Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Frankly, with the dilution of the original Disney brand essence happening with all the agressive IP aquistions, I think a strong, impressive Mickey themed ride is a valuable addition in the parks now. I think of it as a vintage Disney brand anchor in a park environment that has been straying away from it's identity.

I think a strong Mickey ride is part of a plan to convince Congress to extend copyright. It is part of a multi-phased push of Mickey which includes stage shows, updated M&G character, new web series, Disney Jr. shows, and the theatrical short (Get a Horse) to show Congress the character is actively used and innovating. The copyright expires in 2023.

Practical Pig

I think a strong Mickey ride is part of a plan to convince Congress to extend copyright. It is part of a multi-phased push of Mickey which includes stage shows, updated M&G character, new web series, Disney Jr. shows, and the theatrical short (Get a Horse) to show Congress the character is actively used and innovating. The copyright expires in 2023.

I hadn't considered that, but now that you mention it, it seems like a very canny probability. Speaking as a fan of the public domain – damn.

mickEblu

Frankly, with the dilution of the original Disney brand essence happening with all the agressive IP aquistions, I think a strong, impressive Mickey themed ride is a valuable addition in the parks now. I think of it as a vintage Disney brand anchor in a park environment that has been straying away from it's identity.

Couldn’t agree more.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes

I agree. It's just too bad they're not using vintage Mickey in it.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
I appreciate that viewpoint. I'm vintage myself. But I understand why they are going with the product that they are currently producing, for customer development and all that. And I also find some delight in the new style.

I don't care for it but it has it's moments. I'm sure the actual attraction will be impressive regardless of the art style.

Rich T

I appreciate that viewpoint. I'm vintage myself. But I understand why they are going with the product that they are currently producing, for customer development and all that. And I also find some delight in the new style.
I really don't like the newer character designs, but I can see it working for a frantic, crazy ride. Practically speaking though, it could turn out to be a short-sighted pop culture move (the kind Disney just loves to do these days), given that the popularity of the new designs might burn out as quickly as Phineas and Ferb or Gravity Falls, leaving the attraction looking dated (possibly before it even opens). If they'd went with the much-loved, and proven-timeless 1930's designs, the ride would be more...well...timeless.
(EDIT) ...and if they don't sneak Oswald onto the ride somewhere, I'm gonna scream. :D

D

Deleted member 107043

I really don't like the newer character designs, but I can see it working for a frantic, crazy ride. Practically speaking though, it could turn out to be a short-sighted pop culture move (the kind Disney just loves to do these days), given that the popularity of the new designs might burn out as quickly as Phineas and Ferb or Gravity Falls, leaving the attraction looking dated (possibly before it even opens). If they'd went with the much-loved, and proven-timeless 1930's designs, the ride would be more...well...timeless.

At some point though the designs would have to change. Even the Mickey of the 40s and 50s looked different than the character from the 30s, and the current Mickey won't be around in 50 years. Just look at the evolution of the in-park rubber head costumes. Sure not everyone is going to like the design, but that would be true no matter what changes they made.

Phroobar

(EDIT) ...and if they don't sneak Oswald onto the ride somewhere, I'm gonna scream. :D
Nice thing about it since the ride is mostly screens and projections, they could update the characters to vintage Mickey if the current version falls out of favor. A holiday overlay could be easy. If that doesn't work, it could get an overlay with that super popular Simpsons IP.

Rich T

...and if Ducktales gets dated...
upload_2017-12-14_11-18-56.png

mickEblu

At some point though the designs would have to change. Even the Mickey of the 40s and 50s looked different than the character from the 30s, and the current Mickey won't be around in 50 years. Just look at the evolution of the in-park rubber head costumes. Sure not everyone is going to like the design, but that would be true no matter what changes they made.

That’s why I think they should have used all the designs. From black and white Mickey to the new one today. The ride concept would have lended itself perfectly to this. You didn’t necesssrily have to be even going from steamboat Willie to Lonseome ghosts and so forth. But it could have been a singular, original story jumping through time which could have included all the different designs of Mickey through the years. Of course execution is key. My approach might be harder to execute and possibly take the rider out of the story if not done convincingly.

TROR

BREAKING: Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway to close and be replaced by a new dark ride attraction that celebrates the historic filmography of 20th Century Fox, Lucasfilm, and the Walt Disney Studios.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom