Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

dweezil78

At the risk of creating a firestorm of controversy I think in 2017 AAs are overrated. Not saying that I'm not fond of them, but for too long they were relied upon as the defining feature of Disney Park storytelling. It's nice to see WDI using lots of different mediums to tell stories today.

Totally agree. I think so many of us have a fondness for them though because of how prominently they were featured in Walt-era attractions (and the corresponding park TV/video features) and were touted as the biggest thing in theme park innovation. While there are some truly amazing AAs out there (Ursula, the Shaman, etc), many of the older ones I'm sure are underwhelming and come off as pretty darn hokey to newer guests who did not grow up with them.

D

Deleted member 107043

There will always be a special thrill in watching a great AA figure, because it's a fascinating art form something you don't see every day in the ordinary world. But, yeah, the important thing is to use whatever medium tells the story best, be it screens, sets, AA figures or plywood cutouts. The new AA version of the Matterhorn's Abominable Snowman is great, but the scariest part of the ride is the lift hill projection of him glaring at riders through the ice wall.

As long as Pirates remains as a defining example of an ultimate AA ride, I'm glad to see Disney experimenting. I'll always miss the days of DL having 3 fun AA musical productions (especially because the two destroyed shows were replaced by practically nothing)... but they were a product of their time.

Agree on every point.

There was a moment around the time EPCOT Center opened maybe when AA tech took a noticeable leap forward (the walking Ben Franklin comes to mind), however compared to recent AI developments and humanoid robots Disney's AA tech and it's usage largely remains the same as it was when Pirates opened in 1967.

Rich T

Totally agree. I think so many of us have a fondness for them though because of how prominently they were featured in Walt-era attractions (and the corresponding park TV/video features) and were touted as the biggest thing in theme park innovation. While there are some truly amazing AAs out there (Ursula, the Shaman, etc), many of the older ones I'm sure are underwhelming and come off as pretty darn hokey to newer guests who did not grow up with them.
And it really comes down to the artists involved. Pirates and Haunted Mansion work so well because of the faces Marc Davis and Blaine Gibson gave those guys. Even the figures with minimal movement come across as threatening or funny. No matter how impressively (or not) a figure moves, it's the faces that make or break them. Even as kids we knew the difference in believability between a Disney Pirate and a Knotts Gold Miner.

No Name

Why are some automatically assuming that the Runaway Railway is going to be a poor attraction based on the minuscule information that has been released? Am I missing something? I mean, yeah, fans are going to be critical of everything, and this thing is replacing a classic E ticket that many people were fond of, but I haven't seen anything that makes me think the new experience will suck or be an experience less compelling than the GMR was.

No, I haven't seen many think it's going to poor attraction. There are main reasons people are opposed. Not that I agree with all or any.

1) The GMR was the park's last opening day attraction and is a last stand in a lot areas... length, live actors, lots of physical stuff, etc.
2) It arguably fits the area better than the Mickey ride, considering many of the actors, films, music, etc. are from classic Hollywood.
3) In general, people don't love the style, and think it'll be a jarring transition from the physical characters right outside.
4) Perhaps Walt (and everyone since) wasn't a total idiot who created rides with Peter Pan, Snow White, Mr. Toad, etc. but forgot about Mickey!

24975124012_c8d25030c3_b.jpg

^ Goofy, who your parents would let you go near.

latest

^ Goofy, who now smokes weed in a sewer.

Last edited:

Curious Constance

As good as the acquisitions are for the company, Disney was a lot more fun when it had its own identity.
Agreed. Everything is going from here's what we came up with, to here's what brand we bought most recently.

Me and the kids just formed a connection to Screamin in June. Had so much fun, till I literally almost puked from riding it so much. We listen to the song in the car together and talk about how much we loved it. And now it's being changed to Incredibles.

I've always liked Incredibles. BUT LESS SO NOW!!!

I get that it's good for business, blah, blah, blah. But some day people may get sick of all the branding everywhere, miss the uniqueness, and seek it out elsewhere.

britain

Agreed. Everything is going from here's what we came up with, to here's what brand we bought most recently.

Me and the kids just formed a connection to Screamin in June. Had so much fun, till I literally almost puked from riding it so much. We listen to the song in the car together and talk about how much we loved it. And now it's being changed to Incredibles.

I've always liked Incredibles. BUT LESS SO NOW!!!

I get that it's good for business, blah, blah, blah. But some day people may get sick of all the branding everywhere, miss the uniqueness, and seek it out elsewhere.

I totally get what you're saying, but at the same time, my family grew up walking through the queue of Space Mountain, and when we made it to the hexagonally shaped hallways, we'd decide who was going to be Han, Luke, Leia. (My dad was always Chewie). This was years before Star Tours was even a thing.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being the best in your category, and if you can't beat the best, buy them.

D

Deleted member 107043

I've always liked Star Wars and Pixar, but I'm mad at Pixar for taking over the pier, and I'm mad at Star Wars for being everywhere, always.

This makes me so happy hahaha. I've been beating this drum for years and I just LOVE that you've finally had it with Disney brands everywhere and all over the parks. :D

dweezil78

4) Perhaps Walt (and everyone since) wasn't a total idiot who created rides with Peter Pan, Snow White, Mr. Toad, etc. but forgot about Mickey!

Well, it may not have been a 'ride' -- but the Mickey Mouse Revue was an opening day attraction at WDW (and later at TDL).

And don't forget its sequel (in spirit), Mickey's Philharmagic. So can't really say that Mickey-based attractions have been absent from the parks. Literal moving rides, sure...

mickEblu

No, I haven't seen many think it's going to poor attraction. There are main reasons people are opposed. Not that I agree with all or any.

1) The GMR was the park's last opening day attraction and is a last stand in a lot areas... length, live actors, lots of physical stuff, etc.
2) It arguably fits the area better than the Mickey ride, considering many of the actors, films, music, etc. are from classic Hollywood.
3) In general, people don't love the style, and think it'll be a jarring transition from the physical characters right outside.

24975124012_c8d25030c3_b.jpg

^ Goofy, who your parents would let you go near.

latest

^ Goofy, who now smokes weed in a sewer.

Of all of them, I think #4 is ridiculous. I don’t think I’ve heard anyone in favor of the Mickey ride has used the reverse of that logic. I haven’t heard anyone insinuate that a Mickey ride was missed somehow. More that they (we) are excited to finally get one. But really I think the excitement is more surrounding the Ride concept.

D.Silentu

Here I sound like a broken record, but really, why is this going to Disneyland when it is DCA that needs a ride like this? I'm not sure the space has been properly compared, but the Muppetvision Theater sits ready and waiting. The ride entrance could be easily turned to face Hollywood Blvd, leaving the rest of that area ready for whatever they eventually plan to do with it. One park does not need two preview theaters and the fact that it has them is a testament to the need for more rides.

TwilightZone

Here I sound like a broken record, but really, why is this going to Disneyland when it is DCA that needs a ride like this? I'm not sure the space has been properly compared, but the Muppetvision Theater sits ready and waiting. The ride entrance could be easily turned to face Hollywood Blvd, leaving the rest of that area ready for whatever they eventually plan to do with it. One park does not need two preview theaters and the fact that it has them is a testament to the need for more rides.
probably because that area is becoming marvel land (or so I've heard)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So far, every insider who's had a peek at what MMRR is about has had only superlative things to say about it. Even the ones that are unhappy that it's replacing TGMR. Not a one has spoken negatively of the new Mickey look as being a detraction.

Those who say it will be horrible because of the new look or because SCR33NZ!! are reminiscent of the ones who said the GotG overlay on ToT will be awful or that FoP will just be Soarin' 2.1. You may not like the property, but the execution will be excellent.

TwilightZone

Of all of them, I think #4 is ridiculous. I don’t think I’ve heard anyone in favor of the Mickey ride has used the reverse of that logic. I haven’t heard anyone insinuate that a Mickey ride was missed somehow. More that they (we) are excited to finally get one. But really I think the excitement is more surrounding the Ride concept.
not to mention walt really wanted a mickey ride, he just was never able to get one done before he died

TwilightZone

Really? Why? Seems like that would have been a top priority, certainly moreso than Mr. Toad's Wild Ride or The Bathroom of Tomorrow.
can't remember the exact details, but I think it was because of possible budget reasons or him not being able to come up with good attraction ideas for it.
since it was so long ago that I read the webpage, the ride details are not accessible to me and it may have never been thought up by walt to begin with.
still an interesting topic though

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom