Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

George Lucas on a Bench

20201005_124014.jpg
20201005_124007.jpg

Brer Oswald

Florida's Space Mountain is a much better coaster, but California's is a better experience IMO. Florida just needs a new track and some minor updates and it would easily be the better attraction.
I think the opposite. The California coaster is better, but the queue, the music, and the overall atmosphere add up to a greater experience

mickEblu

The WDW Space Mountain is a more interesting ride. The one at DL just glides around turning to the right and has one little drop. And you can't ride it anymore.

By only going off what I’ve heard and watching ride throughs I seem to disagree with the majority on the below rides.

WDW has the more fun Space Mountain and Indy equivalent. DL has the better Splash Mountain. I’m unsure about Mansion, I’ll have to wait to actually ride that one.

George Lucas on a Bench

I prefer the Space Mt in Florida, DL version of HM and Dinosour. However, it isn't exactly a case of any version of these being bad, regardless of what @TP2000 says. Dinosour is awesome! The differences between the Mansion come down to the intro scenes and those don't exactly win me over. They removed the eyeball painting part and the "new" staircase scene looks like Harry Potter. DL's feels less altered and has some elements that are just better, such as the skull that pops out of the coffin making an audible blasting sound and the trees with faces.

mickEblu

I prefer the Space Mt in Florida, DL version of HM and Dinosour. However, it isn't exactly a case of any version of these being bad, regardless of what @TP2000 says. Dinosour is awesome! The differences between the Mansion come down to the intro scenes and those don't exactly win me over. They removed the eyeball painting part and the "new" staircase scene looks like Harry Potter. DL's feels less altered and has some elements that are just better, such as the skull that pops out of the coffin making an audible blasting sound and the trees with faces.

Makes sense. And the excellence that is DL’s HM exterior and facade can’t be understated. The queue also still had that old school Disney charm.

Rich Brownn

Not to mention, the Tokyo version is actually maintained. Though I do wish they had kept the Mara theme, instead of the Crystal Skull which later became the worst of Indy's films.

It's tragic to think about how dang good the trajectory for Disneyland Park was at the start of the year. Avenger's Campus promising to be a bona fide improvement over the budget "bugs land".

Since 1983 every person who's ridden Snow White has wondered what the heck that ending was- and WDI was finally trying to address it.

Haunted Mansion, an aging yet beloved attraction suffering from 20 years of additional wear and tear from the annual overlay was finally getting a thorough refurbishment.

Tomorrowland was finally getting some much needed aesthetic improvements, with those awful mars rocks going away and a new paint scheme and entrance that hearkens back to the '60s and '70s- the golden age of Tomorrowland.

And Indiana Jones Adventure- Tony Baxter and the second generation of Imagineering's crown jewel attraction that has more broken effects than working ones was getting an extended refurbishment as well that would hopefully have addressed many of the lighting and effect issues present in the attraction. And maybe even address the ride system's shoddy reliability- that likely could be greatly improved with some updating to bring the aging attraction into the 21 century.

For the first time since the dark ride updates in 2014/15 I was actually excited about stuff happening at Disneyland- the year was promising to be a nice change of pace from shoddy overlays and disappointing lands and lousy updates to an iconic night time spectacular.

Of course, this all seems negligible and meaningless now that 2020 took a dramatically different turn- with extended closures postponing every new addition for years to come. Disneyland laying off thousands of employees at all levels (though I hold out hope that with the right pruning in the management structure Disneyland could be primed to come back better than ever). Disney announcing changes to Splash Mountain, which is in just about everyone's top 5 list of favorite attractions, based on a creative concept that wasn't even fleshed out at a time where budgets are being slashed left and right.

Man this year blows.
The Crystal Skull theme for the ride was long before the movie was dreamed up. Just one of those weird coincidences that the same mystery was attractive to a story for the character.

Rich Brownn

The original version actually had a big asteroid ball in the place of the IJ ball.

What I find clever about Dinosour is that I believe it is the exact same layout as IJ, so they just re-jiggered it to have dinos and such. There are also many underrated effects such as the chasing dino, dinos jumping over the car, flying pterodactyl and charming meteor shower lights. Maybe these things don't work anymore, but I thought it was great.
During previews they also had what appeared to be a chunk of meteor break off and fl directly at you (It was right before the turn into the decent). Freaked the hell of of everyone.. I had to ride it a second time to see how it was done (projection on smoke blasted at you). It must have freaked out too many people, because by opening for softs it was gone.

BasiltheBatLord

I actually think Tokyo's last half of the ride after the main room is highly superior to Anaheims. I wish they would bring this effect over and replace the fog screen/rat in trees.
Yeah this is imo the single reason why Tokyo has the superior IJA. That part of the California attraction is super weird, the projected rat effect is confusing and for whatever reason they cheaped out on the dart hallway and made it look like a carnival ride.

The tornado effect looks kinda weak in person though and I think the fire is better. That being said the fire in California is often either off or super dialed down so maybe it balances out.

SplashGhost

I think the opposite. The California coaster is better, but the queue, the music, and the overall atmosphere add up to a greater experience

I agree the queue and the music in the queue for the WDW Space are better than DL. However, I overall much prefer the DL version for the actual ride itself.

The ultimate Space Mountain would be the queue of the WDW one, with the ride of the DL one. However, I would like a few more drops added to the DL version to make it even better.

MarvelCharacterNerd

I’m unsure about Mansion, I’ll have to wait to actually ride that one.
DL's HM is superior. If simply because this room is ACTUALLY stretching. lol It's the original and it's exquisite and perfect.

That said I LOVE WDW's HM. I love the differences in the exterior. I love the differences in the queue. I love the differences in the attraction (don't want to get too specific in case you've remained unspoilered). The differences make it a related but not totally cloned experience. I would never sacrifice anything in DL's HM for WDW's, but I think theirs is absolutely fantastic and so enjoy the alternate experience there!

George Lucas on a Bench

I prefer the outside of the DL house. It looks like an actual mansion, yet simultaneously like a southern bed and breakfast. The one in Florida always looked too small even when I was a kid, although it resembles the Wayne Manor from the Adam West Batman TV show.

The wood paneled room does stretch longer and size does matter. The ride itself is far more preserved than the Floridian version. I just prefer it in CA even if they ruin it for half the year.

That being said, Disneyworld version is open. It's winning this war and it's so wrong.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom