Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

TeriofTerror

GMR was waaaaaaay too dated. If featured that "really old movie" Alien(s) to quote Soider-man. And that was one of the newest movies it featured.

Who gives a damn about Busby Berkeley, John Wayne, Casablanca, or Singin' in the rain now? Very few Disney guests, that's for sure.. Even Wizard of Oz is pretty unknown to anyone under 20. It is well beyond its once a year TV event status

1. Lots of people. Just because it doesn't interest you doesn't make it true for everyone. Nearly everyone I know over the age of 15 has at the very least seen Singin' in the Rain and The Wizard of Oz. If nothing else, most teen/high school drama groups do Singin' every few years, and shame on any parents who don't introduce their children to WoO.
  2. More importantly, he can say "damn" but I can't say Dick Van ? What the hell?!

TBrass84

1. Lots of people. Just because it doesn't interest you doesn't make it true for everyone. Nearly everyone I know over the age of 15 has at the very least seen Singin' in the Rain and The Wizard of Oz. If nothing else, most teen/high school drama groups do Singin' every few years, and shame on any parents who don't introduce their children to WoO
Ummm. What circles do you run in? I'm nearly 35, spent 6th grade through 5 years in college playing in concert band, marching band (we usually did musicals every show), jazz band. I've got Hamilton on repeat, have seen Les Miserables, Phantom, Jekyll and Hyde, Beauty and The Beast Musical, West Side Story, Grease, Oklahoma!, Guys and Dolls all live multiple times. And I've NEVER seen Singin' In The Rain. I've seen clips, but never the movie or any stage production all the way through. I work with teenagers for the very nature of my job, and most of them have never even HEARD of that one, let alone seen it.

For goodness' sake, how many arguments are there going to be on GMR? I didn't like it, but I know others who did. Do we really need to convince random strangers if it was a good ride or not? I could see arguing if it was a ride that still existed, but it doesn't. If you're glad it shut down, good for you. If you're sad it shut down, good for you. Who cares. You won't convince anyone that your opinion is right on the internet.

It boils down to this. Star Tours underwent a major renovation years and years and years back to make it a ride that was no longer the exact same thing every single time, and to update the graphics for it. If even STAR WARS couldn't survive its original ride structure and movie, why would we ever be surprised that GMR got shut down? I'm honestly surprised it didn't happen a decade earlier.

Hawg G

Ummm. What circles do you run in? I'm nearly 35, spent 6th grade through 5 years in college playing in concert band, marching band (we usually did musicals every show), jazz band. I've got Hamilton on repeat, have seen Les Miserables, Phantom, Jekyll and Hyde, Beauty and The Beast Musical, West Side Story, Grease all live multiple times. And I've NEVER seen Singin' In The Rain. I've seen clips, but never the movie or any stage production all the way through. I work with teenagers for the very nature of my job, and most of them have never even HEARD of that one, let alone seen it.

For goodness' sake, how many arguments are there going to be on GMR? I didn't like it, but I know others who did. Do we really need to convince random strangers if it was a good ride or not? I could see arguing if it was a ride that still existed, but it doesn't. If you're glad it shut down, good for you. If you're sad it shut down, good for you. Who cares. You won't convince anyone that your opinion is right on the internet.

It boils down to this. Star Tours underwent a major renovation years and years and years back to make it a ride that was no longer the exact same thing every single time, and to update the graphics for it. If even STAR WARS couldn't survive its original ride structure and movie, why would we ever be surprised that GMR got shut down? I'm honestly surprised it didn't happen a decade earlier.

Yeah, that guy is definitely not in a normal group of folks. Wizard of Oz is historical, but most certain not something the vast majority of kids these days sit and watch. They watch Logan Paul do stupid stuff on zyoutube, not wonder in how colorful the land of Oz is.

And Singin' In the Rain would play to empty houses at most High Schools

TeriofTerror

Ummm. What circles do you run in? I'm nearly 35, spent 6th grade through 5 years in college playing in concert band, marching band (we usually did musicals every show), jazz band. I've got Hamilton on repeat, have seen Les Miserables, Phantom, Jekyll and Hyde, Beauty and The Beast Musical, West Side Story, Grease, Oklahoma!, Guys and Dolls all live multiple times. And I've NEVER seen Singin' In The Rain. I've seen clips, but never the movie or any stage production all the way through. I work with teenagers for the very nature of my job, and most of them have never even HEARD of that one, let alone seen it.

Mostly I wanted an excuse to discuss #2. 😉

Smooth

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
It seems nobody pays attention to what will really tell you what's going on.... and that's cast member hiring/training. Are cast members being selected/trained on this ride yet? If yes, we're within a month or two of opening.... It shouldn't be hard at all to know if that's going on (or not).
TSL was quite rushed with only a scant couple of weeks for CM training. From what has been passed down to us, the railroad is not a priority rihjt now. So whatever issues exist are getting taken care of after SWGE.

phillip9698

1. Lots of people. Just because it doesn't interest you doesn't make it true for everyone. Nearly everyone I know over the age of 15 has at the very least seen Singin' in the Rain and The Wizard of Oz. If nothing else, most teen/high school drama groups do Singin' every few years, and shame on any parents who don't introduce their children to WoO.
  2. More importantly, he can say "damn" but I can't say ** Van **? What the hell?!

Point number one is highly dependent on the demographics of the people polled. For example I know of exactly zero people who have seen Singing in the Rain and I'm almost 40 and like a previous poster also a past musician. Now I'm not going to say that particular film should have been excluded in an update. I'm just saying the ride didn't offer a connection point to a very large portion of the riding audience.

When the ride was first completed there were 2 scenes from films released in the previous 10 years. Upon the ride closing there were 0 scenes from films released in the previous almost 40 years. That's a major problem.

Purduevian

1. Nearly everyone I know over the age of 15 has at the very least seen Singin' in the Rain and The Wizard of Oz. If nothing else, most teen/high school drama groups do Singin' every few years, and shame on any parents who don't introduce their children to WoO.

As someone in their mid 20s...
Footlight Parade- Never heard of it outside the ride
Singin' in the Rain- Knew it was an old song, had no idea it was a movie
Mary Poppins- Seen the movie
The Public Enemy- Never heard of it
A Fist Full of Dollars/The Searchers - I know the name John Wayne as an old Western Star, couldn't name any of his movies
Alien- Heard of it, never seen it
Raiders of the Lost Ark- Seen the movie
Tarzan the Ape Man- Never knew there was an older version of the animated classic
Casablanca -Heard of it, never seen it
Fantasia- Seen parts of it (couldn't name anything outside of Sorcerers Apprentice)
The Wizard of Oz- Seen it

Keeping track I've seen 3.5/12 movies and knew about 7/12 depending on how you count Singin' and Tarzan.

Oddly enough, I loved the ride and rode it every time. However, I liked the ride for the scenes I knew and the excitement of the staged interactions with the tour guide. I got quite bored between the start until the gangster/cowboy scene, but enjoyed most of the rest of the ride.

With SWGE and Toystory land, GMR would have turned into Ellen's or Country Bears for me... Great to ride if you have time, but defiantly could skip if I don't get to it.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
A Fist Full of Dollars/The Searchers - I know the name John Wayne as an old Western Star, couldn't name any of his movies
Tarzan the Ape Man- Never knew there was an older version of the animated classic
Fantasia- Seen parts of it (couldn't name anything outside of Sorcerers Apprentice)

Keeping track I've seen 3.5/12 movies and knew about 7/12 depending on how you count Singin' and Tarzan.

Oddly enough, I loved the ride and rode it every time. However, I liked the ride for the scenes I knew and the excitement of the staged interactions with the tour guide. I got quite bored between the start until the gangster/cowboy scene, but enjoyed most of the rest of the ride.

With SWGE and Toystory land, GMR would have turned into Ellen's or Country Bears for me... Great to ride if you have time, but defiantly could skip if I don't get to it.
400.gif

Purduevian

Fair point, but I don't think it's my fault haha.

I really think my age is a big issue here. Obviously these came out well before I was born, but once my parents wanted to show me some of their favorite "classic" movies once I was old enough, it was movies like Forrest Gump, Back to the Future, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Ghostbusters, Terminator, the Matrix, Jurassic Park, Titanic, the Sixth Sense, ect.

If the ride was filled with "classic" movies like that, I would have related to them much more. Few movies stand relevance over two generations, I doubt my kids will watch many of the movies listed above because I'll be too busy showing them Marvel, Dark Knight, Lord of the Rings, Avatar, Inception, New Star Wars, ect.

Kevin_W

I'm in my 40's and have a similar list, though I saw Casablanca ~10 years ago and Singing in the Rain on a long flight a year or two ago (it's worth seeing!).

ChewbaccaYourMum

I really think my age is a big issue here. Obviously these came out well before I was born, but once my parents wanted to show me some of their favorite "classic" movies once I was old enough, it was movies like Forrest Gump, Back to the Future, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Ghostbusters, Terminator, the Matrix, Jurassic Park, Titanic, the Sixth Sense, ect.

If the ride was filled with "classic" movies like that, I would have related to them much more. Few movies stand relevance over two generations, I doubt my kids will watch many of the movies listed above because I'll be too busy showing them Marvel, Dark Knight, Lord of the Rings, Avatar, Inception, New Star Wars, ect.
THIS is what a lot of older people (no offense) or just movie historics, don't understand. Basically every movie you listed are what's considered "old classic" to people in our generation. And we love those movies. Those are the historical classic movies to us that we love and will show our kids, along with some great movies from the past 10-15 years also. If they updated GMR with scenes from these movies, once we hit 2010, it would be relevant today.

Mike S

None of the old Star Wars?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom