Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

Ismael Flores

I applaud Disney for expanding Disneyland with Runaway Railway, but as crazy as this sounds, I'm nervous that this could come back to haunt us. Building RR will make Toontown a permanent area of the park, removing the area once thought to be used for Fantasyland expansion. With Toontown off the table for removal, I'm slightly concerned that at some point (possibly 10+ years away for all we know) Casey Jr, Canal Boats, and the Fantasyland dark rides could be replaced. If Toontown were used for Fantasyland expansion, I feel as though they wouldn't remove them, but with the now limited expansion space, I fear that Disney will resort to replacing existing attractions. A better decision long term would have been for Runaway Railway to go in the DCA Backlot area with other enhancements to that land, and Toontown could have been repurposed into a New Fantasyland with a new dark ride where RR is slated to go, a replacement dark ride for Roger Rabbit, and something else in the area where the coaster and meet and greet buildings are currently located. Runaway Railway will be an awesome addition to Disneyland and great in the short term, but the long term future now has me nervous.

wouldnt that expansion in thebfuture be similar to what might happen now?
the area where MMRR will go is not karge enough for anything else beaides one ride and RRabbit can possibly be changed later in the future.

the change is wither now or in the future. i think its better now best to develop that area instead of trying to fit it somewhere else.

true that Mickey railroad would have been great for DCA but the only area large enough for a show building if that size is hollywood backlot.

if they were to do that then their future expanaion ideas north of the park would be limited to whatever layout is after the ride is built. one possibility would be to consider shutting down the animation building and playbouse Disney. and reconfiguring that row of structure in that area.
that would still allow growth north into the shuttle area without any new ride blosking expansion.

i find it almost impossible for them to mess to much with the existing fantasyland. thise buildings are too small. once they remove whats inside them anything new would need to follow strict ada regulations and where they have three small rides they might not have enough for one new one. there is also the issue of them basically being oart of the castle so its not like they can make this building tallers without destroying the castle force perspective.

i think that any changes to those rides will be mostly upgrades. If Pinocchio ever is on cutting board it will most likely maintain its ride system and be replaced with a new animated feature

Last edited:

mickEblu

I applaud Disney for expanding Disneyland with Runaway Railway, but as crazy as this sounds, I'm nervous that this could come back to haunt us. Building RR will make Toontown a permanent area of the park, removing the area once thought to be used for Fantasyland expansion. With Toontown off the table for removal, I'm slightly concerned that at some point (possibly 10+ years away for all we know) Casey Jr, Canal Boats, and the Fantasyland dark rides could be replaced. If Toontown were used for Fantasyland expansion, I feel as though they wouldn't remove them, but with the now limited expansion space, I fear that Disney will resort to replacing existing attractions. A better decision long term would have been for Runaway Railway to go in the DCA Backlot area with other enhancements to that land, and Toontown could have been repurposed into a New Fantasyland with a new dark ride where RR is slated to go, a replacement dark ride for Roger Rabbit, and something else in the area where the coaster and meet and greet buildings are currently located. Runaway Railway will be an awesome addition to Disneyland and great in the short term, but the long term future now has me nervous.

If I had my way I would have put Mickey in the backlot as it fits in better with the story of the attraction better anyway. Not to mention DCA needs it way more. I have mentioned on a few threads how they should just get rid of Hollywoodland since it lost its anchor anyway and just extend the higher quality themeing of BVS into the backlot and reroute the Trolley to go that way.

With that said I’m just happy to hear this attraction is coming to DLR and I’m just seeing the silver lining of Mickey going into Toontown like Roger being saved. Their also is the fear of the unknown. Pretty much everything they’ve done outside of SWL the last few years has been terrible. Even though Toontown has its flaws it also has a certain charm and it’s highly possible that whatever they replaced it with wouldn’t measure up if it’s done by the same teams working on Pixar Pier etc. Granted this wouldn’t be an overlay but my faith isn’t high at the moment.

Now if they end up bulldozing Storybookland but Toontown/ Roger are still standing then I’ll eat my words and wish they had expanded FL over there instead. With that said I feel that between the FL theatre, Motorboat and Autopia there is more than enough room for an FL expansion. Of course I do worry about losing that Autopia Forrest between the Matterhorn and Harbor. Sure, we’ll probably have some brand new BATB or Frozen E ticket but something about it would feel a lot less “Disneyland” if you know what I mean. Those trees there work really well there with the Matterhorn, Monorail and DLRR and they act as a nice berm. I just worry about additions looking too squeaky clean and losing more trees and more of that DL charm and lived in look.

Ismael Flores

This would be a good spot for the ride if they would be willing to tear down the animation building.

1) tear down the playhouse Disney, restrooms, off the page and animation building. construct a new building with a themed façade to fit the Buena vIsta look.

2) get rid of the akward side street that leads to the GOTG:MB and relocate it so that it is an angled street leading from the crossroad down to the entrance of the GOTG:MB ride. This would give that structure a better approach. This side street could be themed so that it is a main entrance drag into the super hero land.

3) notice that I put a building east of the new street that butts up right against the theater queue area. This building can be used to house new restroom facilities that have access to the queue area of theater and another part of it for street access only.
The balance of the building can be used for retail or even a relocated new show for the little ones that would replace the lost playhouse theater. the Hyperion would receive a new façade and the entrance for the show will be the at the end of the street. At the end of show all guests would exit south into GOTG:MB courtyard

4) The trolley tracks would have to be changed a bit it would now turn south into this new street and head south to its final stop.

Now you have a clear entrance and division into super hero land from this side of the park and the Hollywood area along with the backlot demolished for expansion. If the idea is that they need more room for more Marvel then maybe the upper backlot area and future expansion space can be turned into another marvel section with its own distinct theme separate from the Stark campus area but we can still have the main drag stay Hollywood themed with the Hyperion and Mickey ride as anchors

Last edited:

nevol

This would be a good spot for the ride if they would be willing to tear down the animation building.

1) tear down the playhouse Disney, restrooms, off the page and animation building. construct a new building with a themed façade to fit the Buena vIsta look.

2) get rid of the akward side street that leads to the GOTG:MB and relocate it so that it is an angled street leading from the crossroad down to the entrance of the GOTG:MB ride. This would give that structure a better approach. This side street could be themed so that it is a main entrance drag into the super hero land.

3) notice that I put a building east of the new street that butts up right against the theater queue area. This building can be used to house new restroom facilities that have access to the queue area of theater and another part of it for street access only.
The balance of the building can be used for retail or even a relocated new show for the little ones that would replace the lost playhouse theater. the Hyperion would receive a new façade and the entrance for the show will be the at the end of the street. At the end of show all guests would exit south into GOTG:MB courtyard

4) The trolley tracks would have to be changed a bit it would now turn south into this new street and head south to its final stop.

Now you have a clear entrance and division into super hero land from this side of the park and the Hollywood area along with the backlot demolished for expansion. If the idea is that they need more room for more Marvel then maybe the upper backlot area and future expansion space can be turned into another marvel section with its own distinct theme separate from the Stark campus area but we can still have the main drag stay Hollywood themed with the Hyperion and Mickey ride as anchorsView attachment 350972
this.

Rich T

We adults find that area boring, but the kids really do love it. If we take out some of toon town just think of the amount of new stroller traffic rolling through Fantasyland (shudder). Taking kids attractions out like at DCA with the end of Bug's Land is sad for the little ones
I grew up with a Disneyland that had no Toontown, and--as a little one--I had no problem having the best time of my life with everything else at Disneyland. Tom Sawyer Island was more than enough playground time.

Last edited:

mharrington

That's the thing. Disneyland was built because Uncle Walt was bored watching his kids have fun while he had to sit it out on a bench. ToonTown is a failure (IMO) because it reverts back to exactly what he was trying to avoid by building DL. Goofy's House, Donald's Boat, and the Treehouse are just Disneyfied playgrounds that are equivalent to what can be found at your local mall, and yes are boring for adults. At the mall, I don't care if I like it or not because I'm trying to get some work done while the kid plays. But this is DISNEYLAND. Surely they can come up with something that the entire family can enjoy.

By that logic, things like the Indiana Jones ride, Tower of Terror, etc., all revert back to what Walt wanted to avoid, too. These are examples of attractions that very young kids cannot go on, just as many of the things in Toontown frown up on (if not outlaw) adults. The argument should go both ways after all.

rebelk73

If I had my way I would have put Mickey in the backlot as it fits in better with the story of the attraction better anyway. Not to mention DCA needs it way more. I have mentioned on a few threads how they should just get rid of Hollywoodland since it lost its anchor anyway and just extend the higher quality themeing of BVS into the backlot and reroute the Trolley to go that way.

With that said I’m just happy to hear this attraction is coming to DLR and I’m just seeing the silver lining of Mickey going into Toontown like Roger being saved. Their also is the fear of the unknown. Pretty much everything they’ve done outside of SWL the last few years has been terrible. Even though Toontown has its flaws it also has a certain charm and it’s highly possible that whatever they replaced it with wouldn’t measure up if it’s done by the same teams working on Pixar Pier etc. Granted this wouldn’t be an overlay but my faith isn’t high at the moment.

Now if they end up bulldozing Storybookland but Toontown/ Roger are still standing then I’ll eat my words and wish they had expanded FL over there instead. With that said I feel that between the FL theatre, Motorboat and Autopia there is more than enough room for an FL expansion. Of course I do worry about losing that Autopia Forrest between the Matterhorn and Harbor. Sure, we’ll probably have some brand new BATB or Frozen E ticket but something about it would feel a lot less “Disneyland” if you know what I mean. Those trees there work really well there with the Matterhorn, Monorail and DLRR and they act as a nice berm. I just worry about additions looking too squeaky clean and losing more trees and more of that DL charm and lived in look.
Honestly, short of tearing everything out of Pixar Pier, not a whole lot could be done with the area. It is the best that could be done with Eisner era boring attractions. And call me crazy, but I would rather see almost anything else than something Frozen. Soooo over it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Honestly, short of tearing everything out of Pixar Pier, not a whole lot could be done with the area. It is the best that could be done with Eisner era boring attractions. And call me crazy, but I would rather see almost anything else than something Frozen. Soooo over it.

Well, ya know... the Incredicoaster can be rethemed as snowy mountains...

mickEblu

They could have just left it alone and used that wasted money on a dark ride instead.

Sharon&Susan

We adults find that area boring, but the kids really do love it. If we take out some of toon town just think of the amount of new stroller traffic rolling through Fantasyland (shudder). Taking kids attractions out like at DCA with the end of Bug's Land is sad for the little ones
Little kids like walking up a staircase with very little scenery along the way and walk down another staircase once they are met without a decent view at the top?

rebelk73

Little kids like walking up a staircase with very little scenery along the way and walk down another staircase once they are met without a decent view at the top?
Little kids yes. Sometimes the act of climbing on stuff is the real attraction for littles. I am bored to tears at a neighborhood park where little kids are climbing generic playground equipment and having the time of their lives. I not saying that these very small attractions can’t be plused up or switched out for other very small attractions. The footprint of these attractions isn’t big enough to do much.

mickEblu

Little kids yes. Sometimes the act of climbing on stuff is the real attraction for littles. I am bored to tears at a neighborhood park where little kids are climbing generic playground equipment and having the time of their lives. I not saying that these very small attractions can’t be plused up or switched out for other very small attractions. The footprint of these attractions isn’t big enough to do much.

Yea my son has the time of his life going up and down escalators at the mall and he’s a kid that was going to Disneyland twice a month. The imagineers just basically found a a way to include some small interactive attractions on that side of the land. Really they do more for the land aesthetically than anything. They could have very well been sets that one could look at but not walk into. They were not intended to be major attractions nor do they take up a lot of room so I think they make poor examples of attractions not fitting with the purpose of Disneyland. Especially Chip n Dale. I mean that takes up less room than the typical meet and greet.

Last edited:

D.Silentu

wouldnt that expansion in thebfuture be similar to what might happen now?
the area where MMRR will go is not karge enough for anything else beaides one ride and RRabbit can possibly be changed later in the future.
the change is wither now or in the future. i think its better now best to develop that area instead of trying to fit it somewhere else.
In reference to the concern that Mickey's Railroad will save Toontown for the foreseeable future, I have to agree this is an unfortunate outcome. It's a usual refrain for me to express that Toontown has outlived its use, so instead I will criticize the placement of the ride. I can't see what's worth preserving by taking up backstage space for the ride, rather than building it within the land.

I know that numerous mock ups have been done and that the ride would overtake most of Toontown. I also have read that a refreshment is rumored for the area to coincide with the opening of the ride. Yet, I wonder what they could possibly do to rejuvenate the land itself, or rather if they're willing to go far enough to do so. I'm doubtful in either case. I foresee people rushing to the new ride and leaving the land immediately after. There is so much underutilized space there and a fresh coat of paint won't make a difference once the bloggers depart.

mickEblu

I foresee people rushing to the new ride and leaving the land immediately after.

TBH this is how I treat Cars Land. But then again it’s how I treat any land that doesn’t have a place I like to eat at. I know we like to preach (myself included) about taking the time to smell the roses at the parks (which is hard to do when it’s packed) but outside of attractions, a sit down meal and taking a few side paths what does that really mean? I guess it’s more an attitude and not a “smell the roses” checklist.

The only land I “hang out” in NOS. I’ll get some beignets and eat them near the Train station or some popcorn and eat it at one of the few planters left that you can sit on between French Market and Magnolia Park. I worry that DL is losing all of those little nook n cranny / places off the beaten path that you want to hang out in.

I agree with what you said about Toontown. I don’t think we ll see much more than fresh paint job and maybe the fixing of some old interactive elements.

Last edited:

D.Silentu

TBH this is how I treat Cars Land.
We have that in common!
The only land I “hang out” in NOS. I’ll get some beignets and eat them near the Train station or some popcorn and eat them at one of the few planters left that you can sit on between French Market and Magnolia Park. I worry that DL is losing all of those little nook n cranny / places off the beaten path that you want to hang out in.
Yet another thing we have in common. I find it interesting that one such place, Tropical Hideaway, opened recently. Yet, there is an intangible engineered quality to it that many of us have felt. We're being directed where to relax now. As certain as exiting through a gift shop, you can be sure a snack bar is a few steps away.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom