ghosts, but I don't want it to be too much like the Haunted Mansion in that regard.

To avoid this you can also do what the Haunted Mansion does in Disneyland and under the train tracks via the Stretching Room.

The problem is, I believe there is a water table underground. That is one reason why they built UP the Pirate ride in France. And for that matter, there is a water table in Florida, too. In fact, I think Disneyland in California is the only park in existence not to be hindered by a water table.

mharrington

Original Poster
The location looks fine...but I'm confused. The Fun House attraction is going in a Circus themed section...correct?

I'm actually trying to do this in Florida, and then replicate it in other parks, which, unlike Florida, don't have a circus area per se. They have circus attractions, but not a circus land.

The circus themed section is themed around Dumbo among other Mickey shorts. Those are timeless pieces of cinema - and themes that have been put into Disney parks for decades, even as recently as last year. So what is this talk of being 'dated'? I don't think that's anything to be concerned about.

Here is but one article on circus elephants in particular and why the circus was getting rid of them: http://time.com/3733447/elephants-animal-cruelty-abuse-circus/. Granted, there wouldn't be elephants in the Madcap Circus concept, but I'm just trying not to be insensitive to the times in which we live now.

It's kind of like what would have happened if Western River Expedition had opened with the way the Native Americans would have been depicted: with huge noses, beady eyes, dancing around in circles and war-hooping; in other words, it was to have been depicted in culturally-appropriated stereotypes, and thus, politically incorrect. In the 1970s, the American public was being sensitized to the plight of Native Americans, and, in the words of Widen Your World, "that Walt Disney Productions perpetrated these stereotypes (in such films as "Peter Pan", "A Cowboy Needs a Horse" and "The Saga of Windwagon Smith") into the 1960s was lamentable. To have carried the tradition forward as part of a 1970s attraction, one which surely would have lasted into the 21st century, would have been egregious."

Anyway, it's the same thing with circus animals. "Dumbo" kind of gets away with it by virtue of it being about elephants that fly, but if the Madcap Circus concept was implemented, I would want to do any animal acts very carefully. There would be at least one concept in my idea, namely that Donald is a trainer of seals, as in "Mickey's Circus".

But I'm starting to ramble here. I think we should try to come up with ideas for anything here, although personally I would prefer the Fun House concept, since we've already got the Madcap Circus concept out already, but not for the Fun House.

spacemt354

Chili's
I'm actually trying to do this in Florida, and then replicate it in other parks, which, unlike Florida, don't have a circus area per se. They have circus attractions, but not a circus land.

Here is but one article on circus elephants in particular and why the circus was getting rid of them: http://time.com/3733447/elephants-animal-cruelty-abuse-circus/. Granted, there wouldn't be elephants in the Madcap Circus concept, but I'm just trying not to be insensitive to the times in which we live now.

It's kind of like what would have happened if Western River Expedition had opened with the way the Native Americans would have been depicted: with huge noses, beady eyes, dancing around in circles and war-hooping; in other words, it was to have been depicted in culturally-appropriated stereotypes, and thus, politically incorrect. In the 1970s, the American public was being sensitized to the plight of Native Americans, and, in the words of Widen Your World, "that Walt Disney Productions perpetrated these stereotypes (in such films as "Peter Pan", "A Cowboy Needs a Horse" and "The Saga of Windwagon Smith") into the 1960s was lamentable. To have carried the tradition forward as part of a 1970s attraction, one which surely would have lasted into the 21st century, would have been egregious."

Anyway, it's the same thing with circus animals. "Dumbo" kind of gets away with it by virtue of it being about elephants that fly, but if the Madcap Circus concept was implemented, I would want to do any animal acts very carefully. There would be at least one concept in my idea, namely that Donald is a trainer of seals, as in "Mickey's Circus".

But I'm starting to ramble here. I think we should try to come up with ideas for anything here, although personally I would prefer the Fun House concept, since we've already got the Madcap Circus concept out already, but not for the Fun House.
Could you please describe in a few brief sentences what we are brainstorming? It would be appreciated since you seem to be jumping to a lot of different topics and I'm not sure I'm following.

mharrington

Original Poster
Could you please describe in a few brief sentences what we are brainstorming? It would be appreciated since you seem to be jumping to a lot of different topics and I'm not sure I'm following.

Okay, I'll try. It is based on this concept called Mickey's Mad House, which was thought of for the never-built Dumbo's Circusland in Disneyland. It is described as: "A thrilling dark ride based on the classic 1930's black and white Mickey Mouse cartoons and ragtime music."

Now that a variation on Dumbo's Circusland, namely Magic Kingdom's Storybook Circus, has opened, I thought of reviving it. The main difference is that it is a regular dark ride, kind of akin to the Roger Rabbit ride, rather than a roller coaster and renamed Mickey's Fun House. It will also feature elements not only of black-and-white Mickey shorts, but color, too.

spacemt354

Chili's
Okay, I'll try. It is based on this concept called Mickey's Mad House, which was thought of for the never-built Dumbo's Circusland in Disneyland. It is described as: "A thrilling dark ride based on the classic 1930's black and white Mickey Mouse cartoons and ragtime music."

Now that a variation on Dumbo's Circusland, namely Magic Kingdom's Storybook Circus, has opened, I thought of reviving it. The main difference is that it is a regular dark ride, kind of akin to the Roger Rabbit ride, rather than a roller coaster and renamed Mickey's Fun House. It will also feature elements not only of black-and-white Mickey shorts, but color, too.
Thank you -- so basically you're taking the Mickey's Mad House wild mouse coaster concept, and turning it into a dark ride called Mickey's Fun House
D23_UDC_Mickey1.jpg

The Mickey's Mad House was originally a concept for Circusland in Disneyland
tumblr_mq5223z8zq1rz4i0fo2_1280.jpg

So you're using Storybook Circus as the land for it - replacing the tents of Pete's Silly Sideshow, with the Mickey's Fun House attraction
cjf018371LARGE.jpg

I think this is a great idea!

AceAstro

Thank you -- so basically you're taking the Mickey's Mad House wild mouse coaster concept, and turning it into a dark ride called Mickey's Fun House
D23_UDC_Mickey1.jpg

So you're using Storybook Circus as the land for it - replacing the tents of Pete's Silly Sideshow, with the Mickey's Fun House attraction
cjf018371LARGE.jpg

Agreed!! I think this has great potential and could see it truly happening in the park!

mharrington

Original Poster
D23_UDC_Mickey1.jpg

cjf018371LARGE.jpg

That is correct. However, I don't know the best way to do this. All I know is that it is based on Mickey cartoons (the classic ones) and features lively jazz music (not just ragtime). Most of all, I can't think of a good narrative for this. The only thing I can of is that either Pete (as another performer in this circus) or someone else is causing trouble for this area for whatever reason.

spacemt354

Chili's
That is correct. However, I don't know the best way to do this. All I know is that it is based on Mickey cartoons (the classic ones) and features lively jazz music (not just ragtime). Most of all, I can't think of a good narrative for this. The only thing I can of is that either Pete (as another performer in this circus) or someone else is causing trouble for this area for whatever reason.
Most Fantasyland style dark rides don't have a cohesive narrative. They are vignettes of a grander story - told in a condense 3-5 minute attraction.

Two shorts that come to mind to take inspiration from (one that you mentioned previously) Mickey's Circus and The Karnival Kid.

One in color/one in black and white.

I also think that you don't have to completely replicate either of these. Part of the fun for me is coming up with an original story, revolving around the fab 5, and since Storybook Circus has Goofy in it, even though he's not in these shorts, he could pop up in Mickey's Fun House.

To me, I would just make a zany, colorful attraction...

Perhaps the vague plot being that Pete has a circus carriage outside Mickey's Fun House, and isn't getting much attention...so on the ride, the attraction starts out paying homage to the classic Mickey Shorts like the ones above, with a scene or two from either one of those shorts. Then, about a 1/3rd of the way through the attraction, Pete meddles with the acts, and what proceeds is a wacky trip through the fun house as Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, and Pluto attempt to stop the commotion.

mharrington

Original Poster
Perhaps the vague plot being that Pete has a circus carriage outside Mickey's Fun House, and isn't getting much attention...so on the ride, the attraction starts out paying homage to the classic Mickey Shorts like the ones above, with a scene or two from either one of those shorts. Then, about a 1/3rd of the way through the attraction, Pete meddles with the acts, and what proceeds is a wacky trip through the fun house as Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, and Pluto attempt to stop the commotion.

Well, I'm having difficulty coming up with scenes from these shorts. And Minnie is not going to be here. I'm also not sure about Pluto. Donald and Goofy will be here, though.

I'm also thinking of having the ride vehicles look like those non-cage cars on the Casey Jr. ride, but more cartoon-like (and more dilapidated, as per your idea this is Pete's car):
355322432_5RS4h-M.jpg

We should try to come up with different scenes. The problem with those cartoons is that there's really not much there to merit for a fun house concept.

spacemt354

Chili's
Well, I'm having difficulty coming up with scenes from these shorts. And Minnie is not going to be here. I'm also not sure about Pluto. Donald and Goofy will be here, though.

I'm also thinking of having the ride vehicles look like those non-cage cars on the Casey Jr. ride, but more cartoon-like (and more dilapidated, as per your idea this is Pete's car):
355322432_5RS4h-M.jpg

We should try to come up with different scenes. The problem with those cartoons is that there's really not much there to merit for a fun house concept.
I tell you what. How's about you come up with a list of things that you would like to see in this attraction. Characters, plot points, ride vehicles, etc...and then from there I can help you form it all together.

A rough draft so to speak - you don't need to completely flesh out scenes -- but some elements that you want in your attraction would be helpful, so myself and anyone else helping you, aren't just guessing what you want.

mharrington

Original Poster
I tell you what. How's about you come up with a list of things that you would like to see in this attraction. Characters, plot points, ride vehicles, etc...and then from there I can help you form it all together.

A rough draft so to speak - you don't need to completely flesh out scenes -- but some elements that you want in your attraction would be helpful, so myself and anyone else helping you, aren't just guessing what you want.

Well, the original concept called for ragtime music, so I was thinking of broadening it into lively jazz, something like that music in "Thru the Mirror". The characters will include at least the following: Mickey (obviously), Donald, Goofy and Pete. I haven't made up my mind about Pluto, though. As for ride vehicles, as I said before, they would be based on those non-cage cars on the Casey Jr. ride.

One idea of mine is a room with a car theme, similar to this one section of Epic Mickey 2, where Mickey goes through a level based on "Mickey's Service Station" (there could be a car (maybe an old jalopy) jumping up and down, tires spinning on walls and an engine block lashing out at you like a dog):

One reason why I was thinking of this was to do a wall of license plates, similar to the queue for the Roger Rabbit ride, whose jumbles of letters and numbers mean various Disney things. A few are repeated here (most notably "CAP 10 HK", "101 DALMN" and "L MERM8"), but most are brand-new. I'll get to them later.

Another idea I've had, maybe as a climax to the ride, is a tornado scene, based on "The Band Concert", with the "William Tell Storm" music heard being lifted from the Silly Symphony Swings ride (listen until 0:28):

Those are all I have right now. I'll try and come up with more later, but the fact is, I don't really have a lot of ideas. And besides, I don't know how they can fit the theme of a fun house, even if Pete is disrupting the proceedings.

All I know is that I would like this to be equivalent to a crazy ride like Mr. Toad or Roger Rabbit.

mharrington

Original Poster
Using Mystic Manor as a kind of guide, I thought of having this ride be about as long as that, though maybe a bit shorter, given space constraints. In any case, I'm thinking of having there maybe be eight scenes (the same amount as the prospective Mickey's Magical Madcap Adventure), with vignettes from old cartoons. There are already at least two possible scenes.

Another scene I was thinking of is this scene involving Mickey's house and furniture, which is based on this one Christmas cartoon called "Mickey's Orphans":

Actually, the scene in the ride itself would be based on this scene in the Timeless River area of Kingdom Hears II (from 16:12 to 17:02):

Just like "Mickey's Orphans", maybe this scene could be all decked for Christmas come the holiday season.

One thing that is concerning of me is how Donald and Goofy can help out in this attraction when they have their own little performances here.

I bring this up, because in my plan, there will also be a spinner ride in Storybook Circus themed to Donald, a seal trainer, a la "Mickey's Circus" (it's called "The Astounding Duke Donaldo and His Symphonic Seals"). But I digress.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom