Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

mickEblu

I wonder how soon construction would start after this. Even if it’s not announced, they can start doing some preliminary clearing.

I’m not sure but I’d imagine they would want this up and running by summer 2021. 2022 latest. If they can build SWL in 3.5 years they can build this clone in 2... if they want too.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I wonder how soon construction would start after this. Even if it’s not announced, they can start doing some preliminary clearing.
I’m not sure but I’d imagine they would want this up and running by summer 2021. 2022 latest. If they can build SWL in 3.5 years they can build this clone in 2... if they want too.
Could we be hearing something at D23.....

FYI here is a permit for an offsite warehouse where some of this stuff is likely going:

DrAlice

Hopefully Disney will “plus” the Neighborhood district. Chip and Dale’s treehouse is just depressing, Gadget’s is nothing special and is too short, and Goofy’s House isn’t interesting for anyone above the age of five.

This. All of this. I'd love to see that side of TT (from the land entrance all the way to Gadget's) be completely replaced with a high-capacity, high quality dark ride. Something fun for the littles AND their families, and can eat up some people. Then open up the land so it isn't a dead end (perhaps at the tree house area). That combined with MMRR, the Mickey and Minnie meet and greets, and Roger Rabbit, and you have a land worth visiting.

mharrington

Current rumors are that all of Towntown is getting overhauled/thematically refreshed along with M&MRR.

I hope they retain the kiddie coaster if this is true. Keep the coaster track, but give it a new theme.

I also hope that they retain the music of the classic 1930s-'40s cartoons, which sounds something like this:

Many of the above tracks were taken from Silly Symphonies cartoons, with a track from the occasional Mickey Mouse short thrown in. More recently (about 2013), they added in several additional tracks from other cartoons (which sound like the Have a Laugh versions):

If the tracks in the second video play in the first one, I apologize for any repetition. I just didn't have time to go through the entire video, which lasts about an hour. In any case, if it's true that it is being overhauled, then I hope that the above background music is retained and not replaced.

Like I said, I also hope they keep the kiddie coaster as well, at least the physical structure if not the theme.

Ismael Flores

This. All of this. I'd love to see that side of TT (from the land entrance all the way to Gadget's) be completely replaced with a high-capacity, high quality dark ride. Something fun for the littles AND their families, and can eat up some people. Then open up the land so it isn't a dead end (perhaps at the tree house area). That combined with MMRR, the Mickey and Minnie meet and greets, and Roger Rabbit, and you have a land worth visiting.

Its too bad that SWGE doesn't fully back up to this land, it would have been great to add another bypass in that area. A nice green area that connected both areas so that the park got rid of another dead end.

It would be great to have another nice dark ride in that side of the land, I doubt they would do it though. dark rides now a days need a large footprint to accommodate ADA regulations for evac. What they should consider at this point is to get rid of the chip and dale tree house and the Donald duck boat as well as Gadget go coaster. A nicely themed and longer family coaster using that chunk of land would be great.

Last edited:

rebelk73

I still feel like this ride is much better suited for California Adventure. It fits perfectly if you build it behind Carthay Circle and enter through the Carthay Circle building. There's room now with A Bug's Life gone and DCA -a place really short on dark rides - would really benefit from this.
That area is ALL going to Marvel. The bug's life theater is going to be a Spiderman ride (a dark ride) and all that area is going to be Marvel themed. There is a rumored roller coaster being added there as well. I think it fits perfectly in Disneyland fwiw (runaway railway). Toon Town is also comically in need of a refresh, even more than Tomorrowland (and that is really saying something). I know that DCA could use more stuff, but we won't be hearing about anything new in DCA until after Marvel land is nearing completion. Yes, Galaxies Edge is opening this summer so it feels like Disneyland is getting something sooner, but it has been the only project going for several years now. If the parks are going to keep getting updates, it is Disneyland that is due for a new attraction in a few years, strange as that seems. Whatever anyone thinks of it, Pixar Pier is still being built out ( Jessie's Critter Carousel and the Inside out emotional whirlwind.) Since we can't see much happening in DCA on Marvel land, it is hard to remember that it is going to be a big new land.

rebelk73

Its too bad that SWGE doesn't fully back up to this land, it would have been great to add another bypass in that area. A nice green area that connected both areas so that the park got rid of another dead end.

It would be great to have another nice dark ride in that side of the land, I doubt they would do it though. dark rides no a days need a large footprint to accommodate ADA regulations for evac. What they should consider at this point is to get rid of the chip and dale tree house and the Donald duck boat as well as Gadget go coaster. A nicely themed and longer family coaster using that chunk of land would be great.
We adults find that area boring, but the kids really do love it. If we take out some of toon town just think of the amount of new stroller traffic rolling through Fantasyland (shudder). Taking kids attractions out like at DCA with the end of Bug's Land is sad for the little ones

Ismael Flores

We adults find that area boring, but the kids really do love it. If we take out some of toon town just think of the amount of new stroller traffic rolling through Fantasyland (shudder). Taking kids attractions out like at DCA with the end of Bug's Land is sad for the little ones

I actually don't find it boring but the whole west side of the land really has very little to keep the children and parents entertained.

I agree that the removal of bugsland in DCA they removed an area that the little ones enjoyed along with their parents. The worst thing is that they could have easily moved the attractions they removed from bugsland in other areas of the park in pieces of land that are not being utilized properly and still be able to keep the attractions that the little ones enjoy.

for example, the lady bug boogie spinning cups use a very small footprint and could have been moved to the southern most point of the challenge trail and just be rethemed to fit the grizzly theme area. There is enough room behind the mermaid building in what is now just a trail and a hollow tree to walk thru, most of the time that area is dead. I copied and pasted the actual ride to scale in the picture below. a fun water play area can also be created in the north west section of the same challenge trail playground. I painted the area in yellow in picture. This area right now has a rock formation that leads to what must be the smallest slide I have ever scene and few feet east of that is a "rock climbing wall that also sit mostly unused because small children can't use it. There is plenty of room here for a water play area next to the caves that already have a mini splash puddle.

flicks flyer is already being re-used so the only thing left is the Heimlich train. Instead of that boring little ride which seemed to take longer to board than the actual ride, WDI really need to consider adding a newer version of Casey junior size train. They can use the land that sits between Soarin and Grizzley rapids.

There just doesn't seem to be a plan on what they are doing. Land is not being utilized the same way as it used to be bugsland was a fun little land but the problem was that they missed the mark with not adding an actual ride. Hemilich could have easily been a nice indoor outdoor darkride. when it was built they had the empty farmers market buildings right next to and a swath of land being used as the bountiful garden area. Instead they created a long narrow path and a walled in miniland filled with spinners and an extremely short train ride themed to giant fruits.

spinners are fun but they should be used as fillers in land that is not big enough for other projects like the placement of the lady bug spinners in the unused area of the challenge trail

Attachments

• new play area.jpg
    new play area.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 100

DrAlice

We adults find that area boring, but the kids really do love it.

That's the thing. Disneyland was built because Uncle Walt was bored watching his kids have fun while he had to sit it out on a bench. ToonTown is a failure (IMO) because it reverts back to exactly what he was trying to avoid by building DL. Goofy's House, Donald's Boat, and the Treehouse are just Disneyfied playgrounds that are equivalent to what can be found at your local mall, and yes are boring for adults. At the mall, I don't care if I like it or not because I'm trying to get some work done while the kid plays. But this is DISNEYLAND. Surely they can come up with something that the entire family can enjoy.

Ismael Flores

I still feel like this ride is much better suited for California Adventure. It fits perfectly if you build it behind Carthay Circle and enter through the Carthay Circle building. There's room now with A Bug's Life gone and DCA -a place really short on dark rides - would really benefit from this.

The Carthay is way to popular to remove and the back of the Carthay will be used for the spiderman ride expansion.

mickEblu

That's the thing. Disneyland was built because Uncle Walt was bored watching his kids have fun while he had to sit it out on a bench. ToonTown is a failure (IMO) because it reverts back to exactly what he was trying to avoid by building DL. Goofy's House, Donald's Boat, and the Treehouse are just Disneyfied playgrounds that are equivalent to what can be found at your local mall, and yes are boring for adults. At the mall, I don't care if I like it or not because I'm trying to get some work done while the kid plays. But this is DISNEYLAND. Surely they can come up with something that the entire family can enjoy.

I agree with basic sentiment here but that whole side of Toontown are just filler “attractions.” The stars of Toontown were always Roger and Mickey and Minnie’s houses. I’m not sure what they could fit in the plot of land that would be better than what Goofy etc do for the land. I kind of look at them as “interactive” 3D facades that you re able to walk into. They take up no room and the train tracks are on just the other side of Toontown. Not to say that Goofy, Donald and especially Chip n Dale can’t be improved but their really wasn’t room there for a family attraction. We can’t speak of these attractions as they were supposed to be the main attractions when all they were supposed to be was filler/ atmosphere. All you could fit in their place was a couple tiny carnival flat rides that would do nothing for the land aesthetically.

Now with Mickey being added to Roger and the less desirable side “attractions” you speak of it really legitimizes the land IMO. Outside of Mickey and Minnie, I view the whole neighborhood section of Toontown as atmosphere.

All they have to do now is spruce everything up. New paint job and give some life back into the neighborhood district with more interactive elements.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom