Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

brb1006

Meh. I get it's Mickey but I hate it's cloned (I don't need anyone to argue with me why it should be; I get why it's being cloned). And meh to Spring 2020. So we have to wait another entire year. So hilarious considering the entire point of the project was to have it open BEFORE Star Wars ;) How sad they can't open the signature main attraction of the park for it's 30th anniversary and how sad they couldn't open it during the Mickey and Minnie celebration. Horrible timing all around. But [sarcasm] yay to opening a land half ready [/sarcasm]
The way both WDW and DL honored Mickey and Minnie's 90th Anniversary was underwhelming in general. They seriously need to make it up in 2028 which marks the 100th Anniversary for the duo.

Walt d

Its amazing really, since 2011 the DHS (in my opinion) has gone from one of my favourite places in the entire world right down to "meh, its probably not even worth visiting during my trip next year".

I am beyond disappointed with Disney right now. Yes the new Mickey ride looks cool, and yes, Mickey really does need more presence in the parks, but the loss of the GMR is unacceptable.

Star Wars Land better be the greatest thing since sliced bread, otherwise I doubt I would even want to go back to DHS.
Oh” oh bobby i is shaking in his boots He wants you there all the time $ $

Missyrosek

I have a sneaking suspicion that the wireless/trackless ride systems that WDI went headfirst on for both Runaway Railway and the Star Wars Resistance ride are the real culprits behind all the delays and drama. The wireless/trackless ride system just isn't ready for prime time, and now they are forced to open Star Wars Land on both coasts with only the Millenium Falcon ride operating, and open Star Wars Land in DHS eight months before Runaway Railway is ready.
But Disney already has trackless attractions all over the world, so this isn't a "new" thing for the company, right?

socaljoeyb

The ride warehouse building goes backstage, in an area that is currently occupied by a big warehouse and rehearsal halls used by the parade/entertainment groups. They are building a new parade building nearby on land currently used for an empty warehouse. They are getting really good at moving support facilities off property at Disneyland. They now even make the horses for the Main Street Streetcars commute in from a ranch 15 miles away, so they could build Star Wars Land.

From the Disneyland forum here, and with thanks to @truecoat for doing this, here is the DHS footprint of the building overlayed on the existing warehouse just north of Toontown that is to be torn down for Runaway Railway. There is plenty of room here for the Toontown version, although Toontown itself will be reworked for the entrance to the ride.

mickeys-jpg.366063

As a longtime observer, I am convinced most park execs on both coasts are incapable of playing 3D chess. Checkers they can handle, but 3D chess they just don't have the capacity for.

They can only really plan about 90 days out, and 30 days is their comfort zone. They are mostly reactionary when given information by other people, in this instance a WDI organization who simply had to admit they can't get Runaway Railway open before this August.

While you may need to move some personnel around to help Star Wars Land, which is the more important project, I am suspicious of the new narrative that everything is fine with Runaway Railway they just need more bodies working in Star Wars Land for now.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the wireless/trackless ride systems that WDI went headfirst on for both Runaway Railway and the Star Wars Resistance ride are the real culprits behind all the delays and drama. The wireless/trackless ride system just isn't ready for prime time, and now they are forced to open Star Wars Land on both coasts with only the Millenium Falcon ride operating, and open Star Wars Land in DHS eight months before Runaway Railway is ready.

It's a recipe for crowd control and PR disaster on both coasts. And even mediocre checkers players like they have in TDA and TDO wouldn't do that on purpose. In short, they are totally hosed on both coasts this year. ;)
But Disney already has trackless attractions all over the world, so this isn't a "new" thing for the company, right?

I recall hearing something about Disney suing and removing the contractor for the original trackless rides. Could that be affecting this?

TP2000

It's a new thing for this scale of a ride, on multiple levels with multiple interactive effects, and for the contracted company they used for the Resistance ride.

A CM on Micechat has said that originally they were supposed to use the company WDI used for the Luigi's Roadsters ride, but WDI and that company got in a legal fight and are suing each other now. WDI had to scramble to find a new contractor, and it's obvious at this time that things didn't go as planned for the Resistance ride, or for Runaway Railway. This wasn't how it was supposed to happen.

winstongator

Should DHS consider some sort of reservation system or capacity-throttling mechanism? There doesn't seem to be enough rides or restaurants in the park to handle extra-large crowds.

A back-of-envelope calculation puts the non-GE park capacity at something like 43K (15,000 people in line, 35% of those in the park are in line). I'm trying to figure out how they'd put, say, 20K more in there.
With that rough 3-1 ratio, if you have 5000 in line for smugglers run, you get 15k.

To those saying the park would need additional draw from MMRR - more people in DHS in late 2019 may be a bug not a feature. If they’re already pressing capacity, would the additional capacity from MMRR match the additional number of guests?

What would a touring plan for DHS including GE look like? I should check your site before asking...

My plan is to do just galaxy’s edge part of a day - either early or late, likely early with my crew. Then retreat to Epcot, resort or off-site activities.

Those attendance capacities, if DHS gets close to them for any considerable time then it’s attendance for 2019 will be. A huge jump.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom