Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

Casper Gutman

Two words: Stop. Going.

Vote with your wallet. The rest of us will enjoy and appreciate.
I pretty much have, but thanks for your concern. I’ll keep reading and posting about the parks, however, because I still love much of what’s there and much of what’s gone. And you can feel free to “enjoy and appreciate,” though you might want to think twice about speaking for everyone else - they might have their own opinions.

P.S. I think this will probably be a really good ride. It’s just a shame Disney put it somewhere it doesn’t belong, considering the massive amounts of places in the Studios it would actually have fit.

smile

but still delaying it will only make it better.

same is said for many things and rarely is it accurate in such a way...
unless you make no distinction between make it work and make it better - which is another discussion altogether.

the delay really hurts

footsteps sometimes make people phase-y, but look at the bright side
...with luck, some kids are getting three separate trips out of all this.

think of the children.

smile

I mean doesn't making it "work" correctly make the attraction better?

technically yes, but for the sake of our discussion, if the alternative is non-functional/not operating it's likely rationalization of an excuse for a missed deadline or window
... if, for example, the alternative is diminished show yet still operational and largely in-tact, precedence dictates it would open with haste soon as the stage was set.

i'll eschew the fully operational angle as that doesn't appear to suit the current narrative.

Hawg G

Radiator Springs Racers is one of my favorite modern Disney rides and I honestly love everything I’m hearing about this ride so far. Can’t wait.

What else are they going to compare it to? RSR is the only real big ride built in any US park with modern AAs in DECADES, except for the wonderful NRJ. Can't imagine why they didn't choose that one instead.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I know cynicism is fun BUT truth/accuracy is better. All of these have modern AAs:
1. Frozen Ever After (love the Olaf ones)
2. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
3. Guardians Mission Breakout
4. Pirates Shanghai
5. Latest version Star Tours
6. Probably more.....
Truth be know, most attractions with animatronics have newer versions now. Even bodies that aren’t full A100 or newer have compliant limbs (GMR was a good case in point)

FigmentFan82

So I watched that video presentation about MMRR and some of the details they're putting in to it. It looks pretty amazing and I can't wait to see it in person when it opens! And I'm sorry if other people don't feel this way, but I think MMRR works perfectly in the Chinese theatre. They stated in the presentaiton that not only have Mickey cartoons actually premiered in the real Graumans, but that the Chinese theater has even appeared in old classic Mickey short cartoons. I was always a fan of TGMR as a huge movie buff, and it was sad to see it go. But I think MMRR completely fits in the Chinese theatre. I understand people have their opinions on it, but what makes you right and an imagineer wrong? The whole "doesn't belong in the Chinese theatre" is a completely valid opinion to have, but that's all it is, an opinion. I'm happy and thrilled that the very first Mickey Mouse attraction will be housed in the space that is the main focal point upon entry into the park. I don't want Mickey squirled away in the back corner somewhere. Sorry if it's an unpopular opinion, but MMRR definitely fits where its going.

Bender123

So I watched that video presentation about MMRR and some of the details they're putting in to it. It looks pretty amazing and I can't wait to see it in person when it opens! And I'm sorry if other people don't feel this way, but I think MMRR works perfectly in the Chinese theatre. They stated in the presentaiton that not only have Mickey cartoons actually premiered in the real Graumans, but that the Chinese theater has even appeared in old classic Mickey short cartoons. I was always a fan of TGMR as a huge movie buff, and it was sad to see it go. But I think MMRR completely fits in the Chinese theatre. I understand people have their opinions on it, but what makes you right and an imagineer wrong? The whole "doesn't belong in the Chinese theatre" is a completely valid opinion to have, but that's all it is, an opinion. I'm happy and thrilled that the very first Mickey Mouse attraction will be housed in the space that is the main focal point upon entry into the park. I don't want Mickey squirled away in the back corner somewhere. Sorry if it's an unpopular opinion, but MMRR definitely fits where its going.

I don't think anybody will argue with you on fit...the issue most people have is that it took sacrificing a timeless classic to get here. There wasn't really a valid reason to replace GMR when MMRR could have also been built.

FigmentFan82

I don't think anybody will argue with you on fit...the issue most people have is that it took sacrificing a timeless classic to get here. There wasn't really a valid reason to replace GMR when MMRR could have also been built.
Classic, yes. Timeless, def not. I rode in 2016. My fond childhood memories are much better than what I got then. And I'm not saying all classic stuff should go to make way for new. Not in the least. I would love it if TGMR had stayed and been refurbed. But this is the route they have chosen to take, and again I don't think its a bad decision. If it's one you don't like that's fine. But I genuinely don't think it's wrong. And I've seen many comments with people saying it doesn't belong in the Chinese theatre. Look, I'm in no way a "I love everything Disney gives me no matter what" kinda person, but we as people are different enough to not like the same things, and that's totally cool. I dislike when people make declarations though that their opinion is the true fact and that they alone know whats right and wrong with the parks. I like discussion. Have a conversation. The whole "It doesn't belong" is just weak sauce IMHO. And maybe I'm the one whose wrong. But I'll always state that it's simply this individuals opinion

Bender123

Not to get back into it BUT it was an a) outdated ride system, b) outdated story, c) over-reliant on "cast members as actors", and generally not nearly as popular as it should be in that location. Could they have updated it? Sure. However, that's what leadership is about: making tough choices. You don't have to agree (or even spend your $$ there) if you don't want to.

Nostalgia aside, and yes I was mesmerized by the GMR in the 90s, what they are building sounds MUCH more interesting to me than a GMR with new scenes...

Ehhhhhh…

This argument could also be used to replace Jungle Cruise, which actually fits your concerns better than GMR. The boat system is very outdated, the story is laughable 1960s cornball dad jokes, it has a huge plot of very valuable land in the most popular park and its completely reliant on cast members.

I have no issue with MMRR coming, I think it will be an incredible ride and a great addition. The issue I have is its doing the WoM->TT thing and replacing a classic with something that, while great, ever so slightly erodes that history that keeps the parks connected to the Disney Corp of old.

FigmentFan82

Ehhhhhh…

This argument could also be used to replace Jungle Cruise, which actually fits your concerns better than GMR. The boat system is very outdated, the story is laughable 1960s cornball dad jokes, it has a huge plot of very valuable land in the most popular park and its completely reliant on cast members.

I have no issue with MMRR coming, I think it will be an incredible ride and a great addition. The issue I have is its doing the WoM->TT thing and replacing a classic with something that, while great, ever so slightly erodes that history that keeps the parks connected to the Disney Corp of old.
Totally valid and well written perspective on the matter! Thanks!

Bender123

And I’d support removal of the Jungle Cruise, too. So long as what replaces it is state of the art, immersive, and amazing - something that will please 90%+ for decades to come.

These parks aren’t museums. They are businesses. Always have been.

Cant it be both? It seems like one of WDW and DL greatest strengths is that they have one foot in the past as they build futuristic rides. Honestly, the contrast between Tiki Birds and something like the incoming Tron is what I love about WDW that you just cant get anyplace else.

Casper Gutman

And I’d support removal of the Jungle Cruise, too. So long as what replaces it is state of the art, immersive, and amazing - something that will please 90%+ for decades to come.

These parks aren’t museums. They are businesses. Always have been.
That’s an incredibly shallow understanding of the Disney parks, but in your defense, it’s one I suspect the company’s executives share.

The parks ARE businesses. But they are businesses whose success is based on public perception of a very complicated brand, a brand historically linked to a complex combination of nostalgia, a coherent, optimistic worldview, unparelleld artistry, and other elements the vast majority of companies don’t need to worry about. Disney isn’t making widgets, as much as they might like to be.

The parks are businesses. But they are also works of art. Deeply significant elements of both American and international pop culture. In the case of DL and, to a much lesser extent, WDW, historic landmarks. Disney management seems to wish they weren’t those things, but they are, and that is a part of their huge success.

But you’re right in that despite all that they shouldn’t be museums. But glibly inviting replacement attractions at WDW ignores the key facts that 1) all the parks desperately need more capacity and 2) Disney’s track record with replacement attractions is horrendously bad. Embarrassments like Imagination and Mission: Space are monuments to this. Since ToT 25 years ago, Disney has managed to construct a total of two classic rides - RSR and AKs Safari, and the latter has gone through more then its share of growing pains.

I look forward to MMRR, but the fact remains that we lost an AA-driven masterpiece in favor of an entirely screen based attraction. Screens seem to be “state-of-the-art” right now - witness Rat, Falcon, and MMRR - but that doesn’t necessarily make them better then what went before. And I very much doubt that screen-based rides will please crowds for “decades” - I’d be willing to bet that much of what WDW is currently building will look archaic in less then 15 years.

Bleed0range

I feel like this forum, full of admittedly hardcore WDW fans, puts GMR on a bit of a pedestal. I don’t know anyone who ever felt like the ride was some sort of classic on the levels of Pirates or HM. It was a serviceable ride that I think was a few notches below the Disney magic standard and anyone’s attachment to it is mostly nostalgia.

This new ride has the kind of Disney magic deserving of the park icon and better fits now with the changing theming of HS.

I went on GMR as sort of a “thing to do” to get out of the heat, but I don’t miss it THAT much. It ran for a very, very long time too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom