Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
That’s why I think they should have used all the designs. From black and white Mickey to the new one today. The ride concept would have lended itself perfectly to this. You didn’t necesssrily have to be even going from steamboat Willie to Lonseome ghosts and so forth. But it could have been a singular, original story jumping through time which could have included all the different designs of Mickey through the years. Of course execution is key. My approach might be harder to execute and possibly take the rider out of the story if not done convincingly.

You're making too much sense. Easier to just shove the new mangled Mickey and friends in there and re-use animation from the new shorts. They have all this unsold merchandise to push too.

mickEblu

You're making too much sense. Easier to just shove the new mangled Mickey and friends in there and re-use animation from the new shorts. They have all this unsold merchandise to push too.

LOL. Man I love how passionately you hate of the new Mickey style. It reminds me of how I was/ am with the TOT change.

The funny part if they used all the different Mickey designs on the attraction they would actually sell more merch.

No Name

Frankly, with the dilution of the original Disney brand essence happening with all the agressive IP aquistions, I think a strong, impressive Mickey themed ride is a valuable addition in the parks now. I think of it as a vintage Disney brand anchor in a park environment that has been straying away from it's identity.

I fully agree that they need to emphasize the core of their company, but people have argued that this is actually doing the reverse.

Mickey is the main character of the resort and the company. He is arguably above a ride. When you put a story-driven Mickey ride in no more a prominent location than any other, that doesn't give the impression that he's any higher than a character like Peter Pan or Buzz Lightyear or Kylo Ren. That's the argument, and whether you agree or not, I think you can see my hand.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I fully agree that they need to emphasize the core of their company, but people have argued that this is actually doing the reverse.

Mickey is the main character of the resort and the company. He is arguably above a ride. When you put a story-driven Mickey ride in no more a prominent location than any other, that doesn't give the impression that he's any higher than a character like Peter Pan or Buzz Lightyear or Kylo Ren. That's the argument, and whether you agree or not, I think you can see my hand.

I don't think you have to worry about placement in terms of impression of importance. With Mickey's face front and center when you walk in a castle park everyone knows that Mickey is the head (pun intended) of all characters. You can argue about which location is the best, but people aren't going to really question its placement outside of boards like this.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes

To be fair though the Chinese theater in DHS is a pretty special place, or at least it's supposed to be. This also isn't going to be a cheap and short ride through some plastic sets. From all the hype a few have created this is supposed to be an epic attraction with amazing technology. We'll see though.

brb1006

At some point though the designs would have to change. Even the Mickey of the 40s and 50s looked different than the character from the 30s, and the current Mickey won't be around in 50 years. Just look at the evolution of the in-park rubber head costumes. Sure not everyone is going to like the design, but that would be true no matter what changes they made.
I love how the new Mickey and Minnie heads eyes appear to look a bit similar to the 60's and 70's design where their pupils appear to be looking down. Unlike the 70's design, the they actually look at you.
mm-1970.jpg

C2hVetnUAAA6Zsw.jpg

SteamboatJoe

Is RR's Car Toon Spin still the speculated site for this attraction? If so, I hope I luck out and they hold off on any changes until after May 1.

George Lucas on a Bench

I love how the new Mickey and Minnie heads eyes appear to look a bit similar to the 60's and 70's design where their pupils appear to be looking down. Unlike the 70's design, the they actually look at you.
mm-1970.jpg

C2hVetnUAAA6Zsw.jpg

The older suits are definitely more charming. I like how they don't have oversized features. Modern day Mickey stepped on me with his giant shoes.

TP2000

mm-1970.jpg

C2hVetnUAAA6Zsw.jpg

I'm thrilled that Mickey is taller than Minnie in the 21st century. Back in the 1960's Minnie was several inches taller than Mickey, which never makes for a good photo. In any photo, the boy should always be taller than the girl. You know it's true.

Never mind the fact that both of these characters are really just two short girls who go to Fullerton Junior College, in both 1962 and 2018. But at least in the 21st century they do a much better job ensuring that the taller girl wears the Mickey outfit, and the shorter girl gets assigned the Minnie outfit.

Let's go Fullerton Junior College Hornets! Beat the San Mateo Junior College Bulldogs!

brb1006

I'm thrilled that Mickey is taller than Minnie in the 21st century. Back in the 1960's Minnie was several inches taller than Mickey, which never makes for a good photo. In any photo, the boy should always be taller than the girl. You know it's true.

Never mind the fact that both of these characters are really just two short girls who go to Fullerton Junior College, in both 1962 and 2018. But at least in the 21st century they do a much better job ensuring that the taller girl wears the Mickey outfit, and the shorter girl gets assigned the Minnie outfit.

Let's go Fullerton Junior College Hornets! Beat the San Mateo Junior College Bulldogs!
Could have been worse, look at the earlier park days of Daisy and Donald Duck together if you can find any good photos of the two together between the early 80's till the mid 1990's.

Rich T

Alright what else are you hiding after today's news. ;) Bet you hiding something about Runaway Railway huh?
The new slightly modified (and renamed) attraction will be located in the Star Tours facility and will feature an exciting "4-D" romp on "Mickey's Groovy Grocery Cart," ending by spilling passengers directly into the middle of the gift shop.*

*This information may not be entirely accurate...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom