News Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway opening day reports

jt04

Don't mind jt and boarding groups. Ever since he found he could get a rise out of people for suggesting BGs to be used everywhere, he won't shut up about them in every thread.

I still am thinking it is a great way to get more people through more rides by filling queues earlier in the day. Perhaps it would be too effective for management's liking.

Tom Morrow

I rode today with a Fastpass and was in and out in about 20-25 minutes.

Everything else was surprisingly not busy in the evening. 30 minutes for MFSR, 25 for ToT, 15 for Star Tours, etc.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I still am thinking it is a great way to get more people through more rides by filling queues earlier in the day. Perhaps it would be too effective for management's liking.

There you go again severely criticizing Disney execs with a vicious snark about how they don't like effectiveness.

Though, I saw that coming with how disillusioned you were with Disney for not using BGs more often.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
At the end of the first day...

1583391725722.png

Next Big Thing

So, it took about 2.5 hours, but I did the thing. The line was moving really fast up until the ride breakdown, which lasted around 40 minutes + about 25 minutes of just getting through the backup of FP people. Knowing the layout of the queue now, I think I was on pace to get through the ride in under 90 minutes so if they can keep this thing running smooth, they're in good shape. Based on CMs I talked to, there was only 2 breakdowns all day (and unfortunately I was in line during one of them).

Anyways, I really enjoyed it! It's not a ride that will leave your jaw on the floor like Rise of the Resistance, but it IS a very charming ride that gave me some Roger Rabbit vibes. The ride is virtually like stepping into a Mickey Mouse cartoon - it was as if we were transported into a cartoon world (which is sort of the vibe that the cool pre-show was giving off). No, there's nothing that really looks too much like you're wearing 3D glasses (although there are a few spots where it's convincing), but I don't hold that against the ride as the way the ride plays with depth perception in general is such a huge plus to the attraction.

The animatronics... I heard some chatter about them not quite looking right beforehand, but had forgot that - until I saw Mickey and Minnie at the beginning of the ride. Something was off and I think it's the angle we're seeing them from or the projections are coming from maybe? The Mickey and Minnie at the end look perfect, which was weird. I thought Daisy and Pluto looked fine. I wasn't expecting the dome projection sequence that lasted maybe 15 seconds. With little to no motion base, I thought that was actually a waste and it made the ride instantly a bit too similar to RotR. I need another few rides to catch some of the details and hidden things like the nods to GMR. I have a fastpass for Saturday with others who will be going for the first time so i'll be interested to see their reaction.

I had heard a few reactions. A lot of “it’s cute!”. I didn't understand if that was a good thing or a backhanded compliment until riding. It just fits perfectly as a descriptor for the totality of the experience. If you've watched any of the new Mickey Shorts, this is just like hopping on inside and becoming part of the adventure. The art style and frenetic pace throughout the attraction really helped with giving that feeling.

Last edited:

Giss Neric

With little to no motion base, I thought that was actually a waste and it made the ride instantly a bit too similar to RotR

I know that part is supposed to be a simulation but I barely see any movement from the vehicles in the POVs. It has no height requirement so I would expect no aggressive movement like ROTR but it's like barely any.

Next Big Thing

I know that part is supposed to be a simulation but I barely see any movement from the vehicles in the POVs. It has no height requirement so I would expect no aggressive movement like ROTR but it's like barely any.
I honesly don't know if there was any and it was jarring because we weren't "feeling" what we were simulating.

Jabbas

The few videos I’ve seen are people having fun in the dance studio with daisy. A lot of the reviews really hyped that part up ( thought it was cute but not anything crazy like the boiler room switch-Picnic).

Next Big Thing

The few videos I’ve seen are people having fun in the dance studio with daisy. A lot of the reviews really hyped that part up ( thought it was cute but not anything crazy like the boiler room switch-Picnic).
As an adult male pushing 30, I found that part of the ride absolutely charming and sort of classic Disney in a sense. It also had some humor to it because of the frenetic scene you had just came from and the dance scene is so unexpected at that point in the ride. Everyone who was in my "dance studio" was having a blast at that part.

Jabbas

As an adult male pushing 30, I found that part of the ride absolutely charming and sort of classic Disney in a sense. It also had some humor to it because of the frenetic scene you had just came from and the dance scene is so unexpected at that point in the ride. Everyone who was in my "dance studio" was having a blast at that part.

It was very cute! I don’t disagree with that but a couple of the reviews were like “wow that daisy scene was crazy, you have to see it” along the lines of that. A lot of the reviews didn’t give away the last scene, so that was unexpected and the winner for me.

Tom Morrow

The animatronics... I heard some chatter about them not quite looking right beforehand, but had forgot that - until I saw Mickey and Minnie at the beginning of the ride. Something was off and I think it's the angle we're seeing them from or the projections are coming from maybe?
I thought the same thing. We were in the last car, and Mickey and Minnie seem to be at the wrong angle if you aren't in the first or second car, they definitely look weird.

Next Big Thing

I thought the same thing. We were in the last car, and Mickey and Minnie seem to be at the wrong angle if you aren't in the first or second car, they definitely look weird.
Yeah, I was in the last car of the train so ended up near the back of the room at a weird angle.

Speaking of the RVs though, I was very surprised at how large they were. Consistently 4 people are filling per row, but I saw quite a few times they were fitting 5 per row and it wasn't like it was a tight fit either.

jt04

There you go again severely criticizing Disney execs with a vicious snark about how they don't like effectiveness.

Though, I saw that coming with how disillusioned you were with Disney for not using BGs more often.

I think they like efficiency.......to a degree. Besides, I thought my rep was being too much of an apologist for TWDC. Your all over the place with your logic.

jt04

So, it took about 2.5 hours, but I did the thing. The line was moving really fast up until the ride breakdown, which lasted around 40 minutes + about 25 minutes of just getting through the backup of FP people. Knowing the layout of the queue now, I think I was on pace to get through the ride in under 90 minutes so if they can keep this thing running smooth, they're in good shape. Based on CMs I talked to, there was only 2 breakdowns all day (and unfortunately I was in line during one of them).

Anyways, I really enjoyed it! It's not a ride that will leave your jaw on the floor like Rise of the Resistance, but it IS a very charming ride that gave me some Roger Rabbit vibes. The ride is virtually like stepping into a Mickey Mouse cartoon - it was as if we were transported into a cartoon world (which is sort of the vibe that the cool pre-show was giving off). No, there's nothing that really looks too much like you're wearing 3D glasses (although there are a few spots where it's convincing), but I don't hold that against the ride as the way the ride plays with depth perception in general is such a huge plus to the attraction.

The animatronics... I heard some chatter about them not quite looking right beforehand, but had forgot that - until I saw Mickey and Minnie at the beginning of the ride. Something was off and I think it's the angle we're seeing them from or the projections are coming from maybe? The Mickey and Minnie at the end look perfect, which was weird. I thought Daisy and Pluto looked fine. I wasn't expecting the dome projection sequence that lasted maybe 15 seconds. With little to no motion base, I thought that was actually a waste and it made the ride instantly a bit too similar to RotR. I need another few rides to catch some of the details and hidden things like the nods to GMR. I have a fastpass for Saturday with others who will be going for the first time so i'll be interested to see their reaction.

I had heard a few reactions. A lot of “it’s cute!”. I didn't understand if that was a good thing or a backhanded compliment until riding. It just fits perfectly as a descriptor for the totality of the experience. If you've watched any of the new Mickey Shorts, this is just like hopping on inside and becoming part of the adventure. The art style and frenetic pace throughout the attraction really helped with giving that feeling.

Yes, the "it's cute" condescending meme is everywhere. It is amazing how people have been conditioned to behave like parrots. Amazing not in a good way. 🎣

This tech is here to stay. Very groundbreaking stuff. IMO.

NelsonRD

How does Boarding Groups get "more" people through attractions if there is a consistent wait all day? Boarding Groups reduces the number of people for the attraction to a realistic limit, not increase the number of people for the attraction.

jt04

How does Boarding Groups get "more" people through attractions if there is a consistent wait all day? Boarding Groups reduces the number of people for the attraction to a realistic limit, not increase the number of people for the attraction.

In my thinking they could be used on very high wait time attractions to entice or reward guests to get to the parks early. They would be limited in numbers but varied enough at each park so that every early arriver gets a bonus fast pass (BGs are a type of FP) or other reward. It is fun and spreads crowds out better. Which is only going to become more necessary in the future. IMO.

PS- to answer you more directly, the more people in the parks earlier allows the most guests to experience the attraction. Fewer empty seats and ride vehicles at opening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom