Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

A Noble Fish

No, TOT operates on a wire guided system where the vehicles follow essentially a wire in the ground - similar to GMR, actually. MMRR uses essentially wifi pucks in the ground to direct the vehicles, which provide a lot more freedom of movement.

When they went to create V2 of Tower for DCA, it was said that the wire guided system (and AGVs that use it) were to blame for lots of downtime. For this reason they basically eliminated all horizontal movement from that version. The reality was, after the first year or so, it the downtime wasn't more than any other ride. Attraction stops on TOT were pretty rare during my years there and certainly far less than attractions like Space Mountain where cascade stops were daily occurrences. It was more about saving money and keeping a smaller footprint for the building.
Spot on!

And in contrast to Mickey, a warehouse is easier to clone, so I wonder how much the clones will cost.

RSoxNo1

When they closed GMR it was not much of an E-Ticket and it needed a ton of updating ,but yes they should of keep GMR and updated it and made MMRR a new build .
GMR was bad the last 5 years of its life. It was dated and in desperate need of updating. But the move for this park was to close GMR as soon as Toy Story Land opened and build M&MRR elsewhere (say animation courtyard). A 12-18 month refurb of GMR would have revitalized a huge capacity attraction and when all is said and done it would have given the park 10 rides.

So many of us said this at the time and are repeating it now in hindsight. It just shows that many of the decision makers in the company still don't get it.

Goofyernmost

GMR was bad the last 5 years of its life. It was dated and in desperate need of updating. But the move for this park was to close GMR as soon as Toy Story Land opened and build M&MRR elsewhere (say animation courtyard). A 12-18 month refurb of GMR would have revitalized a huge capacity attraction and when all is said and done it would have given the park 10 rides.

So many of us said this at the time and are repeating it now in hindsight. It just shows that many of the decision makers in the company still don't get it.

I am not supporting either option of upgrading GMR or ripping it out. However, I have to wonder, how do we make the decision that the company still doesn't get it? Isn't it possible that we are the ones that just don't get it? GMR, in it's time was a great ride, but it was always going to be limited in it's appeal due to the very definition of it. Old movies that made Hollywood the place the never was and always will be. Over the last decade it's draw had dropped dramatically. During that time I never saw more then the first train running and that was mostly empty.

What that means is that even first timers to the park were not going to it and those that did, did not understand the premise of it at all. It was a great ride that had run it's course. We have to ask ourselves whether or not it would be wise to keep running a show that is very expensive to operate and maintain just for a handful (relatively) of old timers that still rode it strictly for its nostalgia value.

I think they knew what they were doing. Will I miss it? Sure, but there are a lot of things that have gone away in everyone's life that we have to cope with every single day, be it a theme park attraction or something much more personal. I am grateful that it looks like the theater that we all love (albeit hidden by a big ugly hat for a long time) is now being revitalized and will once again become a major draw and remain the icon it was years ago. Not just a poke in the memory part of our brains, but to something new and rider involving for all ages to enjoy.

Last edited:

Driver

Frankly I was disappointed in the ride. I was a fan of the GMR, and this has been a let down. I did find it entertaining, however in my opinion very much geared toward children. Not that , that's a bad thing. I appreciate they spent a lot of money on the project but after all the hype I was left disappointed. JMHO

KBLovedDisney

Frankly I was disappointed in the ride. I was a fan of the GMR, and this has been a let down. I did find it entertaining, however in my opinion very much geared toward children. Not that , that's a bad thing. I appreciate they spent a lot of money on the project but after all the hype I was left disappointed. JMHO
Wait. You rode it already? :eek: ... and you were disappointed?

Driver

Question on the trackless ride system:
The ToT operates on a follow the wire trackless system. I heard a lot of the issues it experiences is when a vehicle loses its way and comes to a stop.

Since M&MRR uses trackless system... is it possible for someone or several people in the car to make a sudden coordinated movement in a direction that would jolt a car slightly out of position and cause the ride system to stop?
I very much doubt it. At one point the ride really jostles you around, and seems to tolerate that well. Being that you are seated in a "car" it would take a lot of force to do as you say. And I don't think it's possible.

Surferboy567

I feel like this attraction is going to be the the type that’s going to be divisive. I’ve heard someone on the WDW reddit, give it a glowing review even with others in the comments. I’m not judging till I see a POV. For now, I’m liking with what I see/hear. Even the premise and attraction story is going to be divisive. I’m liking all the reviews from both sides that are coming in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom