• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

yensidtlaw1969

In the Parks
No
The UoE figured it out. In 1982.
And they had a MUCH bigger ceiling to disguise!

Even if they'd just painted the ceiling the dominant color of the sky in the scene it'd be much less of a problem. Instead . . . straight-up black?
I don’t think it’s impossible to do it today. Rather, it’s the lack of interest. Which is a shame because it can have a large impact on the scenes that have bright blue skies, but a black ceiling? The ride is advertised as being inside a cartoon. Not watching one on either side.
Imagine, if instead of this:

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 4.10.34 PM.png

It looked like this:

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 4.10.34 PM edit copy.jpg

Not even a huge structural difference - literally all I did was adjust the paint color of the ceiling that exists. That's why you can still see the vents and things. But isn't it still several times better than before??

Disney Analyst

Isn’t the ceiling mostly fully open and soundstage like to enable all the projection mapping?

This is sort of a symptom of a 360 degree projection based attraction…

yensidtlaw1969

In the Parks
No
Mapping the ceiling would have been SUPER F'ing easy and prob would have added very little to the overall budget.
Aww heck, let's REALLY dream for a second and imagine if they'd rounded the ceilings and mapped the whole thing:

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 4.10.34 PM edit 2 copy.jpg

Isn’t the ceiling mostly fully open and soundstage like to enable all the projection mapping?

This is sort of a symptom of a 360 degree projection based attraction…
Some of it is open, though several scenes are essentially flat ceilings. However, they have a projector peeking through a hole in the top of the Waterfall projection dome to map the floor in that scene, so there's really no reason they couldn't do something similar throughout the attraction.

Aside from $$$, of course.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Sheltered-at-home Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Aww heck, let's REALLY dream for a second and imagine if they'd rounded the ceilings and mapped the whole thing:

View attachment 554971

Some of it is open, though several scenes are essentially flat ceilings. However, they have a projector peeking through a hole in the top of the Waterfall projection dome to map the floor in that scene, so there's really no reason they couldn't do something similar throughout the attraction.

Aside from $$$, of course.

For all the ingenuity and brilliance of WDI that would have been required to do something like that, I'd put the price tag at... $50 million. :banghead: (Sarcasm, obviously, but pointing out the ridiculous spending of WDI these days)

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

For all the ingenuity and brilliance of WDI that would have been required to do something like that, I'd put the price tag at... $50 million. :banghead:
You jest but ceilings in dark rides are difficult and expensive. Ceilings are part of how a building and, more importantly, the people inside are protected from fires. Dark rides need a ceiling with a lot of holes in it for things like show lighting or, in the case of Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway, projectors. The end result is that you would have to double up on things like smoke detectors and sprinklers, some up high above the ceiling and some right there on that ceiling you’re trying to make part of the show. It’s more expensive stuff that you have to fit in an already crowded attic space. It’s a place that people aren’t supposed to look so it’s an easy thing to cut and not deal with the headaches.

TikibirdLand

For all the ingenuity and brilliance of WDI that would have been required to do something like that, I'd put the price tag at... $50 million. :banghead: (Sarcasm, obviously, but pointing out the ridiculous spending of WDI these days)
Along those lines, has anyone noticed how Goofy, looking out the back of the engine, doesn't fill the opening? The screen is square and the opening has an arch. Every time I see that, it's pretty glaring.

Attachments

• 2020-wdw-hollywood-studios-mickey-and-minnies-runaway-railway-opening-conductor-goofy.jpg
    2020-wdw-hollywood-studios-mickey-and-minnies-runaway-railway-opening-conductor-goofy.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 63

HauntedPirate

Sheltered-at-home Park nostalgist
Premium Member
You jest but ceilings in dark rides are difficult and expensive. Ceilings are part of how a building and, more importantly, the people inside are protected from fires. Dark rides need a ceiling with a lot of holes in it for things like show lighting or, in the case of Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway, projectors. The end result is that you would have to double up on things like smoke detectors and sprinklers, some up high above the ceiling and some right there on that ceiling you’re trying to make part of the show. It’s more expensive stuff that you have to fit in an already crowded attic space. It’s a place that people aren’t supposed to look so it’s an easy thing to cut and not deal with the headaches.

So something that could have been handled better with a new building instead of shoehorning MMRR into an existing building. ;)

UNCgolf

Along those lines, has anyone noticed how Goofy, looking out the back of the engine, doesn't fill the opening? The screen is square and the opening has an arch. Every time I see that, it's pretty glaring.

That was one of the very first things I noticed. I can't believe they thought that was acceptable.

yensidtlaw1969

In the Parks
No
Hence why I led with a Photoshop showing the current ceiling simply painted to match the sky - it WOULD be a real investment to turn every room into essentially a full projector dome, but I think some sky-colored paint instead of black on the ceiling would have solved more headaches than it would have caused.

I'd *prefer* a fully mapped dome, but I'd settle for the paint.

yensidtlaw1969

In the Parks
No
Just remember in the sea shot, straight painting wouldn’t work because the sky/water color changes twice (clear sky to red from volcano and then ocean blue.)
Yes, that's one of the problems I was referring to earlier when I said paint would help in *most* scenes. The transformation in the Boiler Room is similar.

Those are both rooms where a fully projection mapped ceiling would make that much more of a difference, but alas.

Touchdown

Yes, that's one of the problems I was referring to earlier when I said paint would help in *most* scenes. The transformation in the Boiler Room is similar.

Those are both rooms where a fully projection mapped ceiling would make that much more of a difference, but alas.
Also with the factory it makes sense that it had a roof at first (it’s a factory) and then it transitions to twlight so it kid of works there.

yensidtlaw1969

In the Parks
No
Also with the factory it makes sense that it had a roof at first (it’s a factory) and then it transitions to twlight so it kid of works there.
Perhaps - it's still a bit much for my liking, but it is what it is.

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 6.22.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 6.22.46 PM.png

There are a lot of things I'd put on my list for improving Runaway Railway if I was given the chance to start fresh, but if I were asked to go in and improve the current build at DHS I'd probably put every penny given towards making those ceilings disappear. For me they just kill any impression that we're actually where we're supposed to feel like we are.

Makes the space feel less like a showSCENE and more like a showROOM, you know?

Touchdown

Perhaps - it's still a bit much for my liking, but it is what it is.

View attachment 555056

View attachment 555057

There are a lot of things I'd put on my list for improving Runaway Railway if I was given the chance to start fresh, but if I were asked to go in and improve the current build at DHS I'd probably put every penny given towards making those ceilings disappear. For me they just kill any impression that we're actually where we're supposed to feel like we are.

Makes the space feel less like a showSCENE and more like a showROOM, you know?
I get what your saying and agree they could be improved but honestly the only place where it’s bothered me is the western scene. That is the only place where my eye are drawn upwards and it breaks the illusion, mainly because that scene starts very slow. Every other scene is so chaotic with so much going on it’s never bothered me, but I still see your point.

egg

Having the show scenes not really integrate into the floor makes it feel very temporary, unlike rides like Splash Mountain where you're completely immersed, ceiling and floor and all.
The biggest problem IMO is that the riders’ attention is drawn to the floor when the vehicle leaves the track, but then the floor is immediately abandoned as part of the theming.

yensidtlaw1969

In the Parks
No
The biggest problem IMO is that the riders’ attention is drawn to the floor when the vehicle leaves the track, but then the floor is immediately abandoned as part of the theming.
At times it's rather like a Widescreen movie, where the top and bottom of the field of view are blacked out. The problem with that is 1) As you said, they're not consistent with it, and 2) That's not a solid approach to making guests feel genuinely immersed in a new world.

It feels like many of the rooms simply stretch a movie screen most of the way around a room, throw in some props (and occassionally an Animatronic) and call it a scene. But above and below the "movie screen"? Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain . . .

yensidtlaw1969

In the Parks
No
Speaking of twilight, I wonder if a look like this might have helped disguise the ceiling better while still allowing for a whiz-bang transformation of the room:

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 6.22.46 PM edit.jpg

I didn't even change the color or brightness of the ceiling, just changed how the other colors are relative to it. Compared to how the room actually looks:

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 6.22.46 PM.png

(It's a quick pass, so don't judge me TOO harshly - squint and you get the idea)

AL2000HS

Problem with theming floors is the upkeep. You have maint and cms walking through it daily. Not to mention guests if the ride breaks down. Or if someone spills something/gets sick. Easier to hide with just a black floor than painted. Plus being trackless you would be able to see the layout of the vehicles overtime

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom