Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

Hawg G

Soarin' IMAX has been downgraded so FoP at 8kl has higher ez. Not sure what the frame rate is but I expect its over 28fps easily. The fact that the entire side of the building slides up and down gives a drop feeling Soarin' cannot match. The screen remains hidden until the show begins (unlike Soarin'). It has a highly detailed queue (with an animatronic) unlike Soarin'. The screen doesn't distort the image, unlike Soarin' .......

I have not seen any proof that FoP is 8k. And it doesn't really matter. 4k is MORE than enough for the imperfect human eyeballs that are viewing the video. IMAX film is arguably 8k or more, but again, your eyes simply can't see it. FoP is definitely crisper than Soarin' 1.0, ot 2.0, was.

There is most definitely warping on the edges of FoP. The strobe start is cool, but hardly new.

The motion is more than Soarin', but the video is purposely low on action to keep motion sickness down to please the masses it is targeted to.

Hawg G

What are you expecting, a snapshot of the label of the projectors they use?

No, just info from an insider. I'm quite confident there is no such thing as an 8k 3D projector. Let alone an IMAX sized one.

And it would be fairly dumb to spend that kind of money for the ride. Let alone, I really doubt it was rendered 8k.

I'm starting to realize folks on here don't know nearly as much as they think they do

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
No, just info from an insider.

Here you go...

Castle Cake Apologist

No, just info from an insider. I'm quite confident there is no such thing as an 8k 3D projector. Let alone an IMAX sized one.

And it would be fairly dumb to spend that kind of money for the ride. Let alone, I really doubt it was rendered 8k.

I'm starting to realize folks on here don't know nearly as much as they think they do

If I may ask, why are you even here? In this thread at least, the majority of your posts seem to consist of insulting fans of Disney Parks, insulting the members here, insulting Disney's attractions, and bringing up Universal. Can't say you're making a great impression; but I'm sure you don't care.

Also, MMRR is going to consist of a hell of a lot more than just floor to ceiling screens. We've known that since basically the beginning...

Last edited:

Rich Brownn

I have not seen any proof that FoP is 8k. And it doesn't really matter. 4k is MORE than enough for the imperfect human eyeballs that are viewing the video. IMAX film is arguably 8k or more, but again, your eyes simply can't see it. FoP is definitely crisper than Soarin' 1.0, ot 2.0, was.

There is most definitely warping on the edges of FoP. The strobe start is cool, but hardly new.

The motion is more than Soarin', but the video is purposely low on action to keep motion sickness down to please the masses it is targeted to.
70mm IMAX was 16k.

Castle Cake Apologist

I didn't say it doesn't.
Flight of Passage. WORST. OVERRATED. MOVIE. EVER.

Sorry, I just don't get the craziness for FoP. Was it expensive? Yeahl. Is the video pretty? Yeah. Is it groundbreaking in any way over the 20 year old Soarin' ride? No. one could argue it has lower resolution than the original film version even.

But, I mean, IMAX was invented, what, 50 years ago. So, we have 50 year old screen size, with a moving platform, and your legs are spread apart a few times. It's a cool ride. But barely worth much more time than the crazy long queue and preshows take.

lol.

Rich Brownn

And I',m realizing you don't either. My degree is in cinematography. Bye.

180º

I seem to remember a WETA artist claimed there are more pixels in FOP’s ride film than there are in all of Avatar, accounting for the much higher resolution and frame rate.

Digital Soarin’ and FOP are both rendered at higher than 4K, and I’m pretty sure they use an array of projectors rather than a single one. I would appreciate some confirmation though!

EDIT: See Mister Penguin’s link. A rig of 4 4K projectors, 120fps.

Hawg G

Here you go...

Sounds about right. 4K is all that is needed. And it is about the same as 2k, if you cut the screen in half to be like a multiplex has. It is definitely HFR, I assume it's 60 per eye. Hobbit was 48 per eye, but only 2k, but on a smaller screen.

So, it's a bit better than the Hobbit movies. And that's what it looked like.

Folks don't seem to realize the enormous difference in 2k and 4K, and then 8k. If the movie was 8k, everything would have to be rendered at 16 times the size of the Avatar movie. Creating enormous amounts of data that no one would see. Add in the HFR, and that multiples it by 2.5, so folks really think Disney had the CGI done at 40 times the rendering as the Avatar movie.

OK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom