Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

No Name

How is it incorrect? Your stats prove that it has never been as popular. 2 million people is a lot of people. Some parks get that many visitors in an entire season.

You said "it has never been nearly as popular." 12 million vs 14 million doesn't really fit that bill.

And I don't see your point, since no other non-castle park has ever been only two million visitors shy of the castle park. No other non-castle park except Tokyo DisneySea has reached Epcot's 12 million visitors. You were trying to use Epcot to prove a point, but those stats go against that.

D

Deleted member 107043

You said "it has never been nearly as popular." 12 million vs 14 million doesn't really fit that bill.

But regardless, I don't see your point, since no other non-castle park has ever been only two million visitors shy of the castle park. No other non-castle-park except Tokyo DisneySea has reached Epcot's 12 million visitors. You were trying to use Epcot to prove a point and those stats go against that.

The only point I was making is that there is strong evidence that IP drives attendance at Disney Parks more than cerebral subjects like science, technology, or historical fact, and pointed to DCA 1.0 and EPCOT to illustrate my point. I'm not disputing your comments, however nothing you've provided here disproves my point that with few exceptions Studio IP based attractions have always had more longevity and popularity with guests than non-Studio IP based attractions.

Pixieish

The only point I was making is that there is evidence that IP drives attendance at Disney Parks more than cerebral subjects like science, technology, or historical fact, and pointed to DCA 1.0 and EPCOT to illustrate my point. I'm not disputing your comments, however nothing you've provided here disproves my point that with few exceptions Studio IP based attractions have always had more longevity and popularity with guests than non-Studio IP based attractions.

As a parent though, the edutainment was a nice excuse to pull the kids out of school for "educational purposes". ;)

No Name

The only point I was making is that there is strong evidence that IP drives attendance at Disney Parks more than cerebral subjects like science, technology, or historical fact, and pointed to DCA 1.0 and EPCOT to illustrate my point. I'm not disputing your comments, however nothing you've provided here disproves my point that with few exceptions Studio IP based attractions have always had more longevity and popularity with guests than non-Studio IP based attractions.

Okay, so then you recognize that your Epcot example completely failed? The park's attendance was higher when it had more "cerebral subjects" than IP-based rides.

Also, you have zero evidence that an increase in IP is responsible for DCA's increase in attendance. You have zero evidence. The two came along at the same time. Point me to a single example of where an increase in IP without quality led to an increase in attendance. You won't find any.

The last sentence made me laugh because the attractions with the most longevity have been majority non-studio-IP based attractions. Even Bob Chapek knows this and has said it.

Last edited:

Practical Pig

Okay, so then you recognize that your Epcot example completely failed? The park's attendance was higher when it had more "cerebral subjects" than IP-based rides.

Also, you have zero evidence that an increase in IP is responsible for DCA's increase in attendance. You have zero evidence. The two came along at the same time. Point me to a single example of where an increase in IP without quality led to an increase in attendance. You won't find any.

It will be interesting to watch what happens to attendance as Epcot continues the process in it's transformation into an IP synergy park. Will the numbers start turning, and seal the deal? Or will the effort fizzle and reopen the door to new original content? I hope for the latter, but history renders me cynical.

smile

pardon my continued derailment...
but i'm of the camp that believes epcot center (fw particularly) did not fail, but was failed - as well as tomorrowlands across the globe.

cutting edge tech will always be appreciated. with fw, disney aspired to combine that with a theme exploring what humanity did, does, used to, or may know about as fact regarding our collective time on this earth - we're all doomed when we fail to appreciate that.

the old guard, going back to walt, 'began the contract'...
subsequent decision makers, for reasons, decided to skimp on the payments - which, as we can see from their current states, are occasional payments most certainly due.

don't have an issue with appropriate culture based ips in ws; especially in this day and age where they're likely to be more faithful to their subject matter (ie. coco).

Last edited:

EricsBiscuit

Actually EPCOT Center had healthy attendance until they started gutting the omnimovers! It was unique in that it gave the public something they didn't know they wanted. That is what Disney should return to: giving the public what they don't know they want. The most successful attractions are PotC, HM, SM etc. they all have in common that they are not based on IPs.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Just finished the Steve Jobs bio over the weekend and something he said struck me as profound in relation to what we've been talking about with Epcot, attractions, etc.

“Some people say, "Give the customers what they want." But that's not my approach. Our job is to figure out what they're going to want before they do. I think Henry Ford once said, "If I'd asked customers what they wanted, they would have told me, 'A faster horse!'" People don't know what they want until you show it to them. That's why I never rely on market research. Our task is to read things that are not yet on the page.”

If only Disney understood that...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

Just finished the Steve Jobs bio over the weekend and something he said struck me as profound in relation to what we've been talking about with Epcot, attractions, etc.

“Some people say, "Give the customers what they want." But that's not my approach. Our job is to figure out what they're going to want before they do. I think Henry Ford once said, "If I'd asked customers what they wanted, they would have told me, 'A faster horse!'" People don't know what they want until you show it to them. That's why I never rely on market research. Our task is to read things that are not yet on the page.”

If only APPLE understood that.

Phroobar

Walt understood. The Walt Disney Company doesn't.

mickEblu

This is why we need someone like Musk to help design the new Tomorrowland whenever that happens. At this point I'm all for a complete demotion of all the TL buildings (including Space Mountain) and a new rethought Space Mountain in its place with the same or similar iconic weenie of course. If there is one land where we don't need to get too attached to the past it's Tomorrowland.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

This is why we need someone like Musk to help design the new Tomorrowland whenever that happens. At this point I'm all for a complete demotion of all the TL buildings (including Space Mountain) and a new rethought Space Mountain in its place with the same or similar iconic weenie of course. If there is one land where we don't need to get too attached to the past it's Tomorrowland.
Gosh, I'd love a totally gutted and redone TL.

brb1006

Can't wait for mickey mania 2
Oh boy, a new Mickey Mania Parade :D

Mickey Mania 2: Electric Boogaloo
mmania12.jpg

MMP5896712.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom