Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

Hawg G

I maintain that if FoP were a Universal attraction, Disney fans would crap all over it for being a screen-based ride. It's probably the best flying theater attraction out there, but acting like it's some revolutionary ride among the best of all time shows, to me, extreme Disney bias. Your Mouse ears are on too tight.

I do agree that Universal Studios Florida lacks a cohesive theme, but it wasn't aiming to have one in the first place. The layout of the park reflects how Universal thought of it as a production facility first. DHS of course trying to be a legit production facility too, but they still had a traditional Main Street-and-Castle layout welcoming guests. USF's weenie is a 2D flat of the New York Public Library, for crying out loud.

My first thought when Epcot's redesigned entrance was announced was that USF needs an even greater overhaul. They have some space to do it considering they could utilize the side entrance to the park by the Blue Man Group.

As for USF not having an E-ticket and just "awful" D and Cs? It has what I consider the best interactive shooting ride ever created, Men in Black: Alien Attack (and no screens!) as well as Revenge of the Mummy, an indoor coaster with storytelling elements that Disney still hasn't matched 15 years later (maybe Guardians will change that). Even Gringotts is beyond what Disney has attempted in combining storytelling elements with a coaster.

As I've said, Flight of Wizardry, would be so looked down on by the DizNoids. It would be just another reason they never go to Universal

Mummy is E ticket on every front, and blows away any themed Disney indoor coaster. I mean, saying TRON, which is a low end coaster system, with a theme destroying outside section to start, followed by a black box with no real TRON theming an E ticket. Then saying a high end coaster system with multiple dark ride sections, 4 AAs, high end fire effects, and multiple direction changes NOT an E ticket pretty much destroys all credibility

Markiewong

As I've said, Flight of Wizardry, would be so looked down on by the DizNoids. It would be just another reason they never go to Universal

Mummy is E ticket on every front, and blows away any themed Disney indoor coaster. I mean, saying TRON, which is a low end coaster system, with a theme destroying outside section to start, followed by a black box with no real TRON theming an E ticket. Then saying a high end coaster system with multiple dark ride sections, 4 AAs, high end fire effects, and multiple direction changes NOT an E ticket pretty much destroys all credibility

You do realize that you are spitting a stream of bull now? Disney fans have nothing but praise for Spiderman and Forbidden Journey (which happen to also be Throwbridge’s attractions ;)). We only profit from the competition between Disney and Universal. And we can partly thank Universal for waking Imagineering up and creating Pandora and Galaxy’s Edge.

But calling TRON a low end coaster? The coaster is a complete redesign from the original Booster bike iteration. New track, new brakes, complete unique trains, a really strong launch... and you call that ‘low end’. Is Taron low end as well then?

Hawg G

You may find this article interesting:

The relevant parts:

In short: Weta Digital and Lightstorm Entertainment rendered at 10k, 60 FPS, 160FOV for the entire attraction. They chose 3D glasses that resulted in the smallest distortion and obstruction possible.

And as far as projectors go? Disney is no stranger to large scale, high-resolution projectors tiled together to create larger, higher quality displays. They even have published research papers detailing their automatic calibration process.

Odd resolutions are not uncommon, either.

That's been posted over and over. No one debates, they just dismiss, and post that.

1: a 10k image would either require 2x2 8k 3D projector array at high frame rate (such a projector doesn't even exist, I don't believe). This would be stupid, as a vast majority of the second level of VERY expensive projectors in each theater would be wasted, which isn't something Disney is likely to do. Or they are using a 3x3 array of 4K HFR 3D projectors that do exist, but still wasting quite a bit of the projectors' resolution. I'd love someone in the know to say which of these ridiculous systems is in use. It's simple math, a 4x4 array of 4K projectors is what is being used. I simply don't believe anything else.

2. Most likely the image is being called 10k, but is a 5k pixel shift image, similar to low end home "4K" projectors that fool your brain to think you are seeing a higher resolution by showing 2 2k images, slightly shifted. It is definitely a viable option, especially when the receptors (eyes) are moving a lot, and won't be able to see a true 10k image anyway.

BlakeW39

Nobody said Mummy wasn't E. It's a very good ride. Very dated, but very good. It isn't as good as Everest but I would agree it is better than many Disney coasters. Sometimes I do forget about this ride though.

Hawg G

You do realize that you are spitting a stream of bull now? Disney fans have nothing but praise for Spiderman and Forbidden Journey (which happen to also be Throwbridge’s attractions ;)). We only profit from the competition between Disney and Universal. And we can partly thank Universal for waking Imagineering up and creating Pandora and Galaxy’s Edge.

But calling TRON a low end coaster? The coaster is a complete redesign from the original Booster bike iteration. New track, new brakes, complete unique trains, a really strong launch... and you call that ‘low end’. Is Taron low end as well then?

Taron is a Vekoma Motorbike coaster?

DisneyfanMA

Good thoughts. The partisanship for fans towards one of the 2 brands of parks reminds me of being in high school and arguing about cars with other kids my age -allegiance to Ford or GM, or domestic vs european or asian car brands. Fast forward 25 years and the performance cars now are all amazing thanks to all the competition forcing everyone to step up their offerings. We all won. And speaking only for myself I can appreciate all types of performance cars, even if I have my favorites without hating on the others.

Long story short, can't we be fans of BOTH Disney and Universal here? Having not been to US since 1990 and been only to Disney for a single day (10 years ago) since 1990, I cannot comment on these modern rides other than what I've seen on youtube...however Tron looks AMAZING and I cannot wait til it comes to MK. I am going back to Disney in Nov 2020 with kids. I won't experience Tron but will hopefully see Mickey, Star Wars Land and Ratatouille. We are also absolutely packing in a day with hopper to the 2 US parks, as I fondly remember even back in 1990 really enjoying the US park. But with 3 kids aged 4-8 by then, Disney will be our focus, with US getting 1 full day, Disney at least 4 or 5.

DeletedAccount55555

"Nothing but praise" is going too far. Those two often get thrown into the "too many screens" argument. Spider-Man even more so because it doesn't have the animatronics that Forbidden Journey offers.

If anything, the praise heaped on those two attractions destroys the argument that Universal's problem is simply "too many screens." The issue is screens being used lazily, like Fast & Furious, Fallon and Kong.

And yes, Universal deserves credit for stepping up its game and pushing Imagineering. The problem is Disney fans generally don't phrase it that way. It's more like backhanded compliments like "Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade are great, but that's all that's great at Universal."

Or framing Galaxy's Edge as some sort of Universal killer, rather than hoping to see how Galaxy's Edge will push Universal to up its game and not rest its laurels on the Wizarding World.

That's a big part of this debate: I recognize and appreciate that the competition between Disney and Universal is great for everyone. Too many Disney fans see Universal as the enemy that needs to destroyed. All hail the Almighty Mouse.

Hawg G

Nobody said Mummy wasn't E. It's a very good ride. Very dated, but very good. It isn't as good as Everest but I would agree it is better than many Disney coasters. Sometimes I do forget about this ride though.

Well, it was said USF had no E tickets. Mummy is there. As is Transformers, which is above and beyond any similar Disney ride. Plus MIB, and Gringotts. If none of those are E ticket, none of the announced Disney rides, including MMRR, is E either

BlakeW39

Well, it was said USF had no E tickets. Mummy is there. As is Transformers, which is above and beyond any similar Disney ride. Plus MIB, and Gringotts. If none of those are E ticket, none of the announced Disney rides, including MMRR, is E either

Idk what you're talking about regarding USF having so Es, I didn't see anyone say that and I didn't, I did question the quality of their Es at pne point though. Mummy is the exception. Transformers is not good, it's just a bad clone of Spider-Man (a muchh better ride). MIB is good but not great in my opinion, though I could see why someone would call is that. Gringotts is not great and only debatably good. I like Gringotts more than some and even I think it's kind of lame considering how good it could be.

DeletedAccount55555

Idk what you're talking about regarding USF having so Es, I didn't see anyone say that and I didn't, I did question the quality of their Es at pne point though. Mummy is the exception. Transformers is not good, it's just a bad clone of Spider-Man (a muchh better ride). MIB is good but not great in my opinion, though I could see why someone would call is that. Gringotts is not great and only debatably good. I like Gringotts more than some and even I think it's kind of lame considering how good it could be.

Unpopular opinion, Universal Studios is a STAIN on Orlando theme parks in comparison to even DHS. It has no theme, just a cluster of mess, it has awful D ticket and C ticket attractions (yes they are admitted to be D and C, but they are still bad ones), and not one great E. Not one.

You did in fact say USF has "not one great E." You're now admitting Mummy is an exception, so you're contradicting yourself.

The rest is just your opinion that you don't even back up with an argument.

You can criticize Transformers for having the same ride system as Spider-Man. You can't call it a clone unless you're also attach that insult to any two Disney rides that use the same ride technology.

My guess is it's viewed differently because of how physically close Universal's parks are, making it much more likely guests will ride both in the same day. Or just because Disney fans hold Universal to a different standard.

BlakeW39

You did in fact say USF has "not one great E." You're now admitting Mummy is an exception, so you're contradicting yourself.

The rest is just your opinion that you don't even back up with an argument.

You can criticize Transformers for having the same ride system as Spider-Man. You can't call it a clone unless you're also attach that insult to any two Disney rides that use the same ride technology.

My guess is it's viewed differently because of how physically close Universal's parks are, making it much more likely guests will ride both in the same day. Or just because Disney fans hold Universal to a different standard.

I'm not contradicting myself lol I'm admitting that I was wrong concerning that particular comment. As far as Transformers, I'm calling it a clone not just due to the ride system but also because it's a similar story/concept too. And I'm extra hard on it because it's not even good whereas Spider-Man is so good, my favorite of all UNI and in my top 5 Orlando, easily. Also because I'm a Spider-Man fan.

Either way I clearly ended my argument and proceded that comment with acknowledging that it was now more subjective, and I was sharing that I did not think USF was good, and I still believe it's the worst theme park in Orlando.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom