News Mickey Shorts Theater Coming to Disney’s Hollywood Studios

Magic Feather

There’s a sign out front that says “_ minutes until next show” so I imagine you’re meant to wait until the next performance starts.
This follows the new/old formula for continuous shows at WDW. The intent is to very publicly advertise how long there is until the next showtime outside the theater, to encourage people to meander outside (ideally in gift shops and the like) until a few min before showtimes. All of the new Epcot shows (even Canada, but we'll come back to that) have adopted this model, just like Country bear and Tiki Had the whole time. Recently Pixar Film Festival adjusted its exterior wait time clock to mimic this as well. Personally, I'm somewhat surprised that LMRA and OMD never got them, although they both pose their own challenges, which brings me back to Canada. A lot of these B/C Tickets Films are stuffed in the back of a pavilion of area, where there should be an E-Ticket, or at least something with a weenie. In fact, I'd be willing to blame the lack of a weenie signaling the presence of a theater or anything important in the back of Canada for its lower viewership. Canada was the first to install (although IIRC that stalled out on activating it) a clock off the promenade of World Showcase to advertise the countdown. Unfortunately, it somewhat discourages wandering in the pavilion, but it also incentivizes more people to go back by knowing there is a show there. Depending on how it does, I wouldn't be surprised to see venues like LMRA adopt this.

brb1006

Was that Russi Taylor voicing Minnie in "Vacation Fun"? Because if so, you can tell this was recorded during her final days (Minnie's voice sounded a bit off). Especially since that short doesn't featured a credits sequence.

Tom Morrow

Saw this today, I was pleasantly surprised by the look of the theater, and that at least 30% of the short was new footage. I seriously thought this was just going to be a no-effort thing like the Pixar Film Festival at Epcot. The audience was laughing quite a bit. It's funnier than the ride.

Next Big Thing

Saw this today. The theater looks great and i'd say this is a great warm-up for MMRR. I say that because a lot of people - especially the older generation - aren't familiar with the new Mickey design. So going and seeing this first will sort of prep people on which Mickey to expect on the ride and also showcase the humor of the shorts. There was audible laughs during the showing I saw.

Jabbas

The pictures posted of the threatre also gives it that cartoony look. Is it just editing or does it really look like that?

Tavernacle12

This actually seems pretty cool, I wonder how popular it will be?

Unlike Path of the Jedi, it seems like it's got a decent amount of new content (it also seems more fun than POTJ). Were I to be going to the parks anytime soon I might find myself dropping in a few times to relax with some AC and a nice cartoon.

Mike730

1583424374028.png

ohhhhhhh Mickey Shorts Theater.....

:cautious:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
This actually seems pretty cool, I wonder how popular it will be?

Unlike Path of the Jedi, it seems like it's got a decent amount of new content (it also seems more fun than POTJ). Were I to be going to the parks anytime soon I might find myself dropping in a few times to relax with some AC and a nice cartoon.
Yeah I think its a considerable upgrade from the very temporary Star Wars setup. Although there isn't that much new content in the 10 minutes. I don't think it will be very popular in a few months.

Magenta Panther

I just watched the new Mickey short "Vacation Fun", now showing at the Mickey Shorts Theater (heheheh, clever pun), via a video on YouTube.

It's, in part, a clip show, but it's cuuuuuuuuute! Seriously. It displays the new-style Mickey cartoons at their best. LOVED IT!!!! I agree with Brer Oswald that more new Mickey toons should be made exclusively for this new theater.

Now all we need is a 3D theater Mickey show with sound effects and scents and water, etc. Hmmm...now where in DHS could that possibly go...? ;)

BTW...if you watch the Shorts video, you'll notice that

there is a scene where Mickey and Minnie are exploring a pyramid. They get separated, and at one point Minnie accidentally triggers a booby trap that conks Mickey three times. On the second conk, you'll see Mickey transform into a different version of himself. THAT version was an actual proposed re-design of the Mouse in the 1950's that, thankfully, never got used. The character designs are on the web. So hey, if you think he looks weird now...

Last edited:

brb1006

I just watched the new Mickey short "Vacation Fun", now showing at the Mickey Shorts Theater (heheheh, clever pun), via a video on YouTube.

It's, in part, a clip show, but it's cuuuuuuuuute! Seriously. It displays the new-style Mickey cartoons at their best. LOVED IT!!!! I agree with Brer Oswald that more new Mickey toons should be made exclusively for this new theater.

Now all we need is a 3D theater Mickey show with sound effects and scents and water, etc. Hmmm...now where in DHS could that possibly go...? ;)

BTW...if you watch the Shorts video, you'll notice that

there is a scene where Mickey and Minnie are exploring a pyramid. They get separated, and at one point Minnie accidentally triggers a booby trap that conks Mickey three times. On the second conk, you'll see Mickey transform into a different version of himself. THAT version was an actual proposed re-design of the Mouse in the 1950's that, thankfully, never got used. The character designs are on the web. So hey, if you think he looks weird now...
About Mickey's 50's design, that was actually designed by Tom Ore (who would later work on 101 Dalmatians) that was used in various car commercials for a brief period in 1955.

He also designed Pinocchio, Gephetto, and Jiminy Cricket in this commercial for Hudson Hornet Cars

Alice and the White Rabbit, and Donald Duck and his Nephews (Huey, Dewey, and Louie) for Hudson Wasp Rambler

And finally this commercial featuring Brer Rabbit, Brer Fox, and Brer Bear

From the wonderful book 'Cartoon Modern' by Amid Amidi, "There was a little kid that used to write to Walt telling him to stay away from modern art because it's Communistic. So when the commercial came on, he got a letter from this kid, a little malcontent sitting somewhere, and he wrote, "I'm disappointed Walt. I never thought you'd succumb. What happened to you?" and Walt went crazy. He stormed down there and outlawed using any of the Disney characters in the commercials...spelling the end of the unit."

These commercials were found from a DVD called "Mid-Century Modern Animation Volume 1"

More information on Tom Ore's Mickey design and commercials can be found in this article from MousePlanet

Part 1

Part 2

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It’s a compilation of clips from existing shorts and some new content, so we can restrain the excitement just a bit. Chair backs are cute, a nice touch.

Overall it’s a decent place to get out of the heat, but it’s not something that is going to be very repeatable for many.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom